VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is on that Dell GX260 I got recently. Just to be safe: 2.80ghz Pentium 4, 128mb AGP Geforce ti4200, SB Audigy 2, 512mb ram, uses Plop Boot Manager to dual-boot Win98SE and Windows XP (the two Windowses can't see each other but there is a shared data partition).

The keyboard in question is one I got years ago, its some Hewlett-Pacard USB model I got at Wal-Mart that I've been using ever since.

Here's the odd thing: when I boot this PC up in Win98SE, there's NO odd behavior whatsoever. The keyboard does its thing and all games and programs behave how I expect them to.

The oddities start in Windows XP (SP3).

First one I noticed was any time I start typing stuff in wordpad or notepad... whenever I have "quotes" (or even 'quotes' like these--they're on the same key) I have to press the button twice, then BOTH sets of quotes show up. So when I type "this" I have to hit the quote button twice, then go back and put the word this between the two quotes... though I also discovered if I hit the quote key then any letter both will show up at the same time in the order I typed them. I figured this might be normal behavior for XP but now I'm not sure.

Yesterday, I loaded up Dosbox and did some gaming. First Rayman--no odd behavior--then Doom--no odd behavior--then Wolfenstein 3D...

... There was odd behavior.

Specifically, I noticed Wolf3D (this being the copy off the ID Anthology collection. I suppose I could test other versions though) would do this thing where BJ would keep moving or turning a second AFTER I let up the key. I tried remapping the movement but no matter what controls I had set, this behavior remained.

For the record, this is Dosbox 0.74, downloaded off of Dosbox's own website. Its the installation executable.

Also for the record, this was using my default conf. One thing I always do when I install Dosbox is I set the desktop shortcut to point to C:\DOSBOXCONF\default.conf With the default being basically Dosbox's normal startup, but it automatically goes fullscreen and auto-mounts C:\DOSBOX_DRIVE_C as my C:\ drive. The conf directory is mainly just so they're not all nested behind walls and walls of subdirectories like some installations do it.

Now, I figured this might be just a Dosbox thing, but here's the catch:

I booted the comp up in Windows 98SE and played Wolf3D there. Now, this wasn't a reinstall--I directly copied the Dosbox_Drive_C directory to my shared-data drive and from there, copied it onto Windows 98SE's C: drive. I also copied the conf and set up the desktop shortcut the same way, and yes, this is the exact same version of Dosbox.

Wolf3D in Windows 98 did NOT display the same behavior. And it goes without saying that the wordpad double-quotes issue is also not present.

Same Dosbox. Same keyboard. Same PC even. Only thing that changes is the OS.

So... apparently XP somehow handles the keyboard differently, but thing is I'm having trouble finding any information about this online--apparently nobody but me has ever run into this!

I'm not sure what to do here. I thought maybe Stickykeys might've been enabled but I checked and, it isn't. But other than that there's actually no other special keyboard-related stuff I can check in Windows XP that tells me anything.

So I'm at a loss.

Any theories as to what's going on?

Thanks in advance. Also sorry if this is the wrong board but since this issue involved both a word processor and a game in Dosbox I wasn't sure where it qualified more.

Reply 2 of 6, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll check but I don't think I saw one. I went to device manager to see if it had any special options I could access to change this.

But again wasn't really paying attention so I'll double and triple-check (didn't even know there was a "hidden devices" option)

Reply 3 of 6, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the Accessibility options in the Control Panel, my guess would be there's something enabled in there that changes how the keyboard works with the intent of making it easier for people with disabilities to use. This could also explain why it only happens in XP and nowhere else.

Reply 4 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

sounds like you selected a keyboard layout/language which has double keys (internal keyboard layout maybe?)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a keyboard layout that includes "smart" features for typing accents and the like. It's a total pain in the behind to work with (as you have discovered) - IIRC, it's called "International" or something. Just set the keyboard layout to US English instead.

Reply 6 of 6, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, sorry I took so long following up, thing is day I posted this was the day my OTHER PC returned from repairs so I got caught up playing with that.

But I tested your suggestions and...

... Yup, the keyboard was somehow set to "International" instead of "US." Changing it fixed the wordpad issue.

Wolf3D in DOSBOX wasn't fixed immediately, but then I realized the custom config I was using was made back when I had the wrong keyboard settings, so I deleted that custom conf, ran the "Reset Keymapper" batch, then made a new custom conf based on Dosbox's default. This seems to have fixed the Wolf3D issue. Even if it doesn't, this comp dualboots into Win98 which never had the same problem.

So there you go. Problem solved, guys!