VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im building an AT Pentium PC inside what I think is a 486 PC case I got so far then I realised that there is no place to put the hard drive, I dont have any extra caddies or extra parts for this case so can someone tell me where the IDE hard drive goes in this case? There is enough room for 3 CD/DVD bays and a floppy disk which are not installed yet and the hard drive is thiner/to small for the CD/DVD bay so it cant go there, there are no holes to screw in to the bottom of the case and I have not put the power supply in yet so it cant go there, did I make a grave mistake by using this case that might not have a home for a hard drive?

20180827_231654_zpscapbq0vq.jpg

20180827_231751_zpsudc5yubv.jpg

20180827_231710_zpsqyubss6t.jpg

Reply 3 of 14, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or use a 5.25" mobile HDD rack for 3.5" HDDs. In case you want to run different operating systems on separate HDDs just get one caddy for each disk.

My retro computers

Reply 4 of 14, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You painted that case didn't you?

It looks quite nice. I have a very similar case and that makes me thing it could be interesting to cut the cover to put in a Plexiglas window and paint it as well.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 5 of 14, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One can mount where the speaker is. Un screw the bracket and the drive mounts to that using screws through the metal bracket into the bottom of the hard drive.

Reply 6 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks that was a nice compliment about the paint job but I didnt paint it all I did was take it apart completely and wash it and because its got some good paint the parts that had scuff marks and heavy grime come off great with a green scourer we have them here at Australia for in the kitchen on dishes its basically the same things my friend used in his home business to prep cars for paint jobs. Putting a window in on the top would be great but Im selling this one so I will mention it in the add I make but wouldnt a window make it a weak point if a monitor was put on top? Since im selling this one I will get an adapter or caddie its a pity doing it this way as I have to sacrifice a drive bay.

Reply 7 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked to see about the bracket where the speaker is gbeirn but the bracket and the plate behind the bracket does not have the correct holes for the hdd so I will have to keep it how it is and use an adaptor or caddie

Reply 9 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd say using a 3.5" HDD to 5.25" bay rack would suffice. I have one in my Socket 7 AT case since the mounting bracket holding the LS-120 SuperDisk and PCMCIA card slot is falling apart.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 14, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that it helps, really, but I used to have two very similar horizontal AT cases; they both mounted a single 3.5" HDD in a metal bracket underneath the PSU. The bracket was completely removable, and the PSU would rest on the top. It's possible your case used a similar bracket, but whoever pulled the HDD didn't realize the bracket was a component of the case rather than of the HDD.

Reply 11 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I have the same problem in one of my AT cases. The previous owner didn't just remove the hard drive, he removed the entire drive cage. I put the drive in one of the 5.25" bays. Note that cases aren't designed to host drives in those bays so you should organise some kind of cooling for the drive.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it was me, I'd just use some long (or joined) thin zip ties thru the top & bottom row of holes on the speaker bracket - thread them thru back to front and tighten in a loop right round the bracket & drive case, adding small pads below the drive case for vibration if you want.

Reply 13 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

Yes, I have the same problem in one of my AT cases. The previous owner didn't just remove the hard drive, he removed the entire drive cage. I put the drive in one of the 5.25" bays. Note that cases aren't designed to host drives in those bays so you should organise some kind of cooling for the drive.

The one bracket I have did have a fan in it until the fan stopped working, and you're absolutely right about that. My plan for the hard drive bracket I have is to put in a fan in front of the hard drive and solder it or hook it up to the pin header on the board itself.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser