VOGONS

DOSBOX on AMIGA

Topic actions

First post, by som99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I am a BIG fan of amiga and have lots of amigas at home and now ive read that its easy to port the dosbox to other systems and then i want a dosbox that works on amiga os workbench 1.3 or 3.0 or any version you guys could make it work on.
TY IN ADV yours //som99

-=[som99]=-
-=[AMIGA 4 EVER]=-

Reply 2 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the AMIGA 500 had a very low Motorola 68010 processor <10Mhz

I don't know for newer AMIGA versions, but as almost everything is EMULATED in DOSBox, you will need a hefty processor to run demanding things.

On the other hand, I don't know if SDL.DLL or some other DLLs used by DOSBox are ported to AMIGA. Maybe someone else can jump in and enlighten us.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 20, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe dosbox has been ported to OS4, probably limited to running on an Amiga One (OS4 is in testing/development phase - not commercially released yet). I don't see legacy amigas being powerful enough to run a port of dosbox, even with the more common accelertor boards. At leat not to the extent that it would work with the more resource demanding dos games.

Reply 4 of 20, by som99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm the thing is that amiga 500 got 4MHz but the newer amigas i use 400t and such with newest rom and os 3.x will be powerfull enought i think so someone must be able to do it like ive heard "less is more" so dont think its a impossible task to do dosbox on a os 3 system dont have to run the better games just some of the realy old ones would be cool.

-=[som99]=-
-=[AMIGA 4 EVER]=-

Reply 5 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if you think it is possible, prove it: Do it! We are no 24/7 deluxe service center, fulfilling your every wish, but hobby programmers who do what we have fun at. Phrasing things like "I want ..." is a bad idea with such people. Try "Where can I find information on..." or "Did anyone ever ...", and last but not least, search the forums and google yourself to see if someone had the same idea.

Reply 6 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I agree with moe.
Some people don't seem to realize that we do this as a hobby.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 20, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There will be no dosbox port for old Amiga's, by anyone, ever (well, never say never). These days, most Amiga software is used on a windows based PC emulating amiga hardware. I hope you see the point I am making here. Furhter more, there is little point in a dos box port that will only worl with a limited range of very early dos games.

I still have an Amiga 1200 so its that I am biased. Its just an issue of what is practical and hat makes sense.

Perhaps you should try getting some info on the english amiga board:

http://eab.abime.net/

Reply 8 of 20, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The closest of an Amiga version is the MorphOS version.

http://www.morphos.org/
http://www.ppa.pl/artykuly/artykul.php?idd=2&ids=27&id=319

SDL is available for AmigaOS4 too, but never expect DOSBox to appear on AmigaOS3.x or earlier.

Reply 9 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckrogers wrote:

Furhter more, there is little point in a dos box port that will only worl with a limited range of very early dos games.

Funny thing, this is something I often read. People said it regarding PocketPC versions or the Dreamcast port as well. How can you assume what games I like to play? Taking me as an example, there are lots of EGA/early VGA games worth playing (for me), and many of them still ran on 286's (or even less, but 286 was the lowest I ever used). There are other people with even less demand, loving to play CGA or textmode games for XT/AT-like machines. So while I dislike the way the original poster has asked, please don't call any port "pointless". If it runs something, it has a point.

Reply 10 of 20, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You miss the point. The use of a windows based system to emulate an amiga is widespread and is only going to continue to grow. Dosbox already runs on this platform. Hence the point of a windows based system emulating and amiga, which is then emulating dosbox, is a little redundant.

Reply 11 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, no, I mean it as I say. There are people with real AMIGAs, as this thread shows, and I am not referring to those running an emu. You're right that running dosbox in an AMIGA emu is pointless, but running it on a real box is not (as long as it is possible).

Reply 12 of 20, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are Amiga specific PC emulators, though, that works faster than DOSBox since it use assembler and stuff. I've played Wolfenstein 3D on it myself. But that emulator is commercial, though 🙁

Reply 15 of 20, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Forgive me, but I think NO emulator will never run faster than the real thing.

Sure it will. DOSbox emulating an XT is a lot faster than a true XT 😀.

JAL

Reply 17 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No emulator wil ever FEEL like the real thing.

Yeah you can save yourself a TON of hardware troublshooting of old 486 and down hardware by using DOSBOX. 😀 But I enjoy setting up config.sys and autoexec.bat and all the wonderful VLB hardware out there to give up on the real thing!

Reply 18 of 20, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
som99 wrote:

Hello I am a BIG fan of amiga and have lots of amigas at home and now ive read that its easy to port the dosbox to other systems and then i want a dosbox that works on amiga os workbench 1.3 or 3.0 or any version you guys could make it work on.
TY IN ADV yours //som99

Yep here you go, sorry it took a few years 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb-0EsIrbfw

Reply 19 of 20, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NovaCoder wrote:

Yep here you go, sorry it took a few years

"A few years" 😀. So what exactly is running and how? The Amithlon is an x86 machine right? But what does it run dosbox in? The underlying Linux, or the emulated 68k?

JAL