Reply 622 of 768, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nier Automata
17hr 42m

Very good game.
Fighting is simplified but makes it easy to get back into when you haven't played in awhile.
Graphics look great.
No crashes or performance issues.

Game has multiple endings but I don't see much point in playing again.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 623 of 768, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diablo II LOD at 1.13C patch with Paladin and after that with Necromancer. And after that I stopped playing that game completely.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 624 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. According to Steam, it took me 29 hrs, but according to gamefaqs and howlongtobeat, it's only about a 10 hr game. I guess I'm just slow. At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's worthy of the Wolfenstein line. Wolfenstein: The New Order is next! BTW, still chugging along on Anvil of Dawn on my DOS rig. 😉

edit: the in-game timer says I only played 12 hrs, which seems more reasonable. Steam may be tracking the times I had the game sitting at the main menu while I was away from the PC.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 626 of 768, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While Hover just gets more difficult, it's pretty easy to memorize the locations of the flags.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 627 of 768, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Beneath a Steel Sky and two official Quake 2 addons, I played them under Manjaro Linux using Yamagi port because GoG version can`t start on my two laptops (with GMA900/950) and one PC (7600GS) with XP.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 628 of 768, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

XONIX. old dos version. The highscore was maximum 65535, thus I made overflow for this. 😉

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 629 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Anvil of Dawn on my DOS PC. I must say, it was a pretty awesome game. I'm estimating about 50 hrs of gameplay. Here is the obligatory proof:

anvil of dawn.jpg
Filename
anvil of dawn.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Next up, I think I'll take a stab at Stonekeep.

Reply 630 of 768, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently finished Soldier of Fortune: Platinum Edition. It's been a long time, John Mullins. Had to test my re-rebuilt P3 - it was offline for almost a year, since I "borrowed" PSU for another project. It's a pass for the machine, though at first it was slowing to a crawl (I realized that it was due to SB live 4830 struggle with EAX).

SOF.jpg

One of those (B-rated) games where you just have to use a certain weapon to have the most fun. Shotgun and Desert Eagle make the best companions. Nevertheless, some levels are a pure chore. Also, a few aspects like the energy weapon and uber-villains are pushing it too far for a supposedly "real life" shooter, imo. But, to be honest, many games are guilty of the crime.

Well, at least now I know about the whole "conspiracy" with Saddam's WMD.

Reply 631 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished the original F.E.A.R. I must say, it's a nice change of pace not to have to battle an endgame boss to beat the game. Interesting story, though a bit confusing at times. The enemy AI lived up to its reputation and the choice of weapons was pretty cool. Some of the scare jumps were pretty creepy, but many of them were eye-rolling. Definitely not as memorable as something like Half Life or my personal favorite FPS series--RtCW, but it was definitely an above-average game. I'm guessing it took me 20-25 hrs to finish it over the course of 60 days (Oct 7 to Dec 6).

fear1a.png
Filename
fear1a.png
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 632 of 768, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished Dungeon Siege today on my Windows XP machine, a decent hack n slash although it was feeling monotonous towards the end. I also have the expansion Legends of Aranna, but I don't think I'll play it now, have had enough.

Next up is Need for Speed: Shift 2 – Unleashed. I loved the first Shift and have been waiting for a cheap copy of Shift 2 to come up which the current Steam sale have supplied. Installing the 7.1GB on Steam now 😒

Reply 633 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. The final mission was brilliant, and the enemy AI was pretty decent to boot! I typically play games like this on Easy skill level, and this game's Easy is pretty pathetic, especially in outdoor environments. Fortunately, the last mission was almost entirely indoors, so it made the game much more enjoyable.

2019-01-01 15_26_02-Medal of Honor Allied Assault.png
Filename
2019-01-01 15_26_02-Medal of Honor Allied Assault.png
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license

Final stats:
the game took me 13 hours and 15 minutes to finish over the course of 24 days. The final mission, Return to Fort Schmerzen, was by far the longest mission, taking me 4 hours and 48 minutes to complete.

2019-01-01 15_32_31-games.ods - LibreOffice Calc.png
Filename
2019-01-01 15_32_31-games.ods - LibreOffice Calc.png
File size
68.48 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 634 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Completed Stonekeep! Much better RPG than I expected it to be. I often see RPG rankings where this is quite low, and games like Anvil of Dawn outrank it. But having played both, Stonekeep is much better than AoD. Where SK excels at is drawing the player into the game world. Technically, it's one of the best-sounding General MIDI implementations I've heard, with well-composed scores as well. Graphics, despite being VGA, were extremely impressive. On the downside, what was probably most frustrating was the lack of a good inventory identification system. When you pick an item for the first time, it is recorded in your journal with a black-and-white depiction and name of item. In your actual inventory, it is displayed in color with no name. Some items look very similar, so it becomes a guessing game to figure out which orb is which, or ax, sword, dagger, etc. Simply labeling the items with a single word on mouse-over would've solved this.

I'm more of a fan of isometric perspectives and turn-based combat, but I still rank this fairly high on my list of RPGs I've completed in the last few years:
1 System Shock 2
2 Ultima Underworld II
3 Ultima VII Pt. 2 Serpent Isle
4 System Shock
5 Baldur’s Gate 1
6 Lords of Xulima
7 Eschalon Book 1
8 Stonekeep
9 Ultima Underworld I
10 Realms of Arkania I
11 Might and Magic 4: Clouds of Xeen
12 Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
13 Legend of Grimrock 1
14 Anvil of Dawn

I consider all of these games to be very good, but this list differentiates them a bit according to the impression they left on me.

All told, the game took me 44 hours over the course of 48 days.

stonekeep-1.jpg
Filename
stonekeep-1.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File comment
Defeated Khull-Khuum. His orb rests on the floor...
File license
stonekeep-2.jpg
Filename
stonekeep-2.jpg
File size
750.7 KiB
Views
File comment
Final orb puzzle...
File license

Reply 635 of 768, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Original Doom for the first time in a decade or so, ultra violence difficulty of course and using Doomsday source port. The granddaddy of FPS games stills holds up incredibly well and I had a blast playing it, though I still do prefer Knee-Deep in the Dead over the two other episodes. I just like the "futuristic base" style it has going on, the levels in the other two are a bit messy and less coherent at times but I guess that fits the hellish theme. Found all the secrets (though I did give myself full map if I didn't find all of them by myself), did all three secret levels and killed every enemy except one Lost Soul hanging around in a place I didn't need to go (for some reason I still got 100% kills) and one Demon that just refused to teleport itself out of the moster closet where the player can't get to. Had forgot what a pushover the Spiderdemon was.

Next one up is the fourth episode "Thy Flesh Consumed" which I've never played before, but what I've read about it sounds nasty so not entirely sure should I go for ultra violence with that one.

Reply 636 of 768, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

games i gave up on as a kid:

-syndicate
-ufo:tftd
-command and conquer (i finished red alert tho) due to one of those missions you don't get an MCV. i was a build-100-medium-tanks kind of player.
-descent
-ultima pagan
-the terrible terrible street fighter 2 port for pc

i will beat these games one day (not sf2 on dos, no way). i even tried out TFTD again a few years back... nope. damn lobster men.

Reply 638 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Metro 2033. Took me 16.5 hrs over the course of 42 days. I did not get the Enlightened ending. 🤣.

Reply 639 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Pillars of Eternity. Probably the most satisfying endgame sequence I've ever experienced! The game itself was incredible, but for me, a little too long. It took me almost 81 hrs to complete it, and that was with the decision to skip a bunch of sidequests in Act 3. It could easily have been well over 100 hrs.