VOGONS

First post, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally put together a system for late dos, glide and early direct x gaming, as well as a heap of word processing.

I have had Turrican 2 (386 era) and Heretic 2 demo working, so I hope to be able to play a wide cross section of games. Bit of Quake (2?), late 90's rpg's (diablo 2 maybe).

Asus P3b-f - Intel BX, 2 x isa, 5 x pci, AGP, jumperless bios
Intel P3 500mhz
Matrox G450 32mb pci - dual vga and dvi outputs
pair 12mb Righteous Orchid 3D2 voodoo2's sli'd
Roland SCC-1 general midi isa
Soundblaster AWE64 gold isa (for older DOS games that don't like EMS)
Creative 4810 pci
Viewsonic VP191b 19" lcd, 8ms, dual vga + dvi inputs, 1280 x 1024
Viewsonic 17" CRT trinitron screen for low res DOS games

Contemplating the following upgrades:
Intel P3 933mhz
Audigy platinum instead of the vibra 4810
Voodoo3 3500 instead of the voodoo2's

The voodoo2's are hogging 2 pci slots, and I want to add a NIC and SCSI raid controller. I will only be playing later glide/miniGL games, but I am concerned over compatibility

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What OS do you have on it?
What kinds of storage devices (e.g. hard drives) does it have, and what are their speeds/capacities?

A PIII-500 is plenty fast for the era of games you're interested in. I had a PII-450 for years and ran all sorts of great games on it up until around 3 years ago. Some of the games that were cutting edge when my PII-450 was top-of-the-line were Baldur's Gate and Half-Life 1.

Reply 2 of 5, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am currently running win98, with a 20gig IDE. I have a copy of 98SE on the way, and a copy of ME to upgrade the look and feel of 98SE. I am getting a scsi raid controller and will run two mirrored SCSI HD's - U160's10k speek, 18 or 36gig.

Reply 4 of 5, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice setup!
Replacing the pair of Voodoo2 cards with a more modern AGP Voodoo card is no problem regarding Glide compatibility. The coolest option would be a Voodoo5, but they are quite hard to get.