Common searches

VNC for DOS?

Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know if there is a VNC viewer/client that lets you control a more modern
system from say a 8086/286 system with 640k? I did a quick search and found one on
Sourceforge but it looks like it hasn’t been updated in ages.

I’m thinking of consolidating some of my systems to one box and it would be nice
to have the option of running things that won’t run on a stock Tandy 1000TX, even
if I have to cheat a little to do it.

Reply 1 of 13, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm not sure 640kB is even nearly close to what a simple vnc implementation might require; You have to have a copy of the entire screen at all times;
i also wonder how much time such a machine would require to pull an entire picture from network

Reply 2 of 13, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a VNC client for the Apple IIgs. It works, but is very limited and slow.

https://github.com/sheumann/VNCviewGS

An XT would be a bit more limited inuse. At least the IIgs can address more RAM and has better than CGA video.

Reply 3 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Besides RAM protocols like VNC need quite a bit of CPU as well. Also, you need a TCP stack and a NIC...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But will it run on a 8086? I thinkmquite a few FreeDOS features require a 386.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, there were UNIX servers, using telnet, as mentioned above, or even teletypes over networks/phone. DOS/NetWare servers were not so much administered remotely...

Last edited by root42 on 2018-09-24, 08:58. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 9 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DESQView /X supported X11 on DOS. Some sort of remote desktop functionality should have been there.
Also, PC-Tools had some remote feature, I recall. I'm speaking under correction, however.

Edit: These likely require 286 or 386 systems, however. 8086 PCs were better terminals at best.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IF you have PCI you can get out of band management cards, HP/Compaq ilo cards are the best known but other brands exist. They actually work on any PC.
I've got a first generation ILO (RILOE)card but haven't got it working on anything later then IE6 (Haven't tried very hard either though)

Reply 11 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2018-09-24, 06:09:

Also, PC-Tools had some remote feature, I recall. I'm speaking under correction, however.

Re: Remote DOS shell

😇

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 13, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were quite a lot of programs of the PCAnywhere / Carbon Copy type. At least earlier versions supported 640K machines, but they'd be finnicky to use by today's expectations.

For server administration though, graphics typically weren't needed. I'd be highly surprised if most network server software couldn't enable a Telnet / BBS-door-like functionality.

Edit: didn't notice age of thread. Oh well 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 13 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileR wrote on 2020-07-28, 23:16:

There were quite a lot of programs of the PCAnywhere / Carbon Copy type. At least earlier versions supported 640K machines, but they'd be finnicky to use by today's expectations.

For server administration though, graphics typically weren't needed. I'd be highly surprised if most network server software couldn't enable a Telnet / BBS-door-like functionality.

Edit: didn't notice age of thread. Oh well 😀

Thank you very much for the information! 😁
Seems PC Anywhere was originally made by Dynamic Microprocessor Associates, Inc.,
before it was bought by "evil" Symantec, so I may give it a try.

Here's some description that I found:

Version 4.5 adds the ability to control Windows 3.0 remotely from DOS, scripting, and Ethernet IPX networking support.

It boasted the fastest, most responsive remote sessions of all competing remote control applications. It competed against CO/Session, Close Up, Commute, and Carbon Copy.

//My video channel//