VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought about doing a Wiki for this but why bother with Wiki's when we have this here wonderful forum? 😎

Basically....There should be another GAMES forum. Not sure if we should make subforums, Linux,Windows,DOS,MAC,etc..etc. Basically the list would be too long for subforums so I propose just a simple GAMES forum. Within this Games forum we search the Vogons forum and create specific topics for each game.

Example:

Create a "Rise of the Triad" topic in the GAMES forum.

Okay, so now we search the Vogons forum for any mention of Rise of the Triad (obviously ROTT will be in forum topics that have nothing to do with the game....someone just mentions it in passing...so just ignore it). So we find the kinds of posts about ROTT that should be in the "Rise of the Triad" topic in the GAMES forum. So we assimilate all of that information, place that information into the Rise of the Triad topic in the Games forum and delete the original post.

This would lead the way to being able to link to the thread from the DosBox compatibility database (or any other compatibility database). Within each Game Topic we'd have to have a common format...IF under DosBox then use these settings, If under Real DOS, if under 9x Dos, if under NT NTVDM, if under Linux, etc...etc....(No need to think about this while assimilating the information, simple take the information as gathered and then post it in the topic for organization later).

There will also be alot of "misc" info in each topic that we gather the information from.....much of it will be junk tho...but we need to be careful that we don't delete something important. Basically everything is suspect...even the smallest piece of information may be usefull to someone.

Obviously such an undertaking would take everyone's help but I think it would make things much easier.....eventually.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is an awful lot of useful information buried in these forums. This would be a nice way to organize this data. Not only would the information be more coherent and easier to find, but could also eliminate redundant posts and clear some of the clutter on VOGONS. As far as deleting things goes, you could have a "recycle bin" to move discarded stuff to until it is deemed not needed.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd sooner have a Wiki style repository and keep the forum for chatter about the game(s). The format of a Wiki just fits better IMO.

I do like the idea of 1 game, 1 topic but I doubt that 75% of the people posting here (all the 'guests' would consider that as high on their list of priorities... The only downside to the idea is that if it involves overworked & undervalued mods to perform the updates then the time between a post and it appearing as 'useful' info in the game post could be very lengthy (if ever) it's likely that you're never gonna catch all little scraps of info.

Reply 3 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A VOGONS wiki would be a really good idea because it could address all sorts of things on a per-game basis (including running various DOS games under Win9x, NTVDM, VDMSound, DOSBox, Glidos and Windows 9x games under XP).

Reply 4 of 5, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To the user,is surely a good idea,because it matches the classification with the goal.
I don´t know if it creates a problem to the devlopment/work,because when the problem is puting graphics in a game,the expert must studie graphics things,not games (I think).
Best regards,

just younger than computers

Reply 5 of 5, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonderful idea, but I agree with those who think that a wiki is the better option to realise this.

The forum contains excellent information I've never expected to find anywhere on the net. The problem is that those gems are scattered all over the forum or buried deep in some thread about a different topic (and the phpBB search function is not really helping much).

Setting up the wiki may be more work at first, but it would pay off very soon. I think you could count on many of the forum regulars to contribute to a wiki-style project.