VOGONS

First post, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps not the best title to express my question, but that's what the rest of this post is for 😎

I'm doing some thinking about what I have, and what I want, and what I ultimately would like to do..

I've still got my old FIC / K6-2 / K6-III+ stuff sitting around that I haven't touched for lack of interest at the moment. That's intended for mostly DOS, maybe early Win95 stuff....

And I've got this dell I've been playing with. Ideally I would just keep it and upgrade the CPU / GPU / RAM but ultimately the platform (mobo) is just too limiting. It doesn't even have an AGP port.

Now you have boards like the ASUS P5PE-VM, but I'm wondering if there is anything similar also out there. Ideally I want to have a machine that can run the gamut of Windows 98 games but also play early WindowsXP era titles as well - maybe even something that has a PCI-Express port (I doubt this very much but figured I'd ask). I've still got my old 8800GTS 512MB so it would be neat to throw that into a machine again... But I somehow doubt it could do Windows98 very well, if at all

Any suggestions for Socket 370 or LGA775 boards like the ASUS P5PE-VM ?? Any nForce chipset boards worth looking at? I had an AMD based one for a while but I don't remember exactly what years those were.. Thought they had Win98 driver support though.

Reply 1 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 370 would make a good fast Win98 PC and was definitely a lot were upgraded to WinXP when it came out so will play early XP games ok. 9But then early XP games worked in 98 anyway)

775 is probably the other side, Good WinXP PC bit new for WIn98 for my tastes but with unofficial drivers it can be done.

For me Socket 478 is the ideal crossover system AGP, official Win98 support but even that is overkill for anything that wont run on XP natively.

NForce drivers were never that great. It's not to say they were terrible its what I built my brothers PC on back in the 2000's but AMD/Intel had better driver support.
Plus you need a PSU with strong +5v which modern PSU's don't have

oh and as your "bridging the gap" really you should be running Win2k, which a lot of games work fine with.

Reply 2 of 6, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually the ASUS P5PE-VM is a 775 board and has official Windows98 drivers, so that's why I was asking if other similar boards existed on 775. Hoping to find a setup cheaper. Not sure on the Win2k gaming thing though, prefer not to put myself in a situation where certain games really don't work as I'd already be dual-booting 98/XP anyway. (some 98 games just don't run/work well in XP as it is but that is neither here nor there)

Reply 3 of 6, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The biggest problem with that gap is the graphics card.

To have good compatibility with windows 98 games the fastest I would recommend is a Geforce FX card, it's just not very fast for windows XP games.

You can use something like the 4CoreDual-SATA2 with both an AGP and PCI-E card but I think it comes with its own set of problems.

I would personally use two systems instead, less of a headache. That said, I do install windows XP on my windows 98 machines, mostly to test out new components but also to run software that doesn't work under 98.

Reply 4 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I built such PC for both win98 and winXP
Asu A8V deluxe with Athlon64 FX-60
Radeon X850 AGP
2Gb ram (Limited to 512Mb when booting to win98)

Motherboard has all the driver for win9x too and it works well in many winXP games too because of the dual core cpu.

Reply 5 of 6, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:
I built such PC for both win98 and winXP Asu A8V deluxe with Athlon64 FX-60 Radeon X850 AGP 2Gb ram (Limited to 512Mb when booti […]
Show full quote

I built such PC for both win98 and winXP
Asu A8V deluxe with Athlon64 FX-60
Radeon X850 AGP
2Gb ram (Limited to 512Mb when booting to win98)

Motherboard has all the driver for win9x too and it works well in many winXP games too because of the dual core cpu.

i have the castrated model the a8v-x and i thought of the same thing but staying single core. its not bad setup for sure.

Op: i have the asus p5pe-vm as far as drivers for w98 your set finding the balance gpu wise is the toss up. cause x800-850 pe is expensive or can be. personally im running my p5pe-vm with a x1950xt agp i could care less of w98 i have a separate system for that. but i was going for fastest dx9 agp build so different agenda.

Reply 6 of 6, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 'Blue beast' does this job fairly well ..
comprises a Jetway 663AS pro mobo
Duron950 cpu
Radeon9800SE 128m agp graphics card
SB audio AWE (ISA) CT4380
1ghz ram castrated to 512mb in win98se
I decided not to try and dual boot ..preferring an IDE pull out caddy system to carry independent OS XP and 98 .
A 500watt psu
..and it's blue ..yes ...or at least the tower case is..
rgds
VS