VOGONS

First post, by omarsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!
Do IDE hard disks or IDE optical drives (CD or DVD) have BIOSes or firmwares? If so, how could I dump it? Can I use MS-DOS’ debug.com?

For instance in POST screen where the drive’s model come from? (eg. CD-W524E 1.0E) is because is stored in an internal BIOS or firmware?

bios-which-key.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They have firmware, and it can be updated via special programs. That firmware is not run by the CPU and it's not present in CPU addressable space (so you won't be able to dump it using debug).

In most cases, the firmware can't be dumped with the computer... it can be only read with flash or eprom programmers.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 6, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disk firmware releases are pretty rare in the consumer space.
Optical drives did get firmware updates, some of them quite some. Usually burners, to support new discs.

Reply 3 of 6, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the past there were many sites with firmware for CD-burners (sometimes modded). One of those that remained is www.cdrinfo.pl - polish site with 2813 firmwares. Here is search engine: https://www.cdrinfo.pl/biosy

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 4 of 6, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hard disk firmware is generally only released when a specific bugfix is needed - Seagate have a pretty good serial number check, and some Seagate drives (Barracuda 7200.11) have a particularly serious bug.

Firnmware for that slot loading Plextor is also very thin on the ground, and Plextor only seem to mention SSD these days

Reply 5 of 6, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As mentioned before, both have firmware but use special software to access these. While hard drive firmware usually is only distributed by big OEMs like IBM, HP or Dell, optical drive firmwares are often availiable at the manufacturers site. I had same nice experience with Plextor: They sent me an updated BIOS chip for my drive, but I had to remove the PCB and desolder some drive power lines to reach the socket to install it.
eisapc