VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How many hours a day are you at the PC? I spent around 12 hours per day.

Reply 3 of 19, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8 at work, minus maybe meetings and other stuff. Plus 1-2 in the evening on my retro stuff.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 19, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

.03hrs most days but every 6th Tuesday of the month I stay on a full 29hrs. If by PC you mean when I'm running the best OS for students and using my Wi-Fi password, then often in the morning when doing my assignment in Windows 95 and Word 97.

Reply 5 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

depends on whether I remember turning off my Wifi, so the terrible Wifi raditation doesn't kill me... but mostly, around 25 to 42 hours...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 19, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which PC?

Not counting work, I spend 30-60 minutes per weekday on my home PCs, and on weekends maybe 2-3 hrs per day. Weekend mornings are when I get most of my gaming in, as I'm an early riser while my family sleeps in.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 19, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

24/7 or damn near close.

I do not have a social life or the ability to have a functioning social life. So I stay alone in my room as much as possible.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 19, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe the answer was staring at our face all along, our primitive brain just couldn't realize it...read 42 in reverse. That is the number of hours in a day we should sit in front of a PC and of course the meaning of life, the universe & everything beyond 🤣 .

Personally speaking, with reference to (PC & Phone)*, maybe 4 to 6 hours...depending on the requirements and almost nil on mindless entertainment.

*differences between the two have come down in the past decade or so or maybe it has already come down to the minimum, well, apart from some conveniences...

Last edited by gandhig on 2018-11-07, 03:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 11 of 19, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Which PC?

Not counting work, I spend 30-60 minutes per weekday on my home PCs, and on weekends maybe 2-3 hrs per day. Weekend mornings are when I get most of my gaming in, as I'm an early riser while my family sleeps in.

Same profile for me too!

Reply 12 of 19, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AND what you will do with that time when it is more than 12 hours?
Perhaps it is just SITTING and it does not matter if behind a computer or not.
I assume we count these 20 year old machines only? 3 hours, sometimes 16 (music then). If with computers at all then just a 1 hour more.
After that need to rise up too and move. Trying to be LESS, becouse then it is more productive.

@DracoNihil

"Social life"?!
It seems that man has to pretend to be stupid in order to just have something in common with other people around.
oh yesssss EVERYONE likes to LEARN (self-study) or build things or tries to catch up with differential calculus again or is
actively caring about the surrounding and taking responsibility by taking part in riots against that politics, they love to read the books
about DSP programming or check the facts about the news always... so, engineer, or demoscene programmer on every village?!
Wait wait it is never so. The 99.9999% people are silly, dumb, bank loan slaves and writing hours in fuckbooks and TV consumers.
They have no critical taste, no manners. Their motto is "no brain, no pain 😁", and never "no pain no gain". They take opinion from a
newspaper but never have their own, ...and never ever read any serious book after high school.

SO it is very questionable if there is ever some point of getting social in THAT sort of surrounding.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 13 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does work count? I feel it shouldn't, but honestly the time I spend on a PC at work really does limit my willingness to get involved in computer crap at home, so maybe it should.. I don't know.. I spend around 8-10 hours on the PC at work on average, and 0-3 hours at home so that makes 8-13 hours..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 19, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Way WAY too much if I'm totally honest. Sadly there is bugger all to do around here so its this or go stir crazy. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the budget cuts decimating everything (that and Brexit, but years of budget cuts are probably more to blame).

I really do need another hobby of some kind. One that requires zero budget preferably.

Reply 15 of 19, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gca wrote:

Way WAY too much if I'm totally honest. Sadly there is bugger all to do around here so its this or go stir crazy. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the budget cuts decimating everything (that and Brexit, but years of budget cuts are probably more to blame).

I really do need another hobby of some kind. One that requires zero budget preferably.

Library - books. That one is free with information.
And what about running then? It does not need much to just put on clothes and to be outdoors.
It will help to make better printed circuit boards too.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 16 of 19, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jxalex wrote:

[Library - books. That one is free with information.

Actually I do visit the local lbrary fairly regularly. Quite good actually, they sell off old stock for next to nothing, which means I need a couple of new book shelves. Not much on the tech side of things but the rest is pretty decent.

Reply 17 of 19, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

8 at work, minus maybe meetings and other stuff. Plus 1-2 in the evening on my retro stuff.

That pretty much sums it up for me too!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 19 of 19, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PC use at work tends to vary a lot depending on meetings/scheduling. Probably ~4 hours on average.

And another 4 or more when at home.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards