VOGONS

Elpina motherboard - PC Chips?

Topic actions

First post, by Compo Simmonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In amongst the pile of pcs i bought last week is one with an at motherboard and a 200 mhz processor. Took it apart for cleaning and marked on the back of the board is Elpina BA E-VO 9812.

A google suggested elpina is a pc chips board, but that number doesnt come up with any search results. A search through elhvb.org found me a PC Chips M571 picture and manual, it looks like the board layout but it isnt listed in the "also manufactured as" - is it likely that a very similar board would be in existence or is it pretty likely that it is this one?

Ill post a pic when its cleaned.

Last edited by Compo Simmonite on 2018-11-12, 12:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 36, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That would explain why Elpina DDR2 ram is so terrible! Seriously. Every consumer grade DDR2 machine with bad ram I run into it is bad Elpina ram.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 36, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

That would explain why Elpina DDR2 ram is so terrible! Seriously. Every consumer grade DDR2 machine with bad ram I run into it is bad Elpina ram.

You must mean Elpida, a completely different entity. I've run into their DIMMs from time to time, but without issues.

But yes, Elpina is PC Chips in disguise.

Reply 4 of 36, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not that easy. 😀

Without having done any research other than a 1 minut Googling and looking at and testing probably 100+ motherboards using PC Chips designs this is how I think it is.

PC Chips is the in-house brand name PC Chips Group used for many of their motherboard designs, they also sold those designs to other companies. Hsing Tech Enterprise was their in-house manufacturing plant that also made boards for some of those who bought PC Chips designs.

Elpina was a contract board manufacturing company that among other components made motherboards for other companies. During the late 90s I guess Hsing Tech couldn't keep up on their own so PC Chips let Elpina make many of their boards and probably also boards for some of those who bought designs from PC Chips.

The PC Chips motherboards made by Elpina are of good quality but often use cheap capacitors. One example of such a board is the PC Chips M577 with VIA MVP3 chipset, a very solid motherboard (at least when made by Elpina).

Some of the PC Chips Slot-1 designs made by Elpina really suck but I doubt that has anything to do with Elpina or even very much with PC Chips... Some of those early cheap (non Intel) P6 chipsets were just god-awful regardless of who designed or made the motherboards.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 36, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

[...]

Some of the PC Chips Slot-1 designs made by Elpina really suck but I doubt that has anything to do with Elpina or even very much with PC Chips... Some of those early cheap (non Intel) P6 chipsets were just god-awful regardless of who designed or made the motherboards.

I beg to differ. The early ALi, SiS and Via P6 chipsets were generally pretty slow, particularly in terms of memory performance, compared to Intel's chipsets, but on a good motherboard design they were rock-solid and could offer features Intel didn't at the time (ATA-66, that sort of stuff). When decent motherboard vendors used them, the boards were fine. I remember the MSI MS-6163VA ((Via ApolloPro+) which compared favourably to the MS-6163 (i440BX) except in terms of raw performance.

These chipsets - and many of the more exotic late So7 ones - got a bad name specifically from the abysmal cheap, buggy, unreliable motherboards with badly tuned BIOS that they were sold on, and the PC-Chips complex was one of the prime guilty parties there. The only chipset that really was unforgivably bad was the Utron UT501x (and anyone trying to run the SiS 5591 at 100MHz FSB would also get upset- but only PC Chips sold it as 100MHz capable...)

Reply 7 of 36, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:
dionb wrote:

... The only chipset that really was unforgivably bad was the Utron UT501x ...

Hmmm, what motherboard(s) used this one? Google's failing me.

You have to dig deep (and sort through some naming confusion), it's called "VXPro-II" by PC Chips and used on the M558, M559 and M592.

Here's the data sheet:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030814023315/ht … c501&85c502.PDF

Admittedly, it could just be a driver issue: no PCI bridge drivers for WinNT/2k or Linux, and Win98 just using DOS compatibility. But you basically can't get any decent OS to run on this.

Of course PC Chips made it worse than it already was, they fitted the M559 with a 168p DIMM slot with 3.3V keying - but the chipset only supports 5V EDO DIMMs, so if you put a 3.3V DIMM in there, it gets fried...

Reply 9 of 36, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
You have to dig deep (and sort through some naming confusion), it's called "VXPro-II" by PC Chips and used on the M558, M559 and […]
Show full quote
SW-SSG wrote:
dionb wrote:

... The only chipset that really was unforgivably bad was the Utron UT501x ...

Hmmm, what motherboard(s) used this one? Google's failing me.

You have to dig deep (and sort through some naming confusion), it's called "VXPro-II" by PC Chips and used on the M558, M559 and M592.

Here's the data sheet:

Admittedly, it could just be a driver issue: no PCI bridge drivers for WinNT/2k or Linux, and Win98 just using DOS compatibility. But you basically can't get any decent OS to run on this.

Of course PC Chips made it worse than it already was, they fitted the M559 with a 168p DIMM slot with 3.3V keying - but the chipset only supports 5V EDO DIMMs, so if you put a 3.3V DIMM in there, it gets fried...

Here's a link with a table which outlines the various chipset "aliases" used by different manufacturers: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/chipset-alias … -vx-pro-and-co/ (the list is not complete).

Speaking from personal experience, my first Socket 7 motherboard was based around the "VX Pro II" (the Utron UT801x) chipset. I initially paired that with a Pentium 166 MMX and, after upgrading the CPU to a 233 MMX, was a bit disappointed to see that my brother's 200 MMX was still faster than mine (his motherboard was based around the "VX Pro +" (VIA Apollo VPX (VT82C580VPX)) chipset.
There I totally agree that the Utron UT801x is not a very good chipset.

Reply 10 of 36, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Compo Simmonite wrote:

Thanks for info. Would this be considered a better board for a P166 build than an Asus VX97 (currently untested) that I also have?

Pics..

Yep, that's an M571 alright. Its SiS5598 chipset determines what you can expect. If you use the integrated VGA, it will crawl, but with discrete PCI performance is similar to the SiS5582, which is pretty decent and in itself better than Intel's i430VX could manage. Big but though: Asus was the Rolls Royce of consumer board manufacturers in those days, PC Chips the Yugo.

I think it depends on exactly what you want to run on it. The SiS5598 can run at 83MHz FSB, supports normal SDRAM and can cache 128MB, the i430VX only manages 75MHz (unofficially), only handles very early SDRAM DIMMs and can't cache more than 64MB. If you intend to stay within the i430VX's comfort zone, go with the Asus. If not, try the M571.

Reply 11 of 36, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
Here's a link with a table which outlines the various chipset "aliases" used by different manufacturers: https://www.hardwarese […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote:
You have to dig deep (and sort through some naming confusion), it's called "VXPro-II" by PC Chips and used on the M558, M559 and […]
Show full quote

Here's the data sheet:

Here's a link with a table which outlines the various chipset "aliases" used by different manufacturers: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/chipset-alias … -vx-pro-and-co/ (the list is not complete).

Speaking from personal experience, my first Socket 7 motherboard was based around the "VX Pro II" (the Utron UT801x) chipset. I initially paired that with a Pentium 166 MMX and, after upgrading the CPU to a 233 MMX, was a bit disappointed to see that my brother's 200 MMX was still faster than mine (his motherboard was based around the "VX Pro +" (VIA Apollo VPX (VT82C580VPX)) chipset.
There I totally agree that the Utron UT801x is not a very good chipset.

Yeah, I had no idea that this existed... thanks for the info.

M592, right, that was that strange all-in-one Baby AT MB someone found a few months ago... what a curious product indeed.

Reply 12 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also a table out there (which I can't find right now, of course) which lays out all the various names under which PC Chips / Hsing Tech products were rebranded.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 36, by moumiaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello , sorry for bringing this back from the dead .

I recently discovered that i have two motherboards with the onboard sound chip SoundPro 1896V+ . I do not have the - Sound & game connector - and i do not know how it looks like and if i can find it . Does anyone have a clue ?

The motherboards i have are - PC CHIPS M559 and J-Mark J-TX98 .

The website with chipset aliases is :

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/chipset-alias … -vx-pro-and-co/

Reply 14 of 36, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moumiaq wrote on 2020-09-16, 11:40:
Hello , sorry for bringing this back from the dead . […]
Show full quote

Hello , sorry for bringing this back from the dead .

I recently discovered that i have two motherboards with the onboard sound chip SoundPro 1896V+ . I do not have the - Sound & game connector - and i do not know how it looks like and if i can find it . Does anyone have a clue ?

The motherboards i have are - PC CHIPS M559 and J-Mark J-TX98 .

The website with chipset aliases is :

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/chipset-alias … -vx-pro-and-co/

Ugh, Utron chipset spotted on that M559. J-TX98 has SiS 5598 and same applies to it as to the M571 discussed above, even if it's a subtly different board.

As for the connector, I might have one in a box somewhere, in which case I can look at pinout. Otherwise it should be doable to reverse-engineer it, at least for the line-out line. Just set up something to make sound, preferably with distinct left and right stereo, find ground (measure for continuity with a known ground pin somewhere, eg on the power connector), then touch the other pins one by one till you find the sound output. Once you know what GND, out left and out right are, hook them up to a 3.5mm jack and you're done 😀

Reply 16 of 36, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moumiaq wrote on 2020-09-16, 17:25:
I found the manual […]
Show full quote

I found the manual

23532465456456.jpg

but i still have no idea how it is . The audio part of the cable has jack inputs ?

And here is the real thing found the photo on the internet

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg

Yes, 3x 3.5mm jack (line out, line in, mic). The relevant ones are pins 8, 9 and 10. 8 is GND, 9 is Line Out Left, 10 is Line Out Right. Hook those up to a 3.5mm stereo jack socket and you're good to go.

Reply 17 of 36, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I repaired burned VRM on an old PCshi.. M592. It seems to work OK but I'm unable to run it with ext.VGA. There's no any jumper neither a SETUP option to disable onboard SiS VGA. Is it possible? The only idea I have is to mod BIOS and remove the VGA module then ext. vbios may get a chance....

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 18 of 36, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RayeR wrote on 2023-11-01, 13:36:

Hi, I repaired burned VRM on an old PCshi.. M592. It seems to work OK but I'm unable to run it with ext.VGA. There's no any jumper neither a SETUP option to disable onboard SiS VGA. Is it possible? The only idea I have is to mod BIOS and remove the VGA module then ext. vbios may get a chance....

On my Elpina BA E-VO 9825 (PCChips M571, Amptron PM-9100A) ver. 3.2A when the integrated VGA is enabled by jumper and there is PCI-slot VGA card inserted into one of the PCI slots, the integrated video is auto-disabled in BIOS settings and not initialized. Just try some PCI videocard and see if it will auto-disable mobo's integrated video.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 19 of 36, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I already tried both PCI and ISA VGA carda but none works, video still goes from onboard VGA. According to M592 manual there's no such jumper and I cannot find any jumper that is not described in manual that would do it.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA