VOGONS

First post, by NeffePS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 graphics card with AGP 8x, 128 MB of memory, and I feel like my score in 3DMark 2001 SE is a little bit low. I've seen reviews from back in the day with people getting around 12500 points, and my barely gets 10000 with 53.06 Forceware. Clocks are all correct, the cooling is fine, capacitors are brand new, all parameters seem to match. What could explain that perofrmance drop?

Reply 2 of 15, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

True, CPU is a thing when it comes to benchmarks. Main problem back in the days was, that both nv and ATI tuned their drivers to perform best in synthetic benchmarks aka 3D-Mark xxxxx . Maybe you'll reach a higher score with a lower driver version. 55.xx seems very high for a GF4, propably nv removed the "cheats" in the code...

You should also check your chipset drivers, OS, clean system, timings of your RAM and yes, most important the speed of your CPU if you want compare your system against others.

Reply 3 of 15, by NeffePS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested it on different installs of Windows XP and got similar results so that's not the culprit. My CPU is an Athlon XP 2600+ at 2.1 GHz. Gonna check older drivers, might be the problem because I remember that with 93.71 I barely got 9000. I'll post an update once I check other driver versions.

Reply 4 of 15, by NeffePS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I got better results with older drivers. Detonator 45.23 gave me around 10800, and 43.45 hit about 11000. Might drop even lower, like 28.32 should probably do 12000, unless I hit a CPU bottleneck.

Reply 6 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should definitely downgrade your Forceware drivers, drivers coded for GeForce FX/6000 series and onwards hurt DirectX 7 performance and that is a big part of 3DMark2001SE.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 15, by watson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For reference, I wanted to know just how far this card can scale in 2001 SE with enough CPU power.

2001SE_5673.PNG
Filename
2001SE_5673.PNG
File size
715.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is with 56.73 drivers which come "stock" with Windows XP SP3. No overclocking was done.
I prefer not to use older drivers that cheat to make results comparable with other (usually newer) cards from both Nvidia and ATI.

Reply 8 of 15, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
watson wrote:

I prefer not to use older drivers that cheat to make results comparable with other (usually newer) cards from both Nvidia and ATI.

I read somewhere recently after researching this myself that the vogons-lauded 43.45s are safe to use.

Reply 9 of 15, by NeffePS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't exactly remember where I found these reviews. Anyway, I'm currently gonna stick with 43.45 which should be good enough. I also noticed that my scores do improve with CPU overclocking, although I can't go too far, 2,15 GHz is as far as it went giving me a marginally better score.

Reply 10 of 15, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a small Database with User-Scores from back in the day and even up to GeForce GTX 580 SLI Systems.
https://www.pc-erfahrung.de/tuningperformance … rk-2001-se.html
12xxx to 13xxx are totally possible. I might test my retro-rig later on too.

Reply 12 of 15, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are my Scores:

Config: Abit KT7A @ 150-MHz FSB/RAM, CL2 everything on Turbo, Athlon XP-M @ 1800-MHz, 1,28VCore, GeForce 4 Ti AGP x8 @ default (GPU 250-MHz/ MEM 513-MHz) and of course 43.45 Drivers.

Intellisample @ HQ
hq_ergebnisfdfx9.jpg
Intellisample @ HP
hp_ergebnisdufqk.jpg

Tested some Drivers with a higher and lower version but 43.45 seems really the best.

Pretty low score - the Athlon is starving on low memory bandwith. If only my SB-Live would work under plain dos, but it's a known limitation with newer boards. SB-Live and DOS are no problem with an Abit KT7A. Correct drivers are needed.

Something strange happened
wtfhp_ergebnisebi3j.jpg
Didn't alter a single "bit" but my score raised wtf

even higher but this time with a light overclock

ishpoc_ergebnis2sfp5.jpg

performance gain over time hehehe 😎

Last edited by The Sandman on 2020-12-19, 22:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 15, by NeffePS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A little update, after getting quality DDR400 ram, set it to 2.5-3-3-7 and running my cpu at 400 MHz FSB x11 multiplier (xp 3200+ speed) i managed to get 11764 with 43.45, so everything is about correct

Reply 14 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NeffePS wrote:

Anyway, I'm currently gonna stick with 43.45 which should be good enough.

If you're only going for the highest 3DMark score, then yes. For games, the newer drivers might perform better.
Case of benchmarketing.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 15 of 15, by NeffePS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I actually noticed a little bit of performance improvement in games too, not that it really matters because the performance is still great even with 93.71. Nevermind, thanks guys for all the advice