VOGONS

IDE to SD Adapter with Bracket

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably actually better for performance in most cases.
What degrades performance is using 2 devices on the same channel at the same time.
So with this setup you'll get a small hit when installing things to c:\
but playing games (Which I'm amusing you'll be doing majority of the time) d:\ and the cd drive wont be fighting for time on the secondary channel

Reply 21 of 26, by maverick21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using both kind of Adapters, IDE->CF with a braket and IDE->SD like it is linked on the first page of this thread (or as you can see on my picture below). But as you already stated, the prices for CF cards are rising, while the prices for SD cards are quiet low these days. So I bought more of the IDE-SD adapters for my retro-rigs. But as they were only loose PCBs I already had a short-circuit because I wasn't sure where to put this thing... and while moving the runing PC around it fell on the floor of the computercase... stopped working obviously 😉
So I made a small housing with my 3D printer, so that I could lay it anywhere into the case without the danger of another short circuit. But now I still have to have the case open or have to open it for switching the SD cards. So I've designed a 3.5" housing for this thing. I'll have to print a first example this night and test if all measurements are good, but if it is, I'll upload it to thingiverse so that you can print it out for yourself if you want to use this kind of IDE->SD adapters in your rig.

sdkartenlaufwerk.JPG
Filename
sdkartenlaufwerk.JPG
File size
112.99 KiB
Views
File comment
Design of the 3.5" housing
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
photo_2018-11-20_17-34-20.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-11-20_17-34-20.jpg
File size
93.87 KiB
Views
File comment
Simple housing for laying in the case
File license

retro-rig1.jpg retro-rig2.jpg retro-rig3.jpg

Reply 22 of 26, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks nice!

For one of my systems I did it in a different way. I have the SD to IDE adapter variant with a female IDE connector, this plugs into the motherboard directly. Then I go to the front of the PC with an SD card extension cable as pictured.
Most of these SD cables are of lesser quality though, but at the time there was one seller that offered a better, more flexible cable.

Attachments

• SD-Extension-Cable.jpg
    Filename
    SD-Extension-Cable.jpg
    File size
    3.46 KiB
    Views
    File license

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 26, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maverick21 wrote:

I'm using both kind of Adapters, IDE->CF with a braket and IDE->SD like it is linked on the first page of this thread (or as you can see on my picture below). But as you already stated, the prices for CF cards are rising, while the prices for SD cards are quiet low these days. So I bought more of the IDE-SD adapters for my retro-rigs. But as they were only loose PCBs I already had a short-circuit because I wasn't sure where to put this thing... and while moving the runing PC around it fell on the floor of the computercase... stopped working obviously 😉
So I made a small housing with my 3D printer, so that I could lay it anywhere into the case without the danger of another short circuit. But now I still have to have the case open or have to open it for switching the SD cards. So I've designed a 3.5" housing for this thing. I'll have to print a first example this night and test if all measurements are good, but if it is, I'll upload it to thingiverse so that you can print it out for yourself if you want to use this kind of IDE->SD adapters in your rig.

You. Sir. Might be the savior we need. I have been looking for a solution like this for so long, but I do not have the modelling experience. I will gladly tip you on Thingiverse for this. Young Skywalker, we will watch your career with great interest.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 24 of 26, by maverick21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
twilliamc wrote:

You. Sir. Might be the savior we need. I have been looking for a solution like this for so long, but I do not have the modelling experience. I will gladly tip you on Thingiverse for this. Young Skywalker, we will watch your career with great interest.

I'm honored, but my designing skills are only rudimentary. I hope I can help some of you. First prototype was printed last night. I think I had some missreadings in the measuring. The pcb fits, the thickness of the front-plate is good for the push/pull mechanism of the sd card, but the thing is about 1cm to wide... so it's another night of printing for another run.

photo_2018-11-21_19-54-59.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-11-21_19-54-59.jpg
File size
93.32 KiB
Views
File comment
Too wide for the drive slot...
File license
photo_2018-11-21_19-54-58.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-11-21_19-54-58.jpg
File size
89.25 KiB
Views
File comment
First Prototype - failed
File license

Reply 25 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tegrady wrote:

I think I read somewhere that these CF to IDE adapters can only be used if they are the only device on the cable.

This is not true. It's probably depends on what kind of an adapter one uses in his/her systems, but my own backplate and Startech 3.5" bay type CF-IDE adapters works happily with other devices (as masters with slave CD-ROMs mostly) in the same channel.

I never tried two CF adapters in the same channel, though.

Last edited by tayyare on 2018-11-23, 08:43. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 26 of 26, by maverick21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First thing is ready and build in. There might be some problems in very small computer cases. For those cases I might add another version where the pcb is mounted a few millimeters lower to provide more space for cables.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3232293

Try to print it, I would appreciate any kind of message if it works or if anything could be improved.

kartenleser.JPG
Filename
kartenleser.JPG
File size
147.8 KiB
Views
File license
photo_2018-11-22_14-48-58.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-11-22_14-48-58.jpg
File size
111.38 KiB
Views
File license
photo_2018-11-22_14-49-01.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-11-22_14-49-01.jpg
File size
235.84 KiB
Views
File license

I've had another device on the same cable as my ide2cf card reader. It worked with my modell, but my ide2sd card reader seems to like beeing alone 😉

cu
Thomas