VOGONS

Common searches

duke nukem 3d

Topic actions

First post, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm playing the sortmod of duke nukem 3d (under windowsXP) by jonof and it really works fine. the only thing is that the music sounds a little bit different.
it sounds smooth but it's like it's played with different instruments than the original music. is it just my soundcard or did jonof use other midi's than the original?

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried that port yet, but my guess is that back in the day you had only a Soundblaster or Adlib card and now you have Windows with its better software wavetable MIDI synthesizers. If this is the case then there's no way to hear the music the way it used to sound, unless someone adds an Adlib/OPL emulator to the source port.

Someday DOSBox will support Duke3D and you'll be able to hear it in DOSBox's Adlib emulator.

Reply 3 of 5, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just finished episode 1 of duke3d and i found a little problem.
sometimes the fire sprites are frozen (not animated) and they are often placed too high. you can see it very good in the level "the abyss" (ep1, last level).

can someone fix this, or is it just my pc? (i think it has nothing to do with my videocard or the resolutions i play in)

i think i will mail jonof about this so he can fix it in later versions of the source port (if he knows the answer and got the time for it),

ps: thumbs up for jonof's duke3d source port

Reply 4 of 5, by NoVaTuRiEnT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finished Episode 1,2,3 in Skill4 (Damn, i'm good)
Havent even finished Level 1 in Episode 4 yet.
When i played it, i didn't have that problem although i don't use JonOf's JFDuke3D. I used Duke3d_w32 from rancidmeat (http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1) - I thought it's a pretty good port.

So, if u want u could try that port.

I want the music to sound the same as what it used 2 sound like :p
Ahhhh, the old classics of DOS! - can't resist....