VOGONS

First post, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Let me just baffle you guys with my ever upgrade project.

Case= Evergreen Bigtower AT (Upgraded it myself to ATX6 years old). Aopen 300 watts powersupply

Speakers= Pioneer Powerbass speaker, stolen from a miniset, hooked up to my pioneer VSX-804 4x70W cmos receiver/amp (handmedown), use connected through digital in on my minidisk deck.

Monitor= Sony CPD-E500 21'
Mouse= ms. intellimouse explorer 1.0a (prolly beta)
Joystick= ms. Sidewinder forcefeedback pro (old one)
Gamepad= ms. Sidewinder gamepad pro
Keyboard= ms. Natural keyboard Pro
Motherboard= Aopen AX 34 pro (Intel 815)
Processor= Intel PIV 1.7
Cooling= The one supplied with my processor (Intel)
Memory= 512 Texas Instruments, cas2, 133 (B grade, quite old)
Video= Gforce 3 Ti500

Primary-master ATA 100: WDC400AB 40Gig (5400)
Primary-slave ATA 100: WDC600AB 60Gig (5400)
Secondary-slave: Hitachi GD-2500 DVD drive

SCSI= Adaptec 2940AU PCI (Yes, there is an ISA version also)
ID0= Plextor PX-40TS cdrom (40x)
ID1= Plextor PX-W8220 CDrw (20x8x2)

Floppy= A mitsumi, still left from a 468-33DX

PCI SLOTS
AGP / Gf3
PCI1/ EMPTY
PCI2/ SBlive! (CT4620) the 1st one
PCI3/ AVM ISDN-controller B1
PCI4/ 3com Etherlink 3C905C-TX
PCI5/ EMPTY SBlive digital out thingy

USB DEVICES
mouse + keyboard + gamepad

Extra's
COM1: Smart Card Programmer: Real handy creating you're own coffee cards for school.
COM2: Realmagic IR thingy for remote control. Came with my dvd kit, sold the kit kept the remote for Winamp.

MIDIout: An MT-32, a real gem if u like old games. Requires VDMsound though, SBlive has no dos support, windows XP has timing issues. I wish I could keep my old Mobo.

Printer and stuff is on my dads PC, Dad's pc's are great for backups.

Running: WINXP-pro. Got some real old stuff here, but there's no need for replacement yet, I think it's better then average.. it's no l33t box, though I can overclock this babe to 2230MHz. It will get a bit hot then. I rather stick to 1.7 and let the thermo control fan slow down a bit.. It's real quiet.

My next buy would be a PIV 2.4 (northwood), if the price is right that is.

(Everyone should mention their next buy/upgrade in their specs post!)

Reply 1 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

YOU HAVE AN MT-32!?!?!?? GIMME!!!! 😉

"Premium" Creative cards (Audigy eX) come with MPU-401 in/out. I've got my synth hooked up to mine right now. Probably a better idea to, like, NOT buy one, though. 😜

Oh, and, NATURAL keyboard? Eeew.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 13, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What I currently have:

Case: AOpen HQ-08 Full Tower
Keyboard: Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro
Monitor: CTX 17" Trinitron
CD-RW: Lite-On 48x12x48
DVD-ROM: Pioneer DVD-117 Tray Load
MPEG-2 Decoder: Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus

What remains to be purchased:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (I refuse to touch the Pentium 4 with a 10 foot pole. Not only are they absolute garbage, Intel charge too much for them too).
Motherboard: EpoX 8K5A2+
RAM: 512Mb PC2700 DDR
Hard Drive: 120Gb Western Digital Caviar "Special Edition" 8Mb cache
Video Card: Leadtek GF4 Ti4600 128Mb w/ ViVo

Stuff being passed up from previous machine:

Floppy: Mitsubishi LS-120
Speakers: Generic set I bought some 5-6 years ago to complement my then-new AWE64 sound card.
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value

It's currently stalled seeing as my drivers licence and car registration are both coming up so I have to find the money for those but since I'm waiting for price drops to occur for most of the components I have yet to get it isn't such a bad thing.

Snover wrote:

"Premium" Creative cards (Audigy eX) come with MPU-401 in/out. I've got my synth hooked up to mine right now. Probably a better idea to, like, NOT buy one, though. 😜

Just about every sound card has a MIDI port on it it's just that Creative actually put proper 5-pin DIN plugs on their premium cards. On the rest its buried in the game port and requires a special cable/breakout box to access. The manufacturers sell them with a huge markup (considering it's only a few optocouplers it really is ridiculous) but if you're handy with a soldering iron then its easy enough to build your own.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 3 of 13, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the MT32 is nice.. certainly not for sale.. yet 😀 The sblive! has MIDIin and MIDIout through minidin (!?). Works ok though, but no dos support (BUGGER!). That's no different on an audigy.

I've sold my DVD hollywoord plus.. though i regret that a little, it has superior quality over my TV-out on the Geforce. And u can watch avi files through some sort of hack!

What's wrong with PIV's? I'd rather not touch an AMD.. considering they're so hot. My previous machine was an AMD 1gig, never got as stable as my PIV now is. Mainly because AMD had no decent motherboards (at that time).

And I hate their kind of marketing (An amd 1700 is faster then a pIV 1.7 but it runs at 1.4 GHz. That kinda confuses me)

Last edited by Kyl3 on 2002-11-16, 22:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mini-DIN is just taking the MIDI pins and compressing them into a smaller space. As you'll notice, there are only 5 pins on a MIDI connector and there is a lot of space between those.

You can get output on your MPU-401. You need to set "MIDI Port" as your preferred MIDI device. That, however, only works in a DOS box. In any case, you'd be better off getting an NT system and using VDMSound's MPU-401 routing.

I had a Hollywood Plus in my old Alienware (which, by the way, ran a 700MHz Athlon and was rock solid). Interactive DVD Video program made it no longer work until I reinstalled Windows. That was on Windows 98SE. It was on an MSI mainboard, just like the system I have now. I swear by these boards.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 13, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ofcourse I know that mini-din is the same as the MIDI-din, what confuses me is that creative thinks that mini-din is an creative invention.. Creative keeps dazzling me..

I really wish there was a way to use the midi port as an genuine (did I spell that correct?) mp401 port under dos. I have an roland MPU-401 8 bit isa card, it came with the MT-32 which was distributed by sierra.

Since I now have a really spiffy pIV (ack?) I don't have 8bit ports anymore and VDMsound isn't everything.

Wait i'll record an example.

Reply 7 of 13, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kyl3 wrote:

I've sold my DVD hollywoord plus.. though i regret that a little, it has superior quality over my TV-out on the Geforce. And u can watch avi files through some sort of hack!

heh, I only bought mine because I wanted decent TV-out. Watching movies on a computer monitor sucks donkey balls.

And I hate their kind of marketing (An amd 1700 is faster then a pIV 1.7 but it runs at 1.4 GHz. That kinda confuses me)

Thats not AMDs fault, it's Intels. Intel has everybody believing that clock speed is everything and as such AMD need a way to compete and PR rating their chips is the only way they can do that. The Atlhlon does more in each clock cycle than the P4 and as such, needs less clock cycles to get the same task done as a P4. This is why a slower Athlon can knock spots of P4s that are heaps faster in terms of clock speed.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 8 of 13, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're actually quite wrong there 😀, the amd does less.. but way faster, which gives it a huge speed advantage and less compatibility issues.

The same difference between the XT cisc and the newer risc based processors after that...

(edit)

Actually, to confirm my story.. because the pIV can do more in one clockpulse, the output of the calculation turns out to longer... This way when the PIV has to perform a very simple operation like add +1 to register AX, it still has to use the full calculation for this.

With an reduced instruction set, (RISC) a long calculation is segmented over multiple clockpulses.

Thus giving the advantage to speed up simple calculations.. what actually most software do use... sounds ironicly but progress means reduction 😀

again, sorry for my bad english.. i'm quite foreign

Last edited by Kyl3 on 2002-11-20, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, but not much. This graph sums up the processor performance (or lack threof 😁 ) of the P4 http://www.haveland.com/index.htm?povbench/graph.php

Granted, this is only one benchmark and you can not effectively show the performance of a processor with one benchmark but this is just about as it is from all of the testing that I have done.

The memory performance of a P4 2.4ghz will be FAR greater than that of an Athlon 1800 but almost all home tasks aren't bandwidth intensive and devoting your money into the P4 for that purpose is just a waste.

My wonderful NForce 2 with Dual-DDR solves the bandwidth problem nicely. (for a while) 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 13, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The memory performance of a P4 2.4ghz will be FAR greater than that of an Athlon 1800 but almost all home tasks aren't bandwidth intensive and devoting your money into the P4 for that purpose is just a waste.

Wouldn't the only bandwidth only be avialable on P4 systems that used RD-RAM, as opposed to DDR-RAM, which seems to be and increaingly popular thing with P4's?

Reply 13 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone's been futzing with those statistics:

3 00:41:37 AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1667 44.62x
4 00:41:43 AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1667 44.52x
34 01:26:27 AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1667 21.48x

*cough*

Anyway, that site sucks. It made me load fucking Java just to see their stupid logo rotate around. ARRGH!

Yes, it’s my fault.