Man, it's been a while since I've been on VOGONS. 🤣
Well, I grabbed the firmware zip file filename and did a search just for that and found some obscure Taiwanese university's FTP site which ended up being a goldmine for me as it had most of the files from the long dead DPT website for my controllers plus the latest firmware and BIOS files! Excellent! Unfortunately the controller is old enough where you have to program the chips with an EEPROM programmer which I have never done. I am hoping to learn how to do that shortly, but at least I have found the files. It's an interesting browse of vintage drivers and articles TBH on their FTP site and some of you may find something you are looking for as well. I found this early DPT article on I/O bandwidth amusing.
If you are looking for an EPROM programmer, I would suggest the TL866 Plus from here, which PCL has used to some success himself. It comes with all of the accessories you could ever really need for removable EPROM chips that I could foreseeably see, and the software is easy enough to use.
Any who, so far today, I have done a bunch of soldering work. I finally got this miracle-worker in the mail today for the low-low price of $260 😜 :
I love this Hakko gun. It has saved me soooo much time, pain, and misery versus trying to desolder by hand. It was worth every single penny I put towards it. 🤣
Equipped with my new desoldering gun, I went about replacing capacitors on my Samsung SyncMaster 710N's power PCB that I mentioned here on this thread a few weeks ago. Samsung didn't make it super-easy, though, to remove the massive capacitor on the PCB - they glued that sucker down, and it took a lot of prying to pull that old capacitor away from the PCB.
As a recap (pun maybe intended 😀 ), all of the caps circled in red are the brand-new caps that I soldered on, and the two missing caps denoted by the blue rectangle I'm still waiting on - they are back ordered until late January (which is better than the original estimate, which was March - yikes!).
I also finally finished replacing all of the electrolytic caps on my PNY Nvidia GeForce FX 6800GS that I have in my possession, which was giving me problems when I tested it out over a month ago. The only electrolytic cap that I couldn't find an equivalent polymer cap for was the top-right-most electrolytic cap near the PCIe power connector - I had to replace that with a new electrolytic cap instead, just like some of the caps on that Samsung monitor's power PCB shown above.
I have yet to test it thorough under Windows, but the card did survive 15 minutes in BIOS without any issues, so at least what I did to the card didn't make it worse AFAIK. I am not sure when I'll thoroughly test the card, but I know it's not going to be for maybe a month.