VOGONS

Common searches

Graphics performance boost

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 180 of 227, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Smart texture filtering as linked in that post is essentially OpenGL-HQ (see patches forum). Of course, OpenGL-HQ doesn't do any 3D stuff, but as far as DOSBox is concerned, it's equivalent.

Yeah, hardware accelerated HQ filters are *pretty*.. if only my card could run them. 😢 Maybe my next machine~

Reply 182 of 227, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
neowolf wrote:

Yeah, hardware accelerated HQ filters are *pretty*.. if only my card could run them. 😢 Maybe my next machine~

Actually, I don't think so. I've seen real HQ texture filtering in Doomsday engine, and I don't like it. It's perfect for games from the DOS era, which had the look of drawings, not photorealistic images. For these, there are really nice convolution filters, though those tend to be even heavier on performance than OHQ 😀

Reply 183 of 227, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A small bug with scaler=none (or an invalid scaler entry) and tvmode=true :

The scanline effect is still applied, but, of course, it darkens one full line out of two...

The performance boost is great btw 😀. I can play a lot more games on my Duron 700, even with scalers..

Reply 184 of 227, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Actually, I don't think so. I've seen real HQ texture filtering in Doomsday engine, and I don't like it. It's perfect for games from the DOS era, which had the look of drawings, not photorealistic images. For these, there are really nice convolution filters, though those tend to be even heavier on performance than OHQ 😀

Yeah, but I mostly play cartoony games myself so it's perfect.

Reply 185 of 227, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Being 1 person who uses the Doomsday engine weekly, I`ve got to point out that the graphics in that are absolutely fucking beautiful (mind my french) without any effect on overall game speed. Heres a few screenshots from the Doom64 Total conversion done in the Doomsday engine which best show off how nice the graphics look:

abstn-07.jpgabstn-19.jpgabstn-21.jpgabstn-29.jpg

abstn-25.jpgabstn-30.jpgabstn-37.jpgabstn-14.jpg

Now does that look cartoonish to you?

For larger versions of the screenies, click here:
http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-screen.html

Last edited by icemann on 2005-12-08, 03:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 188 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oduverne wrote:

Your build doesn't work well at all with Micro Machines 2 Tournament.
It's very slow and parts of the screen are missing

@oduverne: I tried Micro Machines 2 Tournament, and I have to tell it works a lot faster with my build than with the official DOSBox 0.63 (being playable with both at 15000 cycles), as for the "parts of the screen missing" I couldn't see what parts were missing, the only issue I noticed is a small flickering of the characters in the menues, but that issue is there in the official build as well and has nothing to do with my patch or my build.

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 189 of 227, by oduverne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kronuz wrote:
oduverne wrote:

Your build doesn't work well at all with Micro Machines 2 Tournament.
It's very slow and parts of the screen are missing

@oduverne: I tried Micro Machines 2 Tournament, and I have to tell it works a lot faster with my build than with the official DOSBox 0.63 (being playable with both at 15000 cycles), as for the "parts of the screen missing" I couldn't see what parts were missing, the only issue I noticed is a small flickering of the characters in the menues, but that issue is there in the official build as well and has nothing to do with my patch or my build.

I know now what the problem is, if you put
[render]
aspect=true

It doesn't work well.
I set it to false and it worked great.

Perhaps it's a bug, I hope that it will help you.

Reply 191 of 227, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I cannot use Kronuz's patch 🙁

I've tested the opengl output mode with AEP 2005-12-11 version and it works very well.

But in the AEP 2005-12-12 version it doesn't work. I just get a black screen.

Gulikoza's build suffers from the same problem.

Could you please look into it?

I have a GeForce 6600 GT AGP card with v81.95 drivers.

Thanks.

Reply 192 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Leolo wrote:

I've tested the opengl output mode with AEP 2005-12-11 version and it works very well.
But in the AEP 2005-12-12 version it doesn't work. I just get a black screen.

Leolo, my last build is that of 2005-12-05, what do you mean? what 2005-12-11?? and what 2005-12-12? 😜

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 193 of 227, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

I went to this page,
http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm
downloaded the file dated 2005-12-11 and tested opengl and openglnb outputs. They all work fine.

But then I downloaded the file dated 2005-12-12 and noticed that the opengl and openglnb outputs do not work. They produce a black screen.

I also tested this build:
http://home.amis.net/lkslavi/dosbox/dosboxcvs-051202.zip
And noticed the same problem: opengl and openglnb outputs produce a black screen.

Could it be a problem in the scaler performance patch?

Regards.

Reply 196 of 227, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's partial texture updates and pixel_datarange extension. Ogl works fine here with ati. I'll try to catch Kronuz on irc to see what we can do about it...I think he has a nvidia card, I wonder why he hasn't noticed the problem if this really is the problem.

Reply 197 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

I think it's partial texture updates and pixel_datarange extension. Ogl works fine here with ati. I'll try to catch Kronuz on irc to see what we can do about it...I think he has a nvidia card, I wonder why he hasn't noticed the problem if this really is the problem.

It's weird, it seems to work fine here too (nVIDIA GeForce FX5200) ...although for some strange reason it freezes some times (but that happens always, when I'm using OpenGL in any program).
Edit: I tried it on other computer with nVIDIA Geforece MX440, and there seems to be some issues with the partial update; also, I found it froze there too... hmm

Edit: I've created a new patch after detecting a bug in the OpenGL update code. Hopefully this solves the issue.

@Leolo: Okay, here's the binary attached, please try it and tell me if the problem persists. (This build doesn't include the timesync patch as my previous builds, as I've found it doesn't work always... and since it's not part of my patch, I've stripped it out)

Qbix: Attachment removed

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 198 of 227, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kronuz wrote:

@Leolo: Okay, here's the binary attached, please try it and tell me if the problem persists. (This build doesn't include the timesync patch as my previous builds, as I've found it doesn't work always... and since it's not part of my patch, I've stripped it out)

I've tested it with a few games and it works very well. Thank you very much!

Although I've just noticed something curious with my settings:
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=640x400
pixelshader=none
aspect=false
scaler=none

When I use opengl or openglnb I can get to full screen easily by pressing ALT+ENTER, and the image fills the entire screen of my monitor.

But when I use openglhq, pressing ALT+ENTER gives me a small image centered in the screen and surrounded by very big black borders.

Is this the expected behaviour?

Regards.