VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if this has already been discussed here but it's quite well known problem with recent win10 builds, when running many old games in Windows 10, the right part of the screen is missing and black, like a problem with resizing or something similar. I wonder if ms/intel or somebody else ever cared about fixing that (except Dege).

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the point of the discussion you're trying to start here?

If you want help with something be more concrete.

If you want us to influence Microsoft's development of DirectX/GDI backwards compatibility then that's not how a company of Microsoft's size works.

If you just want a meaningless theoretical discussion... why?

Reply 2 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🙄

Am I the only one experiencing that here?
Has anyone found a fix / workaround for that, other than using wrappers?

What exactly went wrong? What's causing the problem? Flaky dx8 (and probably older) support maybe?
Directx 9 games seem not to be affected.

I personally find nothing wrong about theory for the sake of discussion, or maybe I should have put this in the "Milliways" subforum?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 3 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:
:roll: […]
Show full quote

🙄

Am I the only one experiencing that here?
Has anyone found a fix / workaround for that, other than using wrappers?

What exactly went wrong? What's causing the problem? Flaky dx8 (and probably older) support maybe?
Directx 9 games seem not to be affected.

I personally find nothing wrong about theory for the sake of discussion, or maybe I should have put this in the "Milliways" subforum?

The first half of this post sounds like you're asking for help, the other half sounds like you want a purely theoretical discussion. In either case listing concrete cases is the most effective way to get anything done.

Reply 4 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Harry potter 1 and 2, quake, return to krondor, star trek bridge commander and many others. The games work but 1/3 of the screen becomes black. I have a lenovo miix 320. This is so weird, that's why I'd like to know a bit of theory about why this is happening (human curiosity), as well as willing to fix the problem.

Reply 5 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

Harry potter 1 and 2, quake, return to krondor, star trek bridge commander and many others. The games work but 1/3 of the screen becomes black. I have a lenovo miix 320. This is so weird, that's why I'd like to know a bit of theory about why this is happening (human curiosity), as well as willing to fix the problem.

Sounds like a portrait tablet screen. Those don't like Windows 10's maximized window mode. Reading material here:
Fullscreen mode in Direct3D8 games on Windows 10

Reply 6 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks dude, that was quite enlightening. Unluckily that modified dll didn't do the trick however my specific case has been introduced by another guy in the second page. I too have latest w10 build and Intel graphic card.

Reply 7 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

thanks dude, that was quite enlightening. Unluckily that modified dll didn't do the trick however my specific case has been introduced by another guy in the second page. I too have latest w10 build and Intel graphic card.

The topic suggests two alternatives for d3d8 titles and one for ddraw titles. Read the entire topic.

Reply 8 of 9, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Myloch wrote:

Unluckily that modified dll didn't do the trick

The modified DLL for Build 17763 doesn't actually do anything, read my latest post in that thread.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 9 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah, I saw the new post you freshly added. That explains a lot of things.