VOGONS

First post, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cue rant:

So like many retro gamers and system builders, there are parts you've been looking for - and in some cases have been for a great length of time.

One of the pieces I have been searching for is a BKM-27T decoder card for my BVM-20f1E CRT so I can feed s-video into it as my treasured n64 does not have RGB output. So I had an ebay alert set up for any time one is listed. And I waited... For about two years...

Then a few days ago I randomly searched the "completed" section of ebay to see how often they actually sold. I saw one sold about two weeks ago for a price I'd have snapped the sellers hand off for.

No ebay alert. T.T

Turns out ebay deactivates them if you change phone/reinstall the app. But not /all/ of them. Just some.

Gah.

What pieces have slipped through your fingers fellow retro-fans?

Last edited by Vaudane on 2019-02-21, 14:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Also check if you have any filters in place - mainly location.

Yeah I've been bitten by that before too. I have no idea what the "default location" actually does, but it's annoying as hell, especially needing to manually change every saved search to "worldwide".

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Not to mention that worldwide means you miss those that only sell locally... (but you could fet via proxy shipping service)
There are services that send you an INSTANT alert as soon as something pops up on ebay. Much better than the alert everyday on a fixed hour by ebay 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, it only lists people that ship worldwide... you need to scout the local ebay sites as well 😉
Or rather local+worldwide. So on ebay.com it will list US+worldwide

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you select WorldWide is will also include local listings but only on that eBay. For a complete search you should search on all eBay sites (de/it/co.uk/ca/ie/com.au...) and also change shipping to match the local eBay country.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

There are services that send you an INSTANT alert as soon as something pops up on ebay. Much better than the alert everyday on a fixed hour by ebay 😉

Could you recommend any? Ebays built in alerts are pretty damn useless.