Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 355, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

This might be stupid question but did you install the 3dfx rush patch to the tomb raider and use that executable to run it?
I ask this because I thought that executable would not run at all if it doesn't find voodoo card and you would not get software rendering with it either.
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/tomb-raider.html

buckeye wrote:

Heh, I'm debating on getting one too, but the pricing is just ludicrous. Almost snagged a nice NIB Canopus 6mb model but waited too long, I'm bad at procrastinating! For the record, I got my V2 to run TR1 by disabling SLI, using the rush patch and going with a slower P3 450 in place of the 850. Truthfully couldn't tell you which of those had the most affect.

Baoran wrote:

For me the main thing was cpu speed and speed sensitivity of the ovl file version. Rush patch is the only one that works with Voodoo2 because it searches for the glide2x.ovl file while the standard 3dfx patch only wants voodoo1 card and nothing else works with it. Having SLI didn't matter for me at all. if I had correct ovl file that worked with single voodoo2, it also worked with SLI. It also did not seem to matter which game it was, it seemed to be only that if the ovl file was correct the voodoo2 card(s) were detected and worked but not detected using other ovl file versions.

I have a video you can look at of the issue for yourself - answered all of the questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWYKN3_VCvA

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 301 of 355, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whole thread is about Dos Glide, all this video is about Win95, try Dos.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 302 of 355, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

I have a video you can look at of the issue for yourself - answered all of the questions.

I think you might have confused between TR1 and TRUB, and used the TR1 3Dfx patch on TRUB. TRUB is a bonus level and has its own separate 3Dfx patch. TRUB should be installed on top of TR1 installation. Hence, I think your TR1 installation might also have gone bad or a bad CD or questionable source of CD, or else one of the TR1 3Dfx patch would have started TR1 instead. The error message was about FMV because TR1 EXEs have additional playback of FMVs after the "CORE" intro.

TRUB 3Dfx patch does use GLIDE2X.OVL similar to TR1 Voodoo Rush patch. Though TRUB 3Dfx patch TGREADME.TXT says it does not work with Voodoo2 , you can try with GLIDE2X.OVL from Voodoo2.

Reply 303 of 355, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote:

I think you might have confused between TR1 and TRUB, and used the TR1 3Dfx patch on TRUB. TRUB is a bonus level and has its own separate 3Dfx patch. TRUB should be installed on top of TR1 installation. Hence, I think your TR1 installation might also have gone bad or a bad CD or questionable source of CD, or else one of the TR1 3Dfx patch would have started TR1 instead. The error message was about FMV because TR1 EXEs have additional playback of FMVs after the "CORE" intro.

TRUB 3Dfx patch does use GLIDE2X.OVL similar to TR1 Voodoo Rush patch. Though TRUB 3Dfx patch TGREADME.TXT says it does not work with Voodoo2 , you can try with GLIDE2X.OVL from Voodoo2.

Well then I'd have to be able to distinguish between the different files. I got what I understood to be "Tomb Raider GOLD" CD. I didn't even know about UB until I installed it and didn't get the 1st level I was expecting. I never played Tomb Raider 1 or 2 back in the day. My very first experience with Tomb Raider was Tomb Raider 3 on the PlayStation 1.

The reason I obtained Tomb Raider 1 and 2 was because I understood that it would use the Voodoo cards with GLIDE and I was looking for all kinds of interesting games that use GLIDE (my games list includes: Tomb Raider 1 GOLD, Tomb Raider 2 GOLD, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Turok 1, Turok 2, GLQuake, Quake II, Unreal GOLD, and then a few others that use the cards like Diablo 2, Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy 8 ). And that was all to be installed on my Windows 98 SE gaming rig. ALL of the games work properly except Tomb Raider 1, which only runs in software rendering mode. It doesn't matter whether I run it from Windows or if I exit to DOS 7 and try to run it there. The difference is, Tomb Raider locks up the entire computer if I run it from DOS, necessitating a complete hard reboot of the system each time, whereas Windows catches the failure of the program and gives me the error you saw on the video. I wasn't about to spend 8 minutes doing what I could do in 2 minutes on that video waiting on reboots.

I do remember finding 3dfx executables ON THE CD ITSELF and trying those - got the exact same result every time. Nothing changed.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 304 of 355, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is also DOS games:

• Burnout: Championship Drag Racing - Player's Choice Edition
    NIRA: Intense Import Drag Racing

and Blood Beta 3dfx patch

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 308 of 355, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
villeneuve wrote:

There are many more DOS games with Glide support.

This is recurring statement that pops up from time to time, which I openly doubt . Could you name a few please?

Reply 309 of 355, by villeneuve

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got them noted somewhere not accessible right now. From my head & a quick search, so no guarantee, I'd say Extreme Assault, Archimedean Dynasty/Schleichfahrt, MDK, Grand Theft Auto, Descent, Descent 2, Mechwarrior 2, Whiplash/Fatal Racing, Screamer 2, Screamer Rally, Carmageddon, Blood, NASCAR Racing 2, Redguard, Dreams to Reality. Some got Glide-support only after release, so you need to patch those, mostly official patches, some unsupported or community-made.

Reply 311 of 355, by villeneuve

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you're right. Regarding MDK all Glide patches I got for that require Windows. Mobygames.com is wrong on that then.
Oh yes, this is the thread with the list included, I confused it with a general Voodoo2 compatiblity thread.
I still think there more DOS Glide games though or maybe I'm wrong and the games are all DOS & Windows and only on the latter there is Glide support. Hind is one of those games that just came to my mind.

Reply 312 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
villeneuve wrote:

I still think there more DOS Glide games though or maybe I'm wrong and the games are all DOS & Windows and only on the latter there is Glide support. Hind is one of those games that just came to my mind.

If you know about more games, then please provide proof and it will be added to the list in first post. You are although correct that many games came with DOS version, but only the Windows version supported 3D acceleration.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 314 of 355, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my Diamond Monster 3D 4MB PCI card in today and it works fabulously with Tomb Raider Unfinished Business!

Of course, to be able to install from the CD image I burned on a CD-R from the archives here at Vogons, I had to completely wipe my hard drive and re-install Windows 95 from scratch...

...but I digress...

Now I can find out what all the fuss was about 3dfx GLIDE in the DOS days with a proper Pentium 1 computer.

Hell, if I had video editing software and a decent camera and mic setup, I'd do a build video of each of my systems and put that on YouTube. I'd have so many views! Like.... 15!

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 315 of 355, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

vetz what about Voodoo4/5 test results?

Voodoo 1 and 2 (with workarounds here in this thread) cards have the best DOS games compatibility. I never have tested VSA-100 based card unter DOS.

I think that the V4 4500 would make less problems than a 5500 with 2 VSA-100 chips. For example: You have to disable one VSA-100 chip on the V5 5500 to run Carmageddon 1: https://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14410#top

Never have tested it, because I have a Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 Retro PC for DOS Glide games.

Reply 317 of 355, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Voodoo2 is not enough for DOS Glide game Pyl.

I think you mean that the Voodoo 2 doesen't have enough power for this game? I have found out that this games can run with a V5 but with stripes slush. Try it out with a Voodoo 3.

Reply 318 of 355, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Voodoo2 and Voodoo3 , unfortunately Pyl doesnot run fast on them. I think its game itself, would be very cool if someone test it on voodoo4 and voodoo5 and tell how fps fees like, or there any other way to benchmark fps on dos glide games?

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 319 of 355, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

Voodoo2 is not enough for DOS Glide game Pyl.

It is likely that as the platform evolved over time, the PCI bus was moving further away from the CPU. For the last chipsets that ever support PCI bus, the performance is crippled.

Voodoo2 was the highest performance hardware for 3Dfx Glide available at the time Pyl was in development. OK, they could have targeted for 25FPS gameplay, but that was no way slow anyway back then. Voodoo3 has an AGP option, but AGP is obsolete.