Games that don't run properly on faster CPUs

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 141, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aquishix wrote:
The map scrolling speed is also too high on a system which is too fast. I could deal with the scrolling problem without caring […]
Show full quote
dr_st wrote:
aquishix wrote:

On the other hand, my 486DX2-66 is a little too fast for the game, because of the palette rotation on the water.

Is palette rotation the only problem? If so, I wouldn't bother researching any alternatives.

The map scrolling speed is also too high on a system which is too fast. I could deal with the scrolling problem without caring too much about it, but the palette rotation being too fast really bothers me.

I know I'm more obsessive than a lot of people when it comes to stuff like this, but I really believe in playing the game the way the creators intended for it to be played. The water animation is supposed to look a certain way, and it just looks wrong on a system which is too fast.

On the other hand, the 486DX2-66 came out in 1992 if I'm not mistaken -- two years before the release of Warcraft I. So you'd think that Blizzard would've made the game with that in mind. But maybe they didn't, and were targeting the mid-level machines of the day. My family couldn't afford anything nearly that fancy back then, so my memories don't help me in this case. I still had a 10MHz XT-turbo clone until ~1994, when I got my 386DX40.

What about lowering the bus speed on your 486 DX2 system to 25Mhz? That should drop it to 50Mhz. You might even have a 20Mhz bus speed setting, which would give you 40Mhz. Use the turbo button on either of those if they are too fast at full speed to see if it slows it down.

And if none of those work good enough, you might try upping the bus speed to 40Mhz, which will give you 80Mhz CPU speed and then use the turbo button to slow it down.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 121 of 141, by aquishix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

What about lowering the bus speed on your 486 DX2 system to 25Mhz? That should drop it to 50Mhz. You might even have a 20Mhz bus speed setting, which would give you 40Mhz. Use the turbo button on either of those if they are too fast at full speed to see if it slows it down.

And if none of those work good enough, you might try upping the bus speed to 40Mhz, which will give you 80Mhz CPU speed and then use the turbo button to slow it down.

Those are both good suggestions, but I decided just to live with the slightly too-fast palette rotation of the native 486DX2-66's speed with the cache disabled. It was acceptable for several reasons, notably the fact that that system was widely available by 1994 when Warcraft came out -- therefore, Blizzard probably had at least one of those systems in their dev shop and were aware of how the game played on it.

I beat both the Human and Orc campaigns, then blew through both campaigns on Warcraft II on my P-II system, and now I'm on to The Dark Portal.

I just didn't want to screw around with the bus speeds on the 486, because there are so many jumpers involved on that particular motherboard to do that. It's not as simple as changing a single jumper -- there are 4 or 5, maybe even 6 jumpers involved in changing the settings to all match correctly. It almost inspires me to build a half-height switch panel for custom motherboard jumper switching. I might do such a thing someday, but I'm not quite motivated yet.

Reply 122 of 141, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Realms of Arkania I and II to the DOS section of the Wiki.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 124 of 141, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Battle Arena Toshiden 1- Too fast on win98se P3 550MHz + GF2 MX. Vanilla game no patches used
B. Arena Toshiden 2- Too fast on p4 2.2 GHz + Intel extreme Grphics 2 (IGP) and win98se. No bugs

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 125 of 141, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Battle Zone (1983) - 8088 4.77
Blood: Cryptic Passage (1997) - "Runtime error 200" on 200+ Mhz
Blood Omen (1997) - uneven speed-ups on fast Pentiums
CD-Man (1989) - 286?
Catechumen (2000) - too fast even on middle-ground PIII's if GPU isn't a bottleneck
Chicago 90 (1989) - 286?
Choose an Enemy / "Кулачный Бой" (1991) - 286?
Conan the Cimmerian (1991) - 286
DeathTrack (1989) - 286
Defender (1983) - 8088 4.77
Dreams / "Эхо снов" (1997) - "Runtime error 200" on 200+ Mhz
Digger (1983) - 8088 4.77
Fallout 2 (1998) - global map movement is too fast on PII 300+
Gabriel Knight (1993) - some scripts break on fast processors; disabling caches works
Golden Oldies: Volume 1 (1985) - 8088 4.77
Grand Theft Auto (1997) - menu animation is too fast on PII+
King's Bounty 2 (1993) - "Runtime error 200" on 200+ Mhz
Leisure Suit Larry VGA (1991) - some animations are too fast on 486+
Magic Carpet (1994) - too fast on Pentium 90+, hitting "R" for hi-res helps on PIII's
Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (2002) - timing issues in 2 missions with CPU over ~2Ghz
Pole Chudes: Capital Show / "Поле Чудес" (1993) - 286
Prophecy 1: The Viking Child (1991) - 286?
Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66 (1997) - "Runtime error 200" on 200+ Mhz
Robocop 3 (1992) - 286?
Sobor / "Соборъ" (1991) - 286
Supaplex (1991) - runs at twice the intended speed on 286+, see FAQ for more info
The Battle on the Black Sea (1992) - 286
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (1996) - animation is too fast, physics glitches on PII+
Turrican II: The Final Fight (1995) - sound setup initialization breaks on fast CPUs
Transland (1996) - 486 66

All (but Supaplex) can be easily fixed with Throttle or FDAPM + the caches trick on pre-2000s systems with ACPI.

Last edited by Revolter on 2019-03-04, 02:15. Edited 5 times in total.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 126 of 141, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66 (1997) - "Runtime error 200" on 200+ Mhz Is this game made on build-like engine? i remember this game needing a really fast cpu for high reoslution/fps like Blood and DN3d.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 127 of 141, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MKT_Gundam, yeah, it's just the shell/launcher that's giving the problems. I heard that you can replace it with a .bat-file that moves the required ART/CON/GRP stuff comprising Build add-ons, and boom, problem is no more. You can also just slow-down the PC, start the game, alt-tab back to Windows, speed it up again, and alt-tab back into the game. Or just patch it 😀

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 128 of 141, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was testing Dragon Lore the other day in my P4 3GHz and had to use both a FSB of 100MHz (so, half speed) and the highest throttle on... well, THROTTLE.EXE. Otherwise the menu runs so fast it goes back to the introduction after a second, and the character animations play just too fast.

Also, tried Dreams to Reality, and the framerate gets so high that some physics based on it make it unplayable. The 3DFX version worked fine, but the software only DOS version had the player falling at 400FPS as soon as it spawned. Even though it's barely a small boop, the game must count how many frames you've been in a "falling state", since you lose all your hitpoints and can never actually get to play the game. It's hilarious, though.

And, another one, Azrael's Tear requires heavy throttling or it's way too fast. Also, the mouse is very jumpy. Haven't tested it too much yet, so I'm not sure if the mouse problems are related to the game running too fast or not.

Reply 129 of 141, by Moreira_X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently put together a Windows 98SE machine. P3 800, 512 MB of RAM, Geforce 5200 and MicroSD to IDE. Anyway I was trying to play some games from my childhood (Like everybody elsehere, I assume) and Street Fighter Zero for Windows 95 runs fast as hell, barely playable and have some video issues with full screen(It runs on full screen but on a lower resolution, there's a big black border all around the image) and it runs even faster on window mode. Any ideas?

Reply 130 of 141, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Supaplex -I though this game was just really picky with sound cards but no, (sb16, als100, als4000, solo-1) all work on a 386 16mhz machine.
On a pc faster than around 133mhz > the game hangs or freezes (game irq auto detection problem?) when selecting sound blaster and then the FX option. You can fix this by not loading a mouse driver but sometimes even with FX selected you get no sound. No mouse won't help if you load a non us-keyboard, keyb.com will cause certain keys to stop responding on faster machines.

Last edited by AvalonH on 2020-08-03, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 131 of 141, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blade Runner has some issues with CPUs faster than ~200 MHz. From the PC gaming wiki:

On modern CPUs, shooting range targets never appear or take minutes to. A similar issue occurs with the "rat in the tunnel" portion of the game.

When I replayed this game a couple of months ago, I used Throttle on my downclocked AthlonXP @ 500 MHz to slow it down by another 75% and that solved the issue. Throttle seemed to work fine under Win98 despite being a DOS program. There's also a fan-made patch available but I didn't try that myself.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 132 of 141, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Testing on my Intel Xeon 2.35GHz (HP Z400 workstation):

Nova 9 is unwinnable on fast machines. The simulation becomes very smooth which is really nice, but you lose height when doing jumps. This prevents you from getting to the win teleporter to the last level, not to mention a few opportunities to touch some highly suspended power ups. SetMul fixes these issues but you lose the butter-smooth simulation.

Stellar 7 (the remake) is totally unplayable on fast machines. The simulations becomes super fast instead of smooth like in Nova 9. SetMul helps but IMO not enough to make it even a fair game. The cutscenes whiz super fast in all cases when speech is enabled.

Reply 133 of 141, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers has some timers going off too quickly on a PII-300, rendering the game unwinnable since you can't proceed. I don't know the fastest system that this game can be won, but a PII-300 isn't it.

Now this appears to be a known issue, there's even a patch from NewRisingSun
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight … Help.html#Speed

But unless the patch addresses all timers in general (which I doubt since the problem description talks specifically about the desk sergeant on day 6), there is another timer near the end of the game. Not to spoil much: it's when you play the drums to summon and then you need to go to a specific room to put something on.

Reply 134 of 141, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying the gog version of Speed Busters but it crashes a lot while playing. I'm on Win7 x64. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Reply 136 of 141, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was Castle Wolfenstein (1984) mentioned already?
Beyond Castle Wolfenstein too.

###HP Vectra VL 5/133 Series 4, D4644B###
CPU: Pentium 1 133Mhz
RAM: 96 MB EDO RAM (4x8MB, 2x32MB)
GPU: ELSA Victory 3DX (S3 Virge/DX 4MB)
Sound: Avance Logic ALS100 Plus+ REV 2.0
HDD: Seagate 20 GB (need to boot OnTrack)

Reply 137 of 141, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dick Tracy: The Crime-Solving Adventure gives Runtime error R6003 with a Pentium 200 MMX.

I was able to run it with SLOWDOWN from Bret Johnson.
Re: Runtime error R6003 integer divide by 0 - real Fixes for fast CPUs, no slowdown workaround..

Reply 138 of 141, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was scouting the VOGONS WIKI list for this particular topic and I find games: Interstate'76 and Jane's USNF. In my experience, these two don't have speed affected from fast CPUs but instead from a missing Vsync control. On my Windows 11 games natively work with correct speed when the framerate is limited to 30FPS and 60FPS respectively, using the Nvidia Profiler and DxWnd. So I can't ascertain why they have been added in the list of games which are affected by CPU speed.

I will have to check for SpeedBusters too, I think it was a similar case.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058