VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ledarius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to run the dos version of WarCraft 2.

I recently downloaded DOSBox version .63, and the D-Fend GUI to go along with it. Everything works fine except the application won't detect my CD drive.

I cannot play the single player game without the CD. Do I need to load some sort of old dos CD-ROM driver so that the game will detect my CD?

Reply 3 of 7, by ledarius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the spot to mount the CD-ROM in the D-Fend GUI, and the game detected my disc.

My only problem now seems to be choppiness, both in the movies and in the gameplay itself. I'm running a 2 ghz machine with a gig of RAM and a Radeon 8500 video card, so I'm assuming there is an option someplace that will improve my performance, since its not my equipment.

Reply 4 of 7, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look in your dosbox.conf file in the location to where you installed DOSBox. Open it with a text editor, and look for somewhat like Emulated cycles per second. By default it should be 3000, it should be work fine if you push it to 20000 on your PC - that should correct the problems.

Left this dictatoric junk. No. IV.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to monitor your processor usage with Task Manager while increasing the cycles to make sure that your not using 100% processor. You only want to be using about 90-95%.

Also grab a CVS build from the link in my signature. If your using the ancient 0.63 build of DosBox then the below builds will be much faster.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But first step: plug out that CPU labelled "Celeron" from your socket, and place something in it which really works at 2GHz 😜 - i already could test this: Celeron CPUs are typically half as fast as "real" CPUs offering the same speed! So 10000 cycles 😜 (A real machine with the hardwares you have should really be able to run fine on 20000 cycles). You may also set frameskip to 2 (DOS things run at at least 60Hz, so it would result 20FPS. Enough for continous movement while it puts less pressure on your hardware).

By the way it might happen too if you have a not so good sound equipment that it can not work how it should. As i tried out i experienced that producing continous sound on for example an AC97 integrated card is much trickier than with a "real" sound card. There are settings in the config file relating to this too - try to set the pre - buffering higher what should make the sound better. However it will also make the sound more delayed (might be annoying for effects).

Left this dictatoric junk. No. IV.