Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27680 of 52699, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

Ok, thanks! Didn't know that.. what were they used on?

I believe these came out of some kind of mobile device. Feipoa bought a bunch a year or two ago. He had to use quite a bit of wire wrap to get them working in a standard board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 27681 of 52699, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wirerogue wrote:
pny geforce4 ti4600 […]
Show full quote

pny geforce4 ti4600

ebay seller had 31 of them and they all sold in less than 24 hours at $30 + $5 shipping

pny.geforce.ebay.jpg

mine arrived today. looks brand new. haven't tested it out yet.

geforce4.jpg

did anyone else here get one?

At that price, he was practically giving them away. The last two GF4 AGP cards I picked up had some kind of flaws, corrupt pixels before loading the driver, or after the driver was loaded. After that experience, I shyed away from GF4 cards and decided to be content with my Ti4400.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 27682 of 52699, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doaks80 wrote:
retardware wrote:

The explanation is very interesting.
Fully agree with the conclusions, can understand the admins.

I don't disagree totally with the reasoning, but I think a good compromise would be an eBay thread (lets be honest its mostly all on eBay) where no replies/comments are allowed, just original posts of great deals. Obviously it would be a target for spam, but hey, better there than in the rest of the forum.

And what is the greater evil....a bit of forum spam or scumbag traders stealing all the good deals?

How about a thread which tries to gauge [sold] fair market value for rare or expensive vintage computer hardware? Market value for popular or rare classic computer hardware

Reply 27683 of 52699, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
wirerogue wrote:
pny geforce4 ti4600 […]
Show full quote

pny geforce4 ti4600

ebay seller had 31 of them and they all sold in less than 24 hours at $30 + $5 shipping

Nice find. If you replace the electrolytic capacitors (the others are probably fine) and the cooler with a Zalman, then this can be a reliable and silent card.

Btw, it seems that some traders stepped in, one person has even bought 10 of them 😀

the only problem now is i have to figure out what to do with my msi starforce822 geforce3 that i just bought last week for $35 and haven't even installed yet. it's pretty nice too i think.

geforce3.jpg
Filename
geforce3.jpg
File size
272.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27684 of 52699, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wirerogue wrote:
pny geforce4 ti4600 […]
Show full quote

pny geforce4 ti4600

pny.geforce.ebay.jpg

geforce4.jpg

I did. Completely corrupted.. wouldn't make it past the POST screen without causing the system to hang. Already returned for a refund.

nABY2Igl.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 27685 of 52699, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:

I did. Completely corrupted.. wouldn't make it past the POST screen without causing the system to hang. Already returned for a refund.

feipoa wrote:

The last two GF4 AGP cards I picked up had some kind of flaws, corrupt pixels before loading the driver, or after the driver was loaded. After that experience, I shyed away from GF4 cards...

Not surprised. Anyone else?

I recently had the same issue trying to source an AGP Pro card, the ATI FireGL X1 256M. Same type of issues. After 4 cards, I gave up. Anyone with an ATI FireGL X1 256M AGPPro?

Reply 27686 of 52699, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why are they dying so much? I have a Quadro equivalent of the Ti4600, with the small stock heatsink, and it doesnt seem to run particularly hot under load, so its not because of heat issues, is it?

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 27687 of 52699, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a quad of 'for parts only' intel 486 CPUs on ebay recently and they finally arrived:

qBVAJeU.jpg
jXISuAM.jpg

It took a bit of time to straighten out all the pins and especially to scrape the rock-hard glue/cement off the DX2 chip. But finally, after testing them, they all seem to work just fine 😀

Reply 27688 of 52699, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
frudi wrote:
I got a quad of 'for parts only' intel 486 CPUs on ebay recently and they finally arrived: […]
Show full quote

I got a quad of 'for parts only' intel 486 CPUs on ebay recently and they finally arrived:

qBVAJeU.jpg
jXISuAM.jpg

It took a bit of time to straighten out all the pins and especially to scrape the rock-hard glue/cement off the DX2 chip. But finally, after testing them, they all seem to work just fine 😀

Straightening pins out on CPUs can be hair raising at times. Glad you were successful and everything worked.

Reply 27689 of 52699, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:

Why are they dying so much? I have a Quadro equivalent of the Ti4600, with the small stock heatsink, and it doesnt seem to run particularly hot under load, so its not because of heat issues, is it?

We all know that processors are different, even on the same die.
Due to the inevitable variations there are different qualities.
Specimens that are good, draw little current (or in other words, leak energy) and switch faster than others.

For this reason we know that there of the same processor type there are more or less numerous variations in (optimum) voltage and clock limit.

However on GPUs there is no such "individual treatment".
But how do the GPU manufacturers deal with the inevitably varying qualities of the production output?

So my suspicion is that good chips that do not run hot (compared to the majority) are being used for passive cards,
and the best ones, those which in addition can serve at high clock, go to the premium cards,
Finally, on the other end of the quality spectrum, the worst chips (slow, developing much heat) go to cheap cards with massive fan coolers.

This is my personal speculation.
So I suspect that possibly this "NOS stock" actually might be some old returns leftover that got rediscovered and sold for a very low price to get rid of it quickly.

Reply 27690 of 52699, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received my replacement pf caps yesterday night. I replaced the one missing (what I guessed was a) 33pf tantalum capacitor. C32 was split in half before I started cleaning and fell apart after.

20190307_223422.jpg
Filename
20190307_223422.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
turbo888xt.jpg
Filename
turbo888xt.jpg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File comment
Please disregard the mess
File license
closeup.jpg
Filename
closeup.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File comment
it boots
File license

I was able to get my AT kayboard working with the flip of a switch to XT. I am in the process of creating some boot disks with my 486. I still have more cleaning to do on the board, but I am thrilled with the progress so far. I am a little worried about the VGA card I put in. It's output does not look very sharp on the CRT and it goes dim sometimes when the XT attempts to seek the floppy disk.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 27691 of 52699, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twilliamc wrote:

It's output does not look very sharp on the CRT and it goes dim sometimes when the XT attempts to seek the floppy disk.

Replace/fix the power supply! The voltages are probably way off, especially, when on load of floppy drive...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 27692 of 52699, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

finally! datapath e1s capture card, the capture is from my mmx pc (1997).

Attachments

• rgb.jpg
    Filename
    rgb.jpg
    File size
    595.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190313_112143.jpg
    Filename
    20190313_112143.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190313_113602.jpg
    Filename
    20190313_113602.jpg
    File size
    704.62 KiB
    Views
    File license

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 27693 of 52699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote:

Does it capture through DVI? You have DVI Out on your MMX PC?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27694 of 52699, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote:
I did. Completely corrupted.. wouldn't make it past the POST screen without causing the system to hang. Already returned for a r […]
Show full quote
wirerogue wrote:
pny geforce4 ti4600 […]
Show full quote

pny geforce4 ti4600

pny.geforce.ebay.jpg

geforce4.jpg

nABY2Igl.jpg

oh man, that's a bummer. 🙁 i will be testing mine this evening.

Reply 27695 of 52699, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
arncht wrote:

yep, in this case dvi-a with converter 😀 win95 1024x768

Attachments

• win95.jpg
    Filename
    win95.jpg
    File size
    597.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 27696 of 52699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
arncht wrote:

yep, in this case dvi-a with converter 😀 win95 1024x768

Oh so it accepts analogue video over DVI? Fantastic.

Plug n Pray 🤣

Reply 27697 of 52699, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i dont want two displays - i am curious, how big is the lag, if i loop my retropcs to the capturecard.

Reply 27698 of 52699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote:

i dont want two displays - i am curious, how big is the lag, if i loop my retropcs to the capturecard.

You don't need dual displays? I use a Dell P2414H, three inputs, one is VGA, I can switch between them via keyboard shortcuts 😀

Reply 27699 of 52699, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i dont want a compromise at the modern display - actually i use a 34" 21:9 montor, the latest displays dont support the analog inputs anymore. until now, i used a dell 2007fp for the retro, but i need the place for my studio speakers.

if i have even more place later, i want a dedicated desk with a crt to my retro pcs.