VOGONS

First post, by BillyH666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just swapped the K6-2 450 (heatsink is stuck on but good so i'm not sure if it's AFX, AGX, or AHX.) this had in it out with a K6-2 550AGR. To my surprise it's, still reading as a k6-2 450. Not sure why this is, anybody want to lend a helping hand?

System Specs are:
Board: VOS 9GM91104181 Ver A03 ATX Aladdin V (not sure what the actual brand name is 😜)
CPU: AMD K6-2 450MHz 32MB RAM
RAM: 288 MB
Video Card: Voodoo 3 2000 AGP

Reply 1 of 14, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the board actually support the 5.5 multiplier and K6-2 550 model? Did you configure the jumpers properly?

If you can find a newer BIOS, it might help flashing it. Also, try setting the multiplier to 1.5x or 2x, that sometimes works on boards that don't support high enough multipliers.

Reply 3 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RTFM :v

Or if I want to be less rude, check which motherboard you have and find its manual online 😀
Anything before late slot 1/athlon need to be configured via jumpers on the motherboard to run properly. On some cases it can lead to really bad overvolt that can end up into a burned CPU (don't worry, K6-2s use the same range of volts. Worst case scenario, you're overvolting it by 0.2V, this is nothing.)

Take care of this when working on anything from 486 to socket 7 😉

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make a photo of the "POST string", it shows up on the bottom of screen of the bios when ram is being counted usually, this is a good way to identify a motherboard

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 14, by BillyH666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

That looks about right based on other reference images, unfortunately, based on the info it seems to only be able to go up to 450mhz. No biggie, thanks for the help!

Reply 12 of 14, by BillyH666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Check this for jumper settings http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/VP1543/VP1543jumpers.htm - you'll want 5.5 x 100MHz at 2.3V

followed the instructions to the letter. Happy to say that, after completely removing the "off" jumpers like an idiot, causing a very long beep, and instead simply moving them to the "off" position, the mobo now reads the 550 as it should be. Thank you all very much for your help, I'm now a little wiser in how to setup a computer.

Reply 13 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also try 2X multi to actually get a 6X out. This way BIOS will show you have AMD K6-2/600 🤣

For BIOS display (and actual speed) it's only important what jumpers you set on the motherboard and not what it's written on the CPU.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs