VOGONS

486 boot problem

Topic actions

First post, by windowsio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
So, I have purchased a 486 DX2 (AMD) and a mobo that is green (green like a MANUFACTURER NOT A COLOR)
When I hooked it up to a adapter so my PSU could work with it the fan spins, nothing else.
I have a trident video card.
Thanks for any help.
windowsio

Reply 1 of 44, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which fan?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 3 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Green" is almost certainly not the manufacturer of your motherboard, but a label that indicates that it does some sort of power saving or other. So unfortunately you're not telling us anything other than that there's an Am486DX2 at some or other speed in there...

Back in the days of the 486, you generally had a shitload of jumpers to configure on a board for any given CPU. If you haven't got a positive ID on the board, you can't have checked whether the jumpers are set correctly for your situation. Not having any other information, I'd guess that that's the most likely cause. But that's just the biggest needle in a huge haystack. How about getting A LOT more specific?

- which Am486DX2?
- if you can't ID the board yourself, give us more to go on. A sharp, hi-res picture might do the trick
- which PSU? Is it known to work with other systems?
- which adapter?
- which Trident video card (or at least: which Trident chip on it) and where is it plugged in? Is this known-good too?
- what sort of monitor are you using? Have you seen DOS-era stuff work on it before?
- is there any RAM in the board? If so, what type, how much and in which slots?
- what else is connected to the motherboard? (be specific here as well)

If I had an unknown board, my first steps would be:
- ID the board if at all possible
- check jumper settings for my CPU
- hook up the bare minimum of known-good parts, so RAM (4x 30p SIMM or 1x 72p SIMM in the case of 486), CPU, VGA and keyboard.
- try and boot
- use my Port 80 debug card in case of doubt. These things are overrated for pinpointing the exact cause of a problem, but are great in telling you whether the board is doing absolutely nothing (something very fundamental is wrong), starting to boot but hanging somewhere (usually a timing/setting issue) or actually booting perfectly, just not showing anything on screen (VGA card and/or monitor involved).

Reply 4 of 44, by windowsio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right, buckle up.
- Am486 DX2-80 3 volt
https://imgur.com/a/PDywK8T
- The PSU worked with other systems.
- A unbranded adapter to connect to an ATX PSU
-Trident 7343 REV H3
- A SAMSUNG SyncMaster 743N
- Yes, I did run Windows 95/DOS just fine with this monitor.
- There is ram, though I cannot figure out how much. It's NEC.
-Only the video card (the trident one) 1 stick of ram (just took out everything swapped and stuff for you know, TeStInG) and the CPU, heatsink.
So, I had a manual for this board but I've lost it. I have followed all of the steps for my CPU.
Oh, also No keyboard yet! Gonna buy one when the system POSTS.

Reply 7 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
windowsio wrote:

All right, buckle up.
- Am486 DX2-80 3 volt
https://imgur.com/a/PDywK8T

I believe I see the name of the board silkscreened, but can't make it out. Look on the PCB between the 4th and 5th ISA slot from top. There's a rectangular box with two lines of text/code. I suspect that the top one is the model name. Could you post what it says inside the box?

- The PSU worked with other systems.
- A unbranded adapter to connect to an ATX PSU
-Trident 7343 REV H3

Has this Trident VLB card worked in other systems?

- A SAMSUNG SyncMaster 743N
- Yes, I did run Windows 95/DOS just fine with this monitor.

Should be good indeed.

There is ram, though I cannot figure out how much. It's NEC.

Agree with Deksor, if this is EDO, not FP, it won't work. If you can't figure it out, let us help. Post the chip code (first line of text on the RAM chips on the SIMM) here.

-Only the video card (the trident one) 1 stick of ram (just took out everything swapped and stuff for you know, TeStInG) and the CPU, heatsink.
So, I had a manual for this board but I've lost it. I have followed all of the steps for my CPU.
Oh, also No keyboard yet! Gonna buy one when the system POSTS.

That might be a catch-22. Usually boards will happily post with a keyboard error in this state, but sometimes they just refuse to POST...

Reply 9 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
windowsio wrote:

-No, it's just Q1: MIC29502BT Q3: LT1085CT - 3.3

Hmmph. Any chance of a better pic of the whole board then? If you lay it flat on a table with good lighting (not from straight above but a bit to the side), you can usually do pretty well, even with a smartphone camera. At 1600x1200 or so we should be able to make out enough.

- I do not have other systems that support that Trident card.

Do you have another VLB or maybe an ISA card you could try as well?

chip code: 424400-60

4Mbit FP, 60ns. Perfect RAM for this situation. So long as the SIMM isn't broken, this should do the trick.

So should I buy a keyboard?

Always a good idea if you want to mess around with old AT-era stuff. If you have PS/2 boards you can of course get a DIN->PS/2 adapter instead. But for now I'd say getting a positive ID on the motherboard - and checking the jumpers - would be first priority.

Reply 13 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, then it's time to check the jumpers. Your latest pic is good, but not necessarily good enough for that.

What I can see:
JP21-22-23 are for system clock. A DX2-80 needs 40MHz here. That should be 2-3 1-2 1-2, but it looks like all three are on 2-3 2-3 2-3, which is not a documented setting. In any event I'd recommend starting out at 33MHz (so CPU at 66MHz), as 40MHz on VLB brings its own challenges. Try setting these to 1-2 2-3 2-3 and see what that does.

Also JP58 is for cache mode. I believe the Am486DX2 only supports WT, but JP58 is set for WB (closed). Try to set it to open.

Reply 19 of 44, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where does the board get hot ? On the opti chips ? Maybe something is shorted ? Check on the AT slot if the GND isn't shorted with +5v/+12v

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative