VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 136, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should point out that I'm not uncomfortable with Slack/Discord. I just think that the IRC protocol should have received a backwards-compatible update that all of these chat clients then use, instead of having all of these chat systems that are incompatible both with each other, and also with older systems. Also yes, they are bloated just like most modern software. Our hardware is too freaking fast! No incentive to code efficiently any more, just "import all the things" and you get whatever huge 50 GB set of libraries you need to produce a 300 MB hello world program.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 81 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

I should point out that I'm not uncomfortable with Slack/Discord. I just think that the IRC protocol should have received a backwards-compatible update that all of these chat clients then use, instead of having all of these chat systems that are incompatible both with each other, and also with older systems. Also yes, they are bloated just like most modern software. Our hardware is too freaking fast! No incentive to code efficiently any more, just "import all the things" and you get whatever huge 50 GB set of libraries you need to produce a 300 MB hello world program.

Exactly!

a 40kb super mario game was a prime example of it. Nowadays, 40kb is even smaller to a readme file to run the newest high tech PC game which requires 16GB of RAM and a super duper graphics card.

The Apollo 11 went to the moon and back with only 4kb of memory. 4KB OF MEMORY! How hard it can be for the modern day programmers to make smaller, more efficient programs to use less memory and resources? We have the technology, knowledge and resources to do that. We just don't want because... people want it done now and fast.

A few hours ago I was reading about some apple II fan who did an update to the old ProDOS. He squeezed every tiny byte to make possible more functions and utilities for ProDOS. It's quite amazing. He updated a 39 year-old operating system and kept it as small as it was.

The last official update ProDOS had was back in 1993.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 82 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is an iOS app called Mutter where I can use IRC on my iPhone or iPad. I just used for a few minutes, but looks like it works very well.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 83 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Palaver is a very nice IRC client for iOS that also has a ZNC module which helps a lot if you use desktop and ips device...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 84 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Palaver is a very nice IRC client for iOS that also has a ZNC module which helps a lot if you use desktop and ips device...

Looks very good, but it's a paid app 🙁

IRCCloud and Mutter are free and I use Mutter, but IRCCloud I just discovered now and it seems to be very good for iPad.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 85 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, it's a paid app, but you get what you pay for and it's worth every penny 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 86 of 136, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes I think that we should switch to a modern Discord server, because Discord is what a lot of people are using to do instant messaging these days, plus you can do voice chatting to talk to people easier (however that's not mandatory). You don't even need an app or program to use Discord, you can access it on your web browser as well, when logged in to Discord. I agree with how IRC is becoming a phase and not a lot of people use it these days. I've never even heard of IRC until about a year ago 😜

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 87 of 136, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

but IRC clients are for practically every OS out there and discord wouldn't play nicely with older OS's

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 89 of 136, by junglemontana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Discord can be used with a web browser so it works on numerous platforms. But the web client requires a modern (heavy) browser so it's not good for old computers. The desktop client is just an embedded Chromium-based browser which runs a HTML/Javascript interface.

On the other hand, there's a Discord plugin for Pidgin which should work on slightly older systems as well.

There are several reasons not to like IRC but it's simple, proven technology which is available for old and new systems, and it's partially decentralised and typically hosted by non-commercial groups so there isn't a single point of failure like there is with Discord.

Reply 90 of 136, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
junglemontana wrote:

Discord can be used with a web browser so it works on numerous platforms. But the web client requires a modern (heavy) browser so it's not good for old computers. The desktop client is just an embedded Chromium-based browser which runs a HTML/Javascript interface.

That's somewhat true, I guess. I'm sure Discord would work on retro computers and operating systems, but if you were to chat with other people using their voice chat (VC) feature, microphone quality might not be as good, since you'd be using an older sound card on your vintage PC.

junglemontana wrote:

There are several reasons not to like IRC but it's simple, proven technology which is available for old and new systems, and it's partially decentralised and typically hosted by non-commercial groups so there isn't a single point of failure like there is with Discord.

Maybe the VOGONS community could have both a Discord server and an IRC channel. Those who could be using the newest and hottest hardware could use Discord to chat with each other easily. But if they want to just stick with IRC, then they can do that.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 91 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setting up a Discord and IRC channel sounds like the best of both worlds for the people here.

I will be on IRC ofc, because I used it a lot in my days and I would like to enjoy it again.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 92 of 136, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's actually an IRC/Discord bridge out there. I think more than one. One of the channels on Freenode I am in uses one.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 93 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

There's actually an IRC/Discord bridge out there. I think more than one. One of the channels on Freenode I am in uses one.

“Bridge”? I’ve been out for years, doing karting and simracing, and I missed a lot of things. What is a Discord/IRC Bridge?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 94 of 136, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bfcastello wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

“Bridge”? I’ve been out for years, doing karting and simracing, and I missed a lot of things. What is a Discord/IRC Bridge?

In this case, it's a bot for the IRC channel and the Discord channel that posts everything said in a IRC channel to Discord and everything said in a Discord channel to IRC. You might also call it a "gateway" or something else, but at its root - it's a bot for IRC and Discord. Not necessarily pretty (images can't be embedded on IRC, gets complicated if you want to do more than one channel, direct-messaging people on IRC from Discord and vice-versa isn't necessarily a thing) but it is functional.
Here's two, I'd have to ask what the channel I'm in is using.
https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc
https://github.com/qaisjp/go-discord-irc

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 95 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
In this case, it's a bot for the IRC channel and the Discord channel that posts everything said in a IRC channel to Discord and […]
Show full quote
bfcastello wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

In this case, it's a bot for the IRC channel and the Discord channel that posts everything said in a IRC channel to Discord and everything said in a Discord channel to IRC. You might also call it a "gateway" or something else, but at its root - it's a bot for IRC and Discord. Not necessarily pretty (images can't be embedded on IRC, gets complicated if you want to do more than one channel, direct-messaging people on IRC from Discord and vice-versa isn't necessarily a thing) but it is functional.
Here's two, I'd have to ask what the channel I'm in is using.
https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc
https://github.com/qaisjp/go-discord-irc

Nice! Looks like you have all bases covered. Hehehe

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 97 of 136, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

You mean this? https://www.npmjs.com/package/discord-irc
That's a bot for Discord that can be written using that code. The bot seems to be known as "IRC Relay", and it can integrate conversations occurring in IRC into the Discord server and vise versa (conversations occurring in Discord are integrated in IRC as well).

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 99 of 136, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this a official (as in one or more mods from here actually staff the channel) IRC channel for VOGONS?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων