VOGONS

First post, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone!
I am a proud owner of a POD83 cpu and a loads of 486 hardware.
Recently I read this thread about modifying the voltage regulator on a POD83
Modifying the POD83's voltage regulator for overclocking
I really loved that thread, and I am going to do that mod to my POD 83. Running the POD83 stable at 100mhz is going to be sweet. 😀

This got me thinking. Could it be possible to hardwire the POD83s multiplier to a another setting? I know its stuck at 2.5x
It is in some fashion a pentium cpu. Maybe could it be possible to make a mod that gets it running a 1.5x multiplier?
It would be awesome to run it with a 66mhz fsb in 100mhz on one of those few motherboards that able to run a 66mhz fsb.
50mhz x 2 would also be cool.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone here with some knowledge about modifying multipliers externally?

Reply 1 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1x is possible by removing the fan...but other than that, I doubt there are other choices.
The multiplier is likely set in the CPU mask with little hope of changing it. I think the software route has already been explored.

Personally, I'd like to see 3x33.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 10, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2.5x40 would be the choice then? Isn't that a good compromise between performance and bus compatibility?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder how a socket 3 POD with 1x66MHz would compare to a socket 4 pod with 2x33MHz

Both speed would have the same data rate (66*32bits vs 33*64bits), and so only the guts would matter.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

I wonder how a socket 3 POD with 1x66MHz would compare to a socket 4 pod with 2x33MHz

Both speed would have the same data rate (66*32bits vs 33*64bits), and so only the guts would matter.

Both would have the same theoretical data rate, but in real life, I strongly suspect the 66MHz CPU would win hands-down, as its latencies would be half those of the 2x33MHz.

Reply 6 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cache and memory latency would be higher at 66Mhz. Because of it overall performance wouldn't be much different.

I can test this later tonight...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 10, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats really strange. A pentium 60 runs at a 60mhz bus. And a POD83 is a newer than that. Have you tried a 50mhz bus? A pentium 75 runs at a 50mhz bus. Im not sure witch nm node the POD83 or the p75 was manufactured.

Reply 10 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

.6 micro meter
PODs had more cache and didn’t scale very well for some reason

The second integer unit is also disabled

They planned a dx4 pod overdrive as well but the things were expensive and sold poorly.

From rumors the POD project took too long and was hard to optimize and like many intel overdrives came out too late at too low of a clock at too high of a price.