First post, by KaleidonKep99
I've been thinking about making a topic about it for almost 2 years, but I never had the guts of self-promoting it here... But I guess it's time... 😢
What's OmniMIDI, you might ask?
OmniMIDI is a MIDI synthesizer based around the BASSMIDI libraries, and a fork (or at least, what used to be) of BASSMIDI Driver (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27975).
Most of the original source code got nuked in the past 3 years...
What makes it better than the original?
I never liked how limited BASSMIDI Driver actually is. The driver itself is good, don't get me wrong, it works great and performs really well, but...
The configurator is pretty basic to say the least; the only options it gives you are the SoundFont lists editor, the volume and the latency setting... That's about it, as far as I know.
Meanwhile, my fork allows the user to take FULL CONTROL over the audio stream, with settings ranging from the maximum voice count, to how big the events buffer can be, or even overriding the banks/presets of specific channels.
There's also an useful debug window included, which allows you to see how many active voices are being played at the moment (per channel!), the rendering time/CPU usage of the driver, how much memory the MIDI app is using etc...
- Supports Windows Vista and newer (It does work on Windows XP, but the .NET 4.0 configurator is outdated)
- Guaranteed to work perfectly under Windows 10
- Can play up to 100.000 voices at the same time (If your PC is powerful enough, that is)
- Advanced SoundFont chaining/stacking system, which is an improved version of the one from BASSMIDI Driver
- Native support for DirectSound, WASAPI and ASIO
- Can output the audio directly to a WAV file
- All the features from BASSMIDI Driver are present here too (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27975)
The project itself is open-source, and its code can be viewed and edited by anyone, just like BASSMIDI Driver!
GitHub page: https://github.com/KeppySoftware/OmniMIDI
Grab the latest release from here: https://github.com/KeppySoftware/OmniMIDI/releases
Entire album here: https://imgur.com/a/pM0sL6h