VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28480 of 52680, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Those are nice machines. Sadly, I don't have the leather cover for mine.

I suspect that yours works though. 😀 Mine boots with vertical lines down the screen, a POST beep (1 long, 2 short) which indicates a video card issue, and that's that. I need to pull the card and inspect it for bad caps, etc. I'm no electronics guy though so I'm a bit worried.

Reply 28481 of 52680, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Your trip sounds way more exciting than my trip to the Windy City. Looking forward to your progress on this.

It was a fun road trip, apart from the couple times we almost hit the ditch. You know it's bad when the car starts to drift and all conversation stops and everyone is dead silent while letting off the gas and slowly nudging it back into the lane. It was also fun to ride a ferry to cross a lake to get to the seller. 😀 Then nerding with a couple friends over beers in the hotel room while poking at the computer. I didn't bring any tools or cables, but we found that the hotel television used the same power cable, which was honestly surprising.

I popped off both side panels, which both had slight signs of someone having removed before (a couple light gouges around the holes where the clips are and then one of the interior shields missing three screws and where there should be torx screws, everything was replaced with flathead screws). I've not dug any deeper than that.

Honestly, my next big project is still the Pentium Pro stuff. This just came up because I saw it for sale for dirt cheap and even with the seller not knowing if it still worked, it was worth it for the cost and how cheap the road trip was. (The cost was so low that even if I _knew_ it didn't work, I'd still have likely bought it.) In the end, the friends that came with chipped in enough for fuel and for the hotel room that the entire thing, including the computer itself, was less than what just the hotel would have cost on my own. So pretty reasonable. 😀

Reply 28482 of 52680, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thallanor wrote:

I popped off both side panels, which both had slight signs of someone having removed before (a couple light gouges around the holes where the clips are and then one of the interior shields missing three screws and where there should be torx screws, everything was replaced with flathead screws). I've not dug any deeper than that.

My least favorite thing to do is pop off clipped on plastic covers from vintage machines. The NEC Powermate Portable APC IV and a couple of VIC-20s come to mind. Plastics become brittle and on the NEC the keyboard needed some caps replaced, but some of the clips holding the keyboard together snapped right off even though I was extra careful. Luckily there were also screws that held everything solid in place without all the clips intact. The VIC-20s and early C64 models tend to lose their plastic screw threads when you first unscrew them from the mounting poles of the case due to being brittle. Then you have the opposite, a Kaypro 4/83 I cleaned up which had all metal parts and was built like a tank. One of the more enjoyable systems I've worked on.

Reply 28483 of 52680, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
meljor wrote:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Nothing wrong with having some luck 😎

[...]

On the other hand Asus boards are the ones I collect and use the most in my builds but none of my s7 and ss7 Asus boards boot with a tillamook with working cache, even after the mod.
So it wouldbe awesome to have that board and even greater if that one does work with a Tillamook with working L2 (with or without mod).

Some luck, yes, but not all of it. The board works (despite the PSU in the system it was in dying after three boots...), booting happily into Win98SE with the K6/266. No such luck with the Tillamook though, complete 00 on POST card.

Can't be sure who's to blame here, as I've never tested this Tillamook before now, so can't be certain it works at all... will have to look at what it does in say a P5A to know what this 00 means.

Tillamook will not post on a p5a or p5a-b, not even a Modded cpu works. Ga-5aa en Ga-5ax gigabyte boards do work so maybe you have one of those to check the cpu (working L2 only with a modded cpu on these boards). Or a mvp3 based board as most of these do at least post with a Tillamook...

But a working board is good enough, Tillamook compatibility would just be a bonus.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 28484 of 52680, by Foambox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arctic wrote:

if you are talking about the voodoo magazines, could someone please upload them as a pdf? Or could you send me a copy too? I am searching for over 10 years nlw and couldnt even find an ebook yet

thank you 😀

Haha yep those 😀 If I get ahold of them I'll def scan in for the archives at Retromags

That and the elusive Edge Magazine #0

Reply 28485 of 52680, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

My least favorite thing to do is pop off clipped on plastic covers from vintage machines. The NEC Powermate Portable APC IV and a couple of VIC-20s come to mind. Plastics become brittle and on the NEC the keyboard needed some caps replaced, but some of the clips holding the keyboard together snapped right off even though I was extra careful.

That is what I was concerned about too. Fortunately, the Compaq has enough give that I was able to actually just use my hands to push the plastic in a little bit to pop the clips and then it lifted off. If it became any more difficult, I had to seriously weigh the pros and cons of the various means to open it up without breaking it. My old Tandy was more difficult to get into and I was expecting clips to break. Fortunately, none did.

Reply 28486 of 52680, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this 5V -> 3.3V voltage adaptor.

Finally I can install a DX4-100 in my favourite 5V-only 486 motherboard. The BIOS reports it as DX-50, but works fine.

DSC_7561.jpg
Filename
DSC_7561.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 28487 of 52680, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mpe wrote:

Finally I can install a DX4-100 in my favourite 5V-only 486 motherboard. The BIOS reports it as DX-50, but works fine.

DSC_7561.jpg

Where did you find that ?

Reply 28488 of 52680, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote:

DSC_7561.jpg

The alternative is to buy an Intel Overdrive CPU http://www.cpu-collection.de/?tn=0&l0=co&l1=I … =i486+OverDrive

Reply 28489 of 52680, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:
mpe wrote:

DSC_7561.jpg

The alternative is to buy an Intel Overdrive CPU http://www.cpu-collection.de/?tn=0&l0=co&l1=I … =i486+OverDrive

Or an AMD or Cyrix 5x86 that are meant to work in both 5v only and newer 486 motherboards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28490 of 52680, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

got it cheap from a local seller with a free DX4 that was actually dead.

I know about overdrives. I actually own a DX4ODPR75. The beauty of this is that it can convert a range of 3.3-3.45V CPUs, incl. potentially AMD DX4-120 or 5x86 P75 or DX2 variants with WB cache.

The fastest dual-voltage AMD chip is DX2-80 as far as I know.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 28491 of 52680, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

[...]

Tillamook will not post on a p5a or p5a-b, not even a Modded cpu works. Ga-5aa en Ga-5ax gigabyte boards do work so maybe you have one of those to check the cpu (working L2 only with a modded cpu on these boards). Or a mvp3 based board as most of these do at least post with a Tillamook...

But a working board is good enough, Tillamook compatibility would just be a bonus.

I'm a bit new to the Tillamook stuff, bought one but never looked into it. Indeed it doesn't POST on my P5A, but it does on an MSI MS-5158 (i430TX) board. Not correctly identified of course, but definitely working (without L2). I did need to raise VCore to 2.2V for that, at 2.0V it hung half way through POST (according to the legend on the CPU it wants 1.9V...).

So the CPU works which means the SP98AGP-X is the weakest link, it certainly doesn't boot an unmodded Tillamook. I'll play around with the K6-3+ on it, when I bore of that I'll message you 😉

Edit: reading up a bit on Tillamook, I see why SiS is interesting. I have a SiS 530-based board here too, will see what that does too when I have time.

Reply 28492 of 52680, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote:

DSC_7561.jpg

I have the same one.
Note that AMD 486 DX4 SV8B and AMD 486 DX4 NV8T use different jumpers to set their multiplier.

I use it in a 50 MHz EISA board with a 5x86 133 @ 50x3 and L1 at write through.

Reply 28493 of 52680, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
mpe wrote:

DSC_7561.jpg

Or an AMD or Cyrix 5x86 that are meant to work in both 5v only and newer 486 motherboards.

So I have some NOS 486 motherboards that only support 5v.
So I have some 50mhz Intel 486 CPU’s
But it would be nice if I could go faster at least 66mhz. Or 100mhz.

What CPU alternatives are there available ?
Can you list the best performance options ?

Reply 28494 of 52680, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another fine specimen...... GeForce2 Ultra 64mb(DELL)

Attachments

• 101_3093.JPG
    Filename
    101_3093.JPG
    File size
    460.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 101_3082.JPG
    Filename
    101_3082.JPG
    File size
    496.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dell gf2 ultra 64mb.jpg
    Filename
    dell gf2 ultra 64mb.jpg
    File size
    230.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 28495 of 52680, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
So I have some NOS 486 motherboards that only support 5v. So I have some 50mhz Intel 486 CPU’s But it would be nice if I could g […]
Show full quote

So I have some NOS 486 motherboards that only support 5v.
So I have some 50mhz Intel 486 CPU’s
But it would be nice if I could go faster at least 66mhz. Or 100mhz.

What CPU alternatives are there available ?
Can you list the best performance options ?

We are hijacking the thread a bit IMHO. Perhaps start a new topic? But briefly:

Basically, without using a converter such as the one above, you can have:
- all desktop Intel & AMD 486 cpu's up to DX-2 66 MHz with exception of AMD WB Enhanced DX2-66 and some mobile variants
- DX4 overdrives (75 MHz & 100 MHz)
- AMD DX2-80 or Cyrix DX2-80 is most likely the fastest non-overdrive 486 CPU to support 5V.
+ potentially some Cyrix chips and its derivatives (IBM, SGS, TI). I am not that familiar with them and often there are some issues.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 28496 of 52680, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

more items found in my boxes with old stuff, this is going to be part of my pentium 200mmx build... I hope it fits the time...

btw - is this genuine or any fake version / clone of real voodoo? i am confused there is no nice logos of voodoo etc...

Attachments

• IMG_2730.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2730.JPG
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 28497 of 52680, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had promised myself to not buy more Slot-1 stuff, I was actually selling some of mine off, but I could not pass up on a Slot-1 mATX with onboard Matrox G200 and Crystal CS4280, even if it was an HP OEM board.

HP-Sherwood-B.jpg Intel-Pentium-III-500.jpg

Also, my Adlib clone PCB and 2x16MB FPM-30 RAM for my AWE32 are finally in my hands:

Tubetime-Adlib-PCB.jpg 2x16-MB-FPM-30.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28498 of 52680, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just received this old beast :

ST412.png
Filename
ST412.png
File size
845.96 KiB
Views
File license

I tested that Seagate ST412 with a 486 and my original 5160 MFM controller and it works flawlessly (not even a single bad sector found !) Very cool 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28499 of 52680, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice! where did you find this relic?

I stumbled upon a WD 8-bit MFM controller card the other day in my pool of parts, and I thought I could use it do drive my Kalok MFM HDD in my XT. But no luck, I guess it will only work with these ST-412 drives or similar...

Hard Disk Sounds