VOGONS

First post, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I'm owner of the GOG version of the 1995 fps game Killing Time. Until a few days I had problems with some ingame cutscenes not working correctly. An error message would popup when the game tried to play one of those ghost ingame cutscenes. I tested the game now with dgVoodoo 2.55.4 and it magically fixed this ingame cutscene problem. They all work fine now. The game itself works fine too. :)
However, a different problem that was not there before suddenly appeared. The intro and ending video files are looking totally broken now when dgVoodoo is being used.

Here is an example of how the intro does look when I use dgVoodoo 2.55.4 with the game: https://streamable.com/gmthp

I was talking with GOG support the last few days trying to make the cutscenes work but no luck so far. All videos are AVI files and the codec used for the currently broken videos (KTINTRO.AVI, BADEND.AVI, ENDGAME.AVI, GOODEND.AVI) is called "Cinepak" while the ghost video files (GHOST01.AVI etc.) are using the codec "RLE". Does dgVoodoo have a problem with this "Cinepak" codec? What could I try to fix this problem? Any help with this problem is much appreciated. I attached a screenshot of my dgVoodoo config for Killing Time. The system I'm running the game on is Windows 7 (64 Bit).

Kind regards
Berzerk

Attachments

• killingtimedgvoodoo.png
    Filename
    killingtimedgvoodoo.png
    File size
    94.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    dgVoodoo 2.55.4 config for Killing Time
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So after trying some things I figured out that the D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll are causing the trouble with the cutscenes. If I remove these dll files they work normal again but then ingame the ghost cutscenes are not working here and there (an error message wil pop up). Leaving them inside the games folder fixes the ingame stuff but breaks the intro and ending cutscenes. This is really a mystery I think I can't solve without any help. So please if you can help me.

Reply 3 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … thread/6a89ebe6

I'm guessing the video playback library calls ICGetDisplayFormat , not sure if that's fixable by dgVoodoo (Directdraw not being what does something wrong) or if there's some workaround that will work with dgVoodoo.

Should work fine in DxWnd with the right settings.

Reply 4 of 6, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

I wish I would know which settings are the correct ones to run the game in 4:3 fullscreen. Unfortunately I've no experience at all with DxWnd. Tried adding a profile and modified it so the correct paths to KILLTIME.EXE where showing but when I click on RUN nothing actually happens. No window does open or whatever. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Reply 5 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Berzerk wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I wish I would know which settings are the correct ones to run the game in 4:3 fullscreen. Unfortunately I've no experience at all with DxWnd. Tried adding a profile and modified it so the correct paths to KILLTIME.EXE where showing but when I click on RUN nothing actually happens. No window does open or whatever. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The correct settings are described in the topic I linked to, but it should launch without any special settings. Have you actually selected the game before clicking Run? If so, double and triple check your path. I would recommend just dragging KILLTIME.EXE to DxWnd's window and dropping it there.

Make sure KILLTIME.EXE isn't set to run as admin in compatibility options.

Reply 6 of 6, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Have you actually selected the game before clicking Run? If so, double and triple check your path. I would recommend just dragging KILLTIME.EXE to DxWnd's window and dropping it there.

Make sure KILLTIME.EXE isn't set to run as admin in compatibility options.

Yes the paths are correct and the game is also not running as admin. I tested some things people mentioned in that topic you linked but the game is still not working. It's starting now but all I have is a black window and the sound that would play before the intro cutscene would start. After that sound is done that black window just automatically closes itself and that's it. Man getting this mess of a game to work 100% is driving me really crazy.

EDIT 06/02/2019: I finally was able to make the game run through DxWnd and guess what ... EVERYTHING works now. All cutscenes work as intended and no error messages appeared anymore. 😀 The problem with the game crashing after the Killing Time logo was caused by not having set "run in window" to active.