VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent news!! Since it is the headphone jack it should just be a matter of desoldering the old one and installing a new one and your good to go.

Reply 21 of 24, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now I'll just have to try to find a jack that is identical to this one.

I've added pictures of it to the album I linked to earlier. In the second to last pic in that album, the headphone jack is the one on the left. The middle is the mic, the right is the subwoofer.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22 of 24, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any chance that these are the same? It looks like there are two more pins across the middle compared to the ones I have here. I wonder if they were just unused\removed? I'll have to desolder the bad one to find out I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Headphone-Stere … r/dp/B00FZSTBWA

Reply 23 of 24, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like it could work. I had a thought if you can't find a suitable replacement you can wire in a switch to select ether the speakers or headphones

Reply 24 of 24, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought the "uxcell 30 Pcs 11 Pin Headphone Stereo 3.5mm Female Jack PCB Panel Connector" item mentioned earlier from the same seller but on Newegg and it arrived today. I happened to have a tiny bit of spare time so I desoldered the old jack, soldered the new one and it seems to work!

The only modification I had to make was to clip off the two center legs from the new jack since the old one just had the outer legs (the spaces for the inner ones were empty). I'm not sure what they go to, but the center legs are connected to the outer legs (in pairs, left and right most likely) so no functionality was lost.

I'm happy though. They look pretty much the same, just a slightly thinner metal ring around the jack.

I'm glad this was fixable without a full recap or some other extensive repair. 😀