VOGONS

First post, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Someone already try to make is own 7 segments turbo led ?

Reply 2 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Search Vogons.... Bits and pieces around...

MHz display panel circuity ???
Making own MHz LED panel with turbo button

And there is more I am sure of. Just google vogons and your topic

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 14, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a guy on here who made one.. I forget what topic -- anyway, it was a fully custom baby-AT build that was smaller than a mini-ITX rig. Custom case and all. It had a home-made MHz display.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 14, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your respons but I'm looking for a DIY PCB of turbo led display.

Actually, It's very difficult to fnd a turbo led display and I would like to make my own turbo led display.

It would be interesting to create this and share it with the vogons community.

Reply 5 of 14, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Search Vogons.... Bits and pieces around... […]
Show full quote

Search Vogons.... Bits and pieces around...

MHz display panel circuity ???
Making own MHz LED panel with turbo button

And there is more I am sure of. Just google vogons and your topic

Thanks for your respons but I'm looking for a DIY PCB of turbo led display.

Actually, It's very difficult to fnd a turbo led display and I would like to make my own turbo led display.

It would be interesting to create this and share it with the vogons community.

Reply 6 of 14, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

going by the pictures in this thread it doesn't look complex at all, 1 buffer chip, few resistors alot of pins and traces. But I don't know how compatible the led display you can get on ebay or ali is.
Its something id be interested to recreate too but seems very time consuming to build from 0

Desperate help from some1 that Knows a lot about old MHZ displays in PC Cases ?

Reply 7 of 14, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
treeman wrote:

going by the pictures in this thread it doesn't look complex at all, 1 buffer chip, few resistors alot of pins and traces. But I don't know how compatible the led display you can get on ebay or ali is.
Its something id be interested to recreate too but seems very time consuming to build from 0

Desperate help from some1 that Knows a lot about old MHZ displays in PC Cases ?

Yes the led display are very different with the old display. Now there are fewer pin. (Before 18 pin, now 10 pin)

Reply 9 of 14, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK Arduino can be made into frequency counter good even up to 100Mhz (here is the code for one working with frequencies upto 64MHz: https://github.com/abdallah-ali-abdallah/Ardu … ounter-with-LCD). So instead of putting an effort into doing it the classic way - I would do universal frequency counter and hook it up to CPU or oscillator directly.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure if you can really measure the CPU's speed unless you make some kind of expansion card that would read the FSB AND the CPUID (because I don't think you can simply measure the DX2 or DX4's speed)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 14, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I'm not sure if you can really measure the CPU's speed unless you make some kind of expansion card that would read the FSB AND the CPUID (because I don't think you can simply measure the DX2 or DX4's speed)

Well… CPUs for a long time had some sort of internal frequency dividers/multipliers so it's pretty obvious you would have to somehow enter these values into such frequency counter… I guess some sort of basic util that would read it and pass the value over serial port to arduino during startup would be a 'dirty' work around.

Another simple (and lazy) solution would be Arduino hooked up to turbo button and segment display - with pre-programmed values displayed…

Truth is this segment display is pretty much next to useless (I'm pretty much sure everybody knows what speed the CPU in their computer is and if 'Turbo' is engaged or not - and if not, the segment display on a case is the last place where you should look for such information). My thinking is - why not turn it into something more sophisticated and useful… With two 7 segment displays you can get alot of information from the machine (POST codes, temperature readouts, voltages and so on)...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 14 of 14, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always snatch up little MHz displays on ebay that are inexpensive. I love 'em. Something about the switching of the turbo button from 8MHz to whatever (16, 33, 40, 60Mhz, etc) gives me goosebumps. Yes, I'm seeing a therapist.

Would be interesting to do a DIY one. When i get time....

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/