VOGONS

Common searches

Pc-game Dark Side Of The Moon

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

....JUST A QUESTION...IF YOU DON'T MIND. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF 'DARK SIDE OF THE MOON' WILL PLAY ON WINDOWS XP?? ANY HELP...BY ANYBODY WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...THANKS...dud716@yahoo.com

Reply 3 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Neither will run. Quoting from a review on Amazon.com:

I called tech support and they said the game was discontinued by Southpeak and they could not help me. I called Southpeak and they apologized, but they said it's been discontinued for years and there was nothing they could do for me. They claim my computer is too fast for the game to work since the game is so old.

I'd like to get it running too, but unless someone writes a hack to fix the woefully inadequate engine, we're all SOL. It's amusing, not to mention terribly ironic, that they'd release a game on modern technology (DVD-ROM) when most companies still release on CD-ROM, and then have the game itself NOT WORK because it's running on too fast a computer.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ouch, that hurt. What is this world coming to when you can't get the old stuff to work with the new crap that their pumping out!! I asked around, and I received several responses ranging from: yeah, it'll play, to no it won't ,....I even received a maybe. Looks like I'll have to try my luck, as I just placed an order for the game. Yo, I'll let you know what happens when I receive the game. Keep your ears on, I'll get back to you in few weeks. Thanks for the info, dud716😕 😮

Reply 6 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht,...... Dunka Schein, Darlin', Dunka Schein.......I digress. Thanks for more additional info on DSOM. One thing that I don't understand is, why do people sell/trade games that can not be played, even on WIN 98 systems. I personally think it's lame, but hey, there's one in every crowd. What Bogosity!!!! Well, all I can do is wait until I get the game, and then give it a try. If I get burned, I'll let you know. I'll certainly drop a dime!!! Yo, to all the VOGONS folks, THANKS ALOT for givin' a damn. Your input into my sitch is greatly appreciated. Later, folks. ...But I'll be back!!!! dud716:mad:

Reply 7 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dud716 wrote:

One thing that I don't understand is, why do people sell/trade games that can not be played, even on WIN 98 systems.

It might work fine on his system. The whole reason the board was started was because of issues like this. Most companies/programmers don't expect you to be playing games that are more than five years old, so long-term support is left in mostly in the hands of "old-game" fans.

Reply 8 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Roger that, Nicht.
Funny thing though....I fired up MYST the other day...you know...for old times sake....and I had no problem. It's been awhile since I played it, and besides, I was bored. I can't believe the simplicity of the game compared to the newer games. Take for example, SCHIZM, this game is incredible compared to MYST. I guess I'm out of the loop, so to say, when it comes to the advancements in game tech.
Yo, Nicht, what do you recommend for a good adventure? Anything similar to RIVEN, MYST III, etc. , out there that I should check out? i'm Jonesin'. dud716

Reply 9 of 66, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dud716 wrote:

I fired up MYST the other day...you know...for old times sake....and I had no problem.

You never can tell. It almost seems like compatibility is a random thing. There are action/arcade games written in the mid-1980's that still run properly on modern PC's (due to the programmer thinking ahead), then there are games just a few years old that are absolute pigs and don't want to run on anything other than the type of PC on which they were programmed.

I have some DVD games that won't work properly on my system because they written with only dedicated MPEG2 video cards in mind. They won't work with modern video cards that already have MPEG2 support already built into them.

Yo, Nicht, what do you recommend for a good adventure?

Heh. I'm probably the last guy to ask. Never seem to have any time anymore. Last time I was playing "for real" was Ultima 5. I had a disaster where my save files were hosed and I've yet to really dive back in since then.

Having said that, I recently played around with "Dracula Unleashed" and found it interesting.

Anything similar to RIVEN, MYST III, etc. , out there that I should check out?

The real people to check with would be "Just Adventure".
http://www.justadventure.com/

Reply 10 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NICHT,.......Thanks a bunch. Your replies have been very informative. Presently, I'm waiting on a reply from another source. He/she has an ATHLON 4 proc. with WIN XP PRO, and told me to hold for a bit. They have DSOM, still in the shrink wrap, and they are going to attempt to install/play the game. They should get back to me later today. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear.
Just Adventure is a pretty good site for gp info., you may want to check out: Adventure Gamers and gamesover.com....they also porvide info on adventure games.
Meanwhile...keep your ears on...when I find out about DSOM, I'll get back to you.

Last edited by dud716 on 2002-11-28, 19:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just for everyone's information, I've got both the CD-ROM *and* DVD-ROM versions of the game, and neither will work because of said processor speed issue.
Also, there was a re-release of Myst for Win32 that works fine, but the original Win16 version WILL crap out on you if you're running anything higher than Win3.11. In any case, when you get a new computer, I totally recommend realMYST. It's absolutely SPECTACULAR.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, SNOVER...Correct me if I'm wrong..I've been told that REAL MYST won't play on WIN XP....am I correct in this assumption? ....I'm clueless as to WIN 32 and WIN 3.1.....what the *&^* are you talking about? thanks, dud716

Reply 13 of 66, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He's referring to the original Myst that first came out for Windows 3.1. Supposedly this version does not work well under 2K/XP. (Don't have it so haven't tested it for myself).

The version of Myst for Windows 95 works fine on 2K/XP.
As well as the CD/DVD version of Riven and Myst 3 Exile.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 66, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's not what I said, and anything you've heard about realMYST not working on XP is bullshit. There are some problems with certain video cards/configurations in the library, but I imagine those have been resolved by now.

FYI:
Win32 = Windows 4+ = Windows 95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP
Win16 = Windows 3 = Windows 3,3.1,3.11

The Win16 version won't even run correctly on Win95/98/ME systems. Trust me on that one. I've tried.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 66, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SNOVER, Thanks for clearing up the WIN 32..WIN 3.11 thing for me. I'm clueless when it comes to tech. I'm just your typical user who points and clicks. Hell, I can't even type worth a heap.

So, real MYST you say.......huh....tell me, is it the same as MYST but with enhanced graphics and sound, or is there more to it? I'm a MYST fan from way back......that's probably why I'm such a fan of the series. SCHIZM is another good one out there, however, some of the puzzles are really tough. I spent weeks trying to figure out the little houses puzzle (after you cross the bridge). rumor has it, there'll soon be a MYST IV , and SCHIZM 2. Have you heard anything?

Reply 17 of 66, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dud716 wrote:

SNOVER, Thanks for clearing up the WIN 32..WIN 3.11 thing for me. I'm clueless when it comes to tech. I'm just your typical user who points and clicks. Hell, I can't even type worth a heap.

So, real MYST you say.......huh....tell me, is it the same as MYST but with enhanced graphics and sound, or is there more to it? I'm a MYST fan from way back......that's probably why I'm such a fan of the series. SCHIZM is another good one out there, however, some of the puzzles are really tough. I spent weeks trying to figure out the little houses puzzle (after you cross the bridge). rumor has it, there'll soon be a MYST IV , and SCHIZM 2. Have you heard anything?

I'm not Colin, but I never heard of SCHIZM.

I'm a closet fan of MYST from way back too. Even own the paperback books. 😉

realMYST (one word) is a realtime 3D remake of MYST, unlike the static slideshow that MYST was (if you took away the video, hehe.)

See here: http://www.realmyst.com/

Now, back on topic:
There's a thread floating on VOGONS (showthread.php?threadid=84) where I mention where Microsoft lists what DVD-ROM games won't work in Windows 2000/XP, and also where one company (Digital Leisure) has sorted some of the issues with their own games.

I think eventually some of the DVD-ROM MCI issues will be worked around. Perhaps it's another good project for SaPu, I don't know.

As far as the "speed" issues - I find it rather unlikely that it hasn't been worked around in another program. The problem is determining what the problem is. If it's truly a speed problem, it might be fixed by CTTBPPAT or something. Don't go running off to try anything, dud716 - I'm looking for more feedback from Colin.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto