VOGONS

First post, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I tried to launch Moto Racer with DGVoodoo2.
But when I launched it I have the error message: "Moto Racer needs 16 bits screen mode".
Is it possible to force 16 bits screen mode for a game with DGVoodoo?
Thank you for your help.

Reply 3 of 17, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try Windows compatibility settings? On Windows 10 the option is called Reduced Color Mode.

You can select 8 or 16 bit but on Windows 7 and prior it might only be 8 bit IIRC. The Compatibility Toolkit could possibly help in this case.

Reply 4 of 17, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I play games on Linux with Wine, I can not do that and dgVoodoo2 does not have this feature. I finally found another wrapper that can simulate a 16b desktop for the game and it is compatible with Linux Wine: DxWnd. I wrote Lutris script for people to install this games and others easier, you could consult my scripts list here:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php?modul … _id=3867&page=1
Some of them use dgVoodoo2.

Reply 5 of 17, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right-click the shortcut for the game, click Compatibility and choose Reduced clour mode: 16bit.

Personally though, I use a ripped version of the GOG release, where they fixed a great deal. I actually bought the Moto Racer Collection pack from anuman.fr, who had the official license at that time, but it was heavily bugged. From reading the Steam comments, that version isn't as fixed as GOG's either!

However if you have the original CD version, then that's probably okay!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 6 of 17, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Right-click the shortcut for the game, click Compatibility and choose Reduced clour mode: 16bit.

OP mentioned Linux+Wine 😀

I wonder where did the "I need desktop at X bit depth" come from? Afair even some fullscreen games required specific 8/16 bit depth. This seems crazy.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 17, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tested the last WIP dgVoodoo2 version, changed this option:
DesktopBitDepth = 16
launched Moto Racer, I still have this message:"16 bit screen mode required!".
Someone tested this new dgVoodoo2 feature and obtained better result with this game??

Reply 9 of 17, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game may query the screen bit depth not through ddraw (so that, dgVoodoo) but plain GDI API which is unaffected by dgVoodoo.

I wanted to write to set 'Reduced colors' to 16bit in the compatibility options for the game which works nicely on win10 but as I can see you run the game on linux(?).
I think it were less complicated to patch the game by cutting out the part checking for the color bit depth.

Reply 10 of 17, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game is currently on sale for ~1€ on GOG so I took a look at the exe. It uses GDI to access the desktop resolution but I couldn't find anything for the color depth there.

So I downloaded the newest WIP and was able to get into the game just fine (should probably have tried that first 🤣 ), but there are a lot of glitches and Direct3D mode doesn't work. The 16 bit error message shows up after exiting the game though.

Reply 12 of 17, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experiences with this game (not the GOG version):

Launch the game with the following parameters:

moto.exe -d3d -TextureVideoMem268435456 -zbuffer -frameratemax=60 -CorrectRatioTextures

- If desktop bitdepth is not 16 then the game just silently crashes at startup (I guess it wants to invoke some error dialog but my installation is somewhat corrupt and no resource strings are found)
- If I set DesktopBitDepth to 16 in dgVoodoo.conf then the game starts but pops up the '16 bit needed' error dialog while entering the game menu (probably queried through GDI)
- If I also set 16 bit display mode amongst app compat options then it works (this option is enough in itself, no need to set in dgvoodoo.conf too)

- One additional problem: you need to use a virtual card that has NO paletted texture support (ATI, Matrox) otherwise no D3D mode is available in ingame race

Reply 13 of 17, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a game launcher included that already applies most of these parameters.

Direct3d works after selecting a different videocard but the game looks even more broken than before, the 3D screen is almost completely white. However this can be fixed for some reason by switching to 16/9 mode. Then only the distant background is a white wall, similar to software mode. The 3D model of the bike within the menus is still mostly white.

The DesktopBitDepth setting is enough to bypass the error message for me, though it shows up on exit. Maybe the GOG staff made some changes.

There's no message at all when using Reduced Color mode.

Reply 14 of 17, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Moto Racer 1 works fine with dgVoodoo2 on my PC (GoG-version).

I'm using dgVoodoo 2.52 on Moto Racer 1, on dgVoodooSetup file under DirectX, ATI Radeon 8500 as video card, VRAM 128mb, I personally use 1280x960@60hz resolution (I have a 1080p monitor), AntiAliasing 8x. Under the General Tab in dgVoodooSetup under Appearance I have Selected Full Screen and Enumerate Refresh Rate.

I start Moto Racer 1 by launching MotoRacerLauncher.exe. Z-Buffer and DirectX 3D are on, and No Alpha Blending and Manual Settings off. Thereby I press the "3. 2. 1. GO!" button on the bottom to successfully launch the game on Windows 10 64 bit.

I don't have any compatibility options selected in Windows 10 on any of the *.exe files in the Moto Racer 1 folder.

If I click on the Manual Settings in MotoRacerLauncher.exe, This text is displayed: -DoRealLock -OpaqueBlackLevel3 -TextureSquareOnly -Pal16 -CorrectRatioTextures -NoDither -TextureVideoMem268435456 -FrameRateMax59

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 15 of 17, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, 2.52 works flawlessly.

Tried switching to "D3DCompiler only" in WIP60_1 but it didn't help.

Edit:

I don't have any compatibility options selected in Windows 10 on any of the *.exe files in the Moto Racer 1 folder.

Doesn't launch for me without 16 bit compat mode.

Reply 16 of 17, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whatever the version or renderer mode you use, do you obtain better results than the joined captures screen?

D3D mode filter on

Attachments