First post, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so I recently bought a nice dual pentium pro setup off ebay

s-l1600.jpg

and I got it to power on using this power supply

s-l300.jpg

and I have this case for it (will require once cut to fit, but should work out very well)

11-147-226-V10.jpg

The problem I have right now... I have two sticks of 8mm IBM 168pin edo memory and when I power on I get two short beeps. I think this is a memory parity error. any ideas? I think I'm off to ebay to buy some memory.

btw, yes I am video taping the build

Reply 4 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

henlo!

I'm happy to see that case work out! Also the memory should be 60ns edo. Something like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/151421400795

Check the wiring on the fans! I don't know if they have been changed or not. the motherboard is a standard header iirc.

The pin to start the board is inside the 20-pin header on the front (ish) of the motherboard next to the IDE. I dont remember exactly which one, but iirc its near the middle and on the side farthest from the cpus.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 74, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to clarify:

JP31 will power on the board and those ALR fans will work with no rewiring needed. Let us know how the memory works out as I used standard EDO RAM with that model and it worked fine. The one thing to remember is to go into the BIOS and make sure you disable the ECC/parity option or you will see a tremendous performance hit while using non-ECC or non-parity EDO RAM with that option enabled. I'll try to get a photo up of the BIOS option I am speaking about when I get chance.

Reply 6 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

The one thing to remember is to go into the BIOS and make sure you disable the ECC/parity option or you will see a tremendous performance hit while using non-ECC or non-parity EDO RAM with that option enabled.

its only 10% ish. Also the ecc/parity will only turn on if that type of memory is installed. So keep to simms with chips divisible by 8, and you should never need to worry about it.

Last edited by luckybob on 2019-05-19, 05:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 74, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
liqmat wrote:

The one thing to remember is to go into the BIOS and make sure you disable the ECC/parity option or you will see a tremendous performance hit while using non-ECC or non-parity EDO RAM with that option enabled.

its only 10% ish. Also the ecc/parity will only turn on if that type of memory is installed. So keep to simms with chips divisible by 8, and you should never need to worry about it.

Not in my experience. When I installed EDO RAM the ECC option was enabled and the performance was terrible until I manually turned it off in the BIOS. So Electrohacker please take my advice and double check the memory settings in the BIOS first thing once you get it up and running.

Last edited by liqmat on 2019-05-20, 09:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 74, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had to test another one of these boards for someone so I went ahead and took some photos for you. Turns out Luckybob and I are both right in certain areas and I think I know why he had a different experience than I did. It appears to be dependent on the brand memory you use. I tried two sticks of non-parity 72-pin EDO from one manufacturer and there was no performance hit with the "parity" option enabled or disabled in BIOS yet two sticks from another manufacturer and it took a considerable performance hit. If ECC was chosen with the same memory it would not even get past the post summary screen. I do want to figure out why the various EDO memory have such different outcomes in behavior. I did confirm the board does default to ECC without a battery regardless of what kind of memory you have installed so you will want to check your BIOS setting.

Advanced Chipset.jpg
Filename
Advanced Chipset.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ECC Enabled.jpg
Filename
ECC Enabled.jpg
File size
735.67 KiB
Views
File license
Integrity Mode Disabled.jpg
Filename
Integrity Mode Disabled.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2019-05-20, 09:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did get it mounted in the case though

60602898_10101124361642117_1844848827710832640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnndG25ATfqNOKyJDgmIrMBB_76GvJpdyVmvGItzmTo0WbNcnpmWCymR7s3JMkwnpY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdtw1-1.fna&oh=75322ddd8430a2c7cc7427a5aa0ee45d&oe=5D9CB8E6

here's the cut I had to make, this case will no longer take a top mounted radiator

60669239_10101124361721957_6440367197666672640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQkcQ-jkqs5I8SamzjAv9YRiiBRRdqVvf4TRklu45wTC3F8gCaK94wa6Zr3SgtroRKU&_nc_ht=scontent.fdtw1-1.fna&oh=81e81075af0ba393886adf6998766e9c&oe=5D6FCB59

and yes this being a fancy case with a window side I will be improving the cable management as soon as I get some extensions

Reply 12 of 74, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Electrohacker wrote:

I cant even get that far. my display blinks on and off and I only get two beeps then nothing. I wont know more until next weekend when I have more memory

Well, look forward to the update. I tested the board thoroughly before I shipped so I know it works flawlessly.

I would try the board out of the case and with only one CPU in the primary slot and just a video card. Start simple and go from there. Did you test it outside of the case first with just a video card?

Reply 15 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's an aux power connector. It's not required.

It's actually the same as the AMD aux power supply, just a different connector.

Reply 17 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't take the time to record what pins were what voltage. But If I was making a new adapter, I'd find a way to convert the 4pin aux power from the main connector to a 6-pin version.

I'd take a multi-meter, power the board, and see what pins were at what voltage and go from there. 3 are going to be ground, 2 are 5v and one is a 3.3v

Unless you were planning on a bunch of high-power pci cards you aren't going to need it.

Reply 18 of 74, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ha, thought the hardware looked familiar, having the 2 that saved it all helping out confirms my suspicions 😀
Took me a few seconds to see the case mod, the black and being in the top hides it well.
Wanted a nice big window case for my build as it's defiantly sexy but struggling with space as it is 🙁

Reply 19 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a hard time finding a case with a power supply on its side which would have been more ideal, but then I came across this case which boasted that you could mount TWO POWER SUPPLIES! The dimension sheet says the top PSU mount is about 40mm taller than the bottom which helps. It really only needs like 1/8" to fit luckily you can cut out the radiator mount and not hurt the rigidity of the case and it has a nice big plastic top to it to cover it.

The giant 92mm fans are just overkill...
My only real complaint is lack of front mount bays and hard drive bays, but it does have enough to fit a floppy emulator and a DVD rom / Cd burner which I will need as this machine will be used to store all my DVD's as a home media server until I can afford a nice 32TB nas. I added a PCI sata card so I can use more modern hard drives, but I guess I'll find out the hard way what size limits the hardware / windows 2000 will have. I also went to a ISA sound card as I had them and all the PCI slots will be full once I add a USB card. Also sound will not be used much as it's server, but why not add hardware I have in my collection?

The case didnt have a PC speaker... good think I had one from some old case to use for debug