VOGONS

First post, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

Another nice patch has made it to CVS, Moe's lock-free mouse! It looks like it is working quite nicely, very handy and feels much more comfortable than without.
I've one question though, upon exiting a game that's been using the lock-free mouse (autolock=false) the mouse is hidden when moved over dosbox' window. Is that by design? Because initially (before starting a game), the os' cursor _is_ shown when hovering over the main window?!

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 2 of 16, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A related question, is it normal that the mouse doesn't work when booting to a real copy of DOS through imgmount and boot?

I tried adding in a real DOS mouse driver, result: now the mouse "works" but in a really erratic way.

tearex

Reply 4 of 16, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mirekluza wrote:

How erratic?

I tried MS mouse.com version 9.01. The mouse pointer keeps jumping all over the place, and the mouse buttons usually don't respond at all.

Does dosbox emulate mouse hardware at all, or only the (int 33 I believe) mouse driver interface?

mirekluza wrote:

Also try another driver...

Will try when I find some. I could test CuteMouse. Don't have any others though.

tearex

Reply 5 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

rcblanke:

It think it will be difficult to return the cursor as we can't really detect when an application is finished using the mouse.
I could hide it on startup if the consistency would be appriciated.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 16, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nahh.. thank you, leave it as it is, I just noticed 0.63's behaviour is similar (using ctrl-F10) and I cannot remember there being lots of complaints about it. Let's keep focus on the broken games (thread).

Reply 8 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Does dosbox emulate mouse hardware at all, or only the (int 33 I
> believe) mouse driver interface?

The ps2 interface is working up to the interrupt level, but loading
different mouse drivers isn't really supported (depends on the driver).

Reply 9 of 16, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
`Moe` wrote:

Just so I can say a word about it, too: What Qbix says. 😀

While I agree on the consistency argument, I can imagine users not being too fond of searching for a (hidden) mouse cusor on the screen. It makes exiting dosbox using the windows upper-right close button rather tricky when too lazy to type exit. Just my 2 cents fellows.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 10 of 16, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the mouse cursor could be reactivated when the DOS shell is running. This is not perfect, since TSRs could use the mouse, but I think it's a reasonable compromise.

Reply 13 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chalk this up as the thread-of-the-week in which I didn't read the beginning of the thread before replying 😉

Is there a way to hook it up so that the host OS cursor is always shown whenever the emulated one is in a hidden/invisible state?

Reply 14 of 16, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Is there a way to hook it up so that the host OS cursor is always shown whenever the emulated one is in a hidden/invisible state?

That could be confusing in fullscreen mode. it's a good idea, but IMHO only in windowed mode.

tearex

Reply 15 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that way is there. but I don't see that much use.
a game can for example hide the mouse cursor and decide to draw it's own.
It's fine the way it's now. I'll not change it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TeaRex wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

That could be confusing in fullscreen mode. it's a good idea, but IMHO only in windowed mode.

I don't see why you'd *ever* want to show the OS cursor in full-screen mode.

Qbix: I have no complaints. I always have the mouse locked to DOSBox myself 😀