VOGONS

Test suite for Win32s/WinG?

Topic actions

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are there any test programs or test suite for win32s? Since win32s is crashing my emulator in one case(Pink Panther in Hocus Pocus Pink), using the menu bar.

Last edited by superfury on 2019-05-31, 22:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 27, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you mean by saying "test suite"?

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 2 of 27, by mcj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When installing Win32s, you will be asked if you would like to install the Klondike test program along with it to ensure that Win32s is working properly.

I would recommend re-installing Win32s and opting in to install the Klondike test program to verify that all is well.

#win31 forever!

Reply 3 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you mean the Freecell program that it installs immediately after win32s? That seems to work without noticable problems.

I do still see Hocus Pocus Pink hanging trying to use the menu bar, though.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 4 of 27, by mcj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superfury wrote:

Do you mean the Freecell program that it installs immediately after win32s?

My memory is a bit hazy on the subject, but yes you are correct. If that program runs without any issues, then you may want to look into something else in your configuration. I would recommend making sure you also have the latest Win32s 1.30c version as well.

#win31 forever!

Reply 5 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mcj wrote:
superfury wrote:

Do you mean the Freecell program that it installs immediately after win32s?

My memory is a bit hazy on the subject, but yes you are correct. If that program runs without any issues, then you may want to look into something else in your configuration. I would recommend making sure you also have the latest Win32s 1.30c version as well.

It's the win32s version from http://web.mit.edu/cascon/microsoft/win32sins.htm
Edit: As far as I can find, it's 1.30c that's within said installer.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 6 of 27, by mcj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superfury wrote:

As far as I can find, it's 1.30c that's within said installer.

Which emulator are you using, and what video driver and video mode are you running Windows 3.1 in?

#win31 forever!

Reply 7 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Version 1.30 is very demanding. I'd start with 1.25 first - that's what Win-OS/2 used for quite atime..

A few useful links (I hope so):

https://www.os2world.com/oldforum/index.php?topic=1264.0
https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/?s=win32s
https://web.archive.org/web/20181116085936/ht … on-and-reality/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just reinstalled the game(after a fresh install of WFW 3.11, then installing win32s). I don't see the win32s files being copied by the installer of the game. But I do see WinG files being copied. Perhaps the problem lies in those?

Also odd is that after my first try with the software, I noticed that one of the drv files being loaded by Windows on boot, after trying out some other software(Simcity 2000 Special Edition on WFW 3.11), running it, the video software with it(forgot it's name, with the four buttons for different video recordings) and Urban Renewal Kit, then trying to run Cold Shadow(from Disney's Classics video games 2) which hang the computer, then trying to install Calmira(for a Windows 95 effect), having it hang in the middle of the setup procedure(pressing the next button on the GNU License Agreement page) one of Pink Panther's installed drivers seems to have been corrupted(dva.386 to be exact)?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 9 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK. So Win32s should be working fine?

What about WinG? Is there a testsuite for it? Like Hover or something like that?

I now have a fresh WFW 3.11 setup, then installed win32s, then the ET4000 drivers, then the Sound Blaster 2.0 drivers(and MS-DOS 6.22 software part of it too, since they're on the same disks).

Running the software executes the WinG calibration of sorts? It does the same thing when first running a freshly installed Simcity 2000 installation under Windows 3.1x?

1081-WinG first time running.jpg
Filename
1081-WinG first time running.jpg
File size
320.93 KiB
Views
File comment
WinG running for the first time
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: Wikipedia already answered this:

WinG would also perform a graphics hardware/driver profiling test on the first execution of the program in order to determine the best way to draw DIBs. This test showed a window full of red curved lines, sections of which would wobble as performance was tested. Once WinG had determined the fastest calls that did not cause graphics corruption, a profile would be saved so that the test would not need to be performed again.

So that's WinG doing it's performance optimization. 🤣

Edit: Hmmmm.... The game seems to run perfectly now:D No more hangs or crashes anywhere I can find. So what WAS the cause of the disk corruption? The main difference is probably using the proper SB 2.0 drivers instead of the 1.0/1.5 ones?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 10 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
superfury wrote:

What about WinG? Is there a testsuite for it? Like Hover or something like that?

Not really a test suite, but WinG SDK has some samples included. And there's WinG Speed, a simple benchmark. 😀
A few games and emulators also used WinG. Some C64 emulator is among of these (PC64Win ?).

Edit: Creatures for Windows also supports WinG and Win32s, I believe. At least the early release (Win3.1/Win95).
Other games that used WinG were Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seed and King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride.
Also, the Atari 2600 Action Pack (the one that is for Win3.1) and some later version of Comet Busters (Shareware).

Edit: I forgot to mention.. Win32s is very tricky, because it uses heavy thunking and other tricks.
If your emulator can get it running, then it has reached a remarkable level! 😎
Not even MS Virtual PC 2007 can get it going without assistance (Intel VT/AMD-V).

If you like to experiment with Win32s code, you can try some old Visual C++ (4.1 ?, screen shot) or Delphi 2.
Inofficially, there used to be some rumours that Visual Basic 5.0 can be used to create Win32s programs by using some compiler tricks (adding relocation tables).
I also uploaded a simple Win32s program made with Delphi 2 that includes a Manifest resource for Win XP+.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
Not really a test suite, but WinG SDK has some samples included. And there's WinG Speed, a simple benchmark. :) A few games and […]
Show full quote
superfury wrote:

Not really a test suite, but WinG SDK has some samples included. And there's WinG Speed, a simple benchmark. 😀
A few games and emulators also used WinG. Some C64 emulator is among of these (PC64Win ?).

Edit: Creatures for Windows also supports WinG and Win32s, I believe. At least the early release (Win3.1/Win95).
Other games that used WinG were Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seed and King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride.
Also, the Atari 2600 Action Pack (the one that is for Win3.1) and some later version of Comet Busters (Shareware).

Edit: I forgot to mention.. Win32s is very tricky, because it uses heavy thunking and other tricks.
If your emulator can get it running, then it has reached a remarkable level! 😎
Not even MS Virtual PC 2007 can get it going without assistance (Intel VT/AMD-V).

If you like to experiment with Win32s code, you can try some old Visual C++ (4.1 ?, screen shot) or Delphi 2.
Inofficially, there used to be some rumours that Visual Basic 5.0 can be used to create Win32s programs by using some compiler tricks (adding relocation tables).
I also uploaded a simple Win32s program made with Delphi 2 that includes a Manifest resource for Win XP+.

So far tested:
- The win32s sample program. Fully working. 😁
- WinG speed runs fine but slow(2.45FPS)

1082-WinG speed running fine but slow.jpg
Filename
1082-WinG speed running fine but slow.jpg
File size
355.04 KiB
Views
File comment
WinG running fine but slow
File license

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 12 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool. 😎 Congratulations on a job well done! 😁

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just installed PC64win(ran setup.exe from http://cd.textfiles.com/230/EMULATOR/COMMODOR/C64/PC64WIN/ from the directory with all those other files in it as well). Then added a Star Wars demo ( http://www.c64.com/demos/demos_show.php?showid=2329 ) to test it with...

Edit: Ran it without supplying the ROM.. This is what I got:

1083-Win3x PC64win without ROM.jpg
Filename
1083-Win3x PC64win without ROM.jpg
File size
141.22 KiB
Views
File comment
Running the emulator directly without supplying a ROM.
File license

One thing that's actually different in the current configuration is that instead of installing the Windows' own Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5 drivers, I used the 2.0 drivers disk to install the MS-DOS version, and from that one also installed the Windows version(it asks that automatically during the setup frm MS-DOS).

Some other software I tried(Calimera for a Win95 interface on 3.x) seems to hang during the setup GNU agreement page, clicking the next button on that?

Edit: Loaded the first ROM, then it asked me to select something in it's loader menu, and I just pressed Load&Run. Then this happened:

1084-Running the first Star Wars demo half.jpg
Filename
1084-Running the first Star Wars demo half.jpg
File size
421.94 KiB
Views
File comment
Running the first Star Wars demo half.
File license

Edit: Clicking said button for the fault handler(terminate the application) gives me this:

1085-Another fault terminating the application.jpg
Filename
1085-Another fault terminating the application.jpg
File size
409.42 KiB
Views
File comment
Another fault terminating the application, in the Sound Blaster 2.0 driver.
File license

Which clicking gives a stack fault somewhere(can't remember where).
Joystick.c64 doesn't crash, but runs about half(only up arrow recognized(combined with Right Ctrl)?

1088-Joystick.c64 seems to run somewhat.jpg
Filename
1088-Joystick.c64 seems to run somewhat.jpg
File size
195.75 KiB
Views
File comment
Joystick.c64 seems to run somewhat(only up arrow recognized)?
File license

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 14 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, sorry for the trouble. 🙁 It's been a while since I used PC64Win. From what I remember, it uses P00 tape images by default.
There's a utility included that creates them from T64 tape images.. I'll check.

Edit: Found a PC64Win folder on my older backups.
It contains some free sample files, too.

Attachments

• Filename
    pc64win_pack.zip
    File size
    4.63 MiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File comment
    PC64Win and Samples (PD)
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the meantime, I''m trying the Creatures application. So far, Setup.exe(inside the creature.11 folder) seems to not be sure if win32s is installed(win32s v1.30 is properly installed afaik). Currently continuing on that one.

The install folder's setup.exe and autorun.exe seem to fail, saying that it's not a supported windows version(Windows for Workgroups 3.11).
Edit: I'll need to abort the setup for now, due to hard disk space lack(only a 100MB image with currently about 30-40MB left). I'll retry after increasing the disk image size with Winimage...

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 16 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, good luck! The version of Creatures that's compatible, contains WIn32s on CD, I believe.
It could be that the Windows+Macintosh release is the one that I tried.

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. I found my copy of PC64Win that I used to take the screenshots in the other thread.. It contains the trial version and an old public domain game.
Just copy it to c:\pc64w and re-run that setup program (it will create file associations for the C64 images). Hope it works. 😀

Attachments

• pc64win_wing.png
    Filename
    pc64win_wing.png
    File size
    24.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    pc64w_installed.zip
    File size
    721.03 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it's D:\win32app\pc64win\setup.exe in my case. I already ran said installer, and it ran fine with it's own included Joystick.c64 program. It's just that one ROM(at least as far as I've tested) that actually crashed the emulator, then SB2.0 drivers, then Windows(hanging the whole machine inside UniPCemu).

The last fault I saw was a stack fault, but I don't remember where it was. No faults after that one, though.

Edit: Currently installing Creatures. 1%... It's very slow, about 60 seconds for 1% progress it seems. (15% speed at 3MIPS Pentium CPU).
Edit: 17%.
Edit: 38%...
Edit: 51%...
Edit: 72%...
Edit: 80%...
Edit: 91%...
Edit: 97%...
Edit: 100%!
Edit: Setup completed!

Edit: Interestingly, WhatVGA, which ran until a while back(before the CPU fixes I made) now crashes when ran, immediately after the PCI scan?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 19 of 27, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't seem to be able to compile WhatVGA from MS-DOS 6.22(and Turbo Pascal 7.0) to debug and find out what's going wrong with it? It keeps getting out of memory errors while linking whatvga?

UniPCemu Git repository