VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone have this system? I am trying to figure out what the deal is with the front panel connectors, as the manuals I found for what I think is this motherboard type (Intel WS440BX, manual here, page 43) do not coincide with what I have, even with the double row description which is what my motherboard has.

I have only been able to figure out the very basic: power switch, and reset, but the case doesn't even have a reset button.
I would very much like to use the LED (3 color LED that denotes standbay status too) and HDD LED.

Anything else is bonus. Does this motherboard even have USB headers for the fron panel/case? I feel like it does from this manual, but not sure if I really have them as the motherboard just doesn't look exactly like this.

Any help appreciated!

Reply 3 of 7, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sirlemonhead wrote:

I have a G6-300 if that's any use?

Hi thanks for replying!
It could be if the motherboard is similar. I also have a G6-233 and the motherboards are not the same, and more specifically, this pin header is completely different.

Can you have a look inside and see what you have? Post a photo maybe? I am betting yours will look like my G6-233 (a single row of pins taking 1/3rd of one of the motherboard's edges. Mine are a smaller 2 row header)

Reply 4 of 7, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take pictures of your motherboard front panel header and the front panel connectors for power, reset, LEDs, etc.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 7, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's only three cables on the case, a 3 wire power cable (standby and power states), a 2 wire HDD LED cable, and a power switch cable.
The header is just a 2 row header with ZERO markings on them, this is why I am asking. Actually the motherboard has the same markings as for the G6-233 but there's no pins at those locations. Looks like a hackjob 😜 But it's official!

I blindly tried to connect stuff based on the MX440 manual and that's how I found power and reset, but that's all.

Here's a pic:
dsCoyCr.jpg

See sll that text on the board? That's where these pins are supposed to be in this board but they aren't. My G6-233 has those pins instead and it's all easy.

Reply 6 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a very similar issue back when I was using my Gateway Tabor III motherboard, and I looked it up online and found this diagram:

https://flaterco.com/kb/Tabor3FrontPanel.html

Hopefully, your motherboard uses the same pinout mine does, and I'm pretty sure it does seeing as it looks very similar to the pins on the motherboard I have.

If some of your front panel pins that are across different sides of that connector are connected together, you'll have to remove the actual contacts out of the plastic holder for them and plug them into the separated pins. I had to do this with a couple of cases that I used with my Tabor III. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to fiddle with that pin set.

Where am I?

Reply 7 of 7, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
athlon-power wrote:

I had a very similar issue back when I was using my Gateway Tabor III motherboard, and I looked it up online and found this diagram:

https://flaterco.com/kb/Tabor3FrontPanel.html

Hopefully, your motherboard uses the same pinout mine does, and I'm pretty sure it does seeing as it looks very similar to the pins on the motherboard I have.

Oh shit that DOES look exactly like mine! Thanks! I'll give this a try!
Coincidentally, yes those are the same pinouts as found in the manual I posted before. But I didn't realize I should make a new connector or break the ones on this case. After all yes this is a different case.
I will probably add a reset switch anyway because it's useful, shame the case does not have it though. Will have to drill a hole in a bay panel or something.