VOGONS

8BIT ISA SERIAL I/O TO PS2 MOUSE

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 98, by Felmar Loyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My attempts yesterday were made under DOS with the Logitech Mouseware 7.x. Under DOS, it is easier to analyze. If it runs under DOS, then also the Windows variants should run. I Hope. ^^
The important thing is that the Logitech protocol is supported correctly.

Reply 85 of 98, by Felmar Loyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Tests with the Serial Logitech-Mouse, that i own and the Mouse-Driver, runs not so good. Its a Logitech Mouse Modell M-M30. I can't switch to higher Baudrates with this Model. So i have no chance, to sniff the Comunication between the Mouse and the Driver for changing the Baudrate. Decompiling the Driver is hard, because the Driver has a Size of ~132 KB. That's a whole lot of Assemlber code.
I need an other Logitech Mouse, that support the Baudrate-Switch. Matze79 send me a Modell-C7, with this, i can make more tests. Sorry, but i need more Time.

Reply 86 of 98, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why Sorry? just take so much time you want, who cares ? 😀

time is needed to get a nice and tasty fruit from a tree 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 87 of 98, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a daunting task full of head scratching. Are you disassembling the driver into an assembly language or decompiling the driver into a high-level language like C?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 88 of 98, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I'm not sure if that's the right place to write this, but..
Windows 3.1 has a buggy serial port driver and doesn't use the 16550's FiFo by default.
Windows for Workgroups 3.11 had a rewritten driver, however (link).
On Windows 3.1, it is possible to use that driver or the Cybercom driver.
Just install either of them in SYSTEM directory and change COMM.DRV= and COMFIFO=1 in SYSTEM.INI accordinfly-
Anyway, just saying. Not sure if the serial port driver is relevant for the mouse driver, as well.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 89 of 98, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys again!
I'm sorry that I so rarely appeared here and completely missed this topic and this PS/2 to Microsoft Serialmouse Adapter Converter / Updated First Post / Firmware Update added.
It seems incredible, but for the last 1-2 years I have been doing almost the same things.
I made my first PS/2 to COM adapter back in 2015.
Last fall, I made two adapters at the request of one person. They have been improved and added mode 9600 baud PC Mouse with the expectation to use Logitech C7 mouse driver.
I similarly recompiled the Cutemouse driver to 9600 baud PC Mouse protocol for DOS. But I could not get it working in Windows.
And I just finished work on a prototype of an ISA PS/2 mouse card.
The card seems to the PC as a port 8250, operating at a speed of 1200, but in fact the data from the mouse controller is transmitted almost instantly.
CPLD Altera EPM3064 works with ISA bus. The mouse controller is made on Atmega8.
I do not know whether to create a new topic?
23628225.jpg S1AaW250dr.jpg
Prototype w/o bracket:
Face.jpg

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 90 of 98, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably best to create a new topic.

What I am most interested in is either this serial port emulator or the serial port protocol converter which works with 9600 baud in Windows 9x, Win3.11, and Windows NT 3.51/4.0. Is there a working Windows mouse driver which allows for 9600 baud or faster in either of your adapters? All my retro systems are run through a KVM and using the protocol converter at only 1200 baud has a noticeable delay, rendering the converter unusable. The 9600/19200 baud drivers noted in the other thread only appear to work in DOS, but there is no delay when used thru the KVM. Have you been able to find a solution to this dilemma, that is, 9600+ baud drivers for Windows?

Reply 91 of 98, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

feipoa, no.
I have no 9600 baud driver for windows.
I stopped working on the converter PS/2 to COM because I had a idea to create the ISA card.
The card works much faster than any converter.
The card has one drawback - due to simplified emulation, not all OSs recognize such a port.
The card works in DOS, Win 3.11, Win 95/98, Win NT 3.51, but not working in Win XP.

OK, I'll create a new topic.

Last edited by Rio444 on 2019-07-02, 23:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 92 of 98, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rio444 wrote:
feipoa, no. I have no 9600 baud driver for windows. I stopped working on the converter PS/2 to COM because I had a idea to creat […]
Show full quote

feipoa, no.
I have no 9600 baud driver for windows.
I stopped working on the converter PS/2 to COM because I had a idea to create the ISA card.
The card works much faster than any converter.
The card has one drawback - due to simplified emulation, not all OSs recognize such a port.
The card works in DOS, Win 3.11, Win 95/95, Win NT 3.51, but not working in Win XP.

OK, I'll create a new topic.

You can also continue here, it's no problem for me. In the meantime I tested my card on a lot of systems and I got no problems at all even with 1200 baud and 1280x1024 screen res in windows 98 with standard Microsoft serial mouse drivers. Keropi is testing one of my cards, but even if it works well I use it it to be a plug and play solution for very old systems, I wanted it simple and cheap (and retro looking), matze79 adapter was a very nice solution and I simply had to add the serial I/O part which is very common. I know it's necessary for a lot of different uses, but I wasn't trying to achieve anything else than a simple solution in DOS and Win3.11 for 8086/286/386/486 systems. I needed something to just use a PS/2 mouse as old serial mice replacement without messing with drivers patching or adapter mounting inside the case. But that's just me and my need for the thing, your solution seems much more complete and nice for many others different uses (KVMs and similar situations) and if you combine efforts with Felmar Loyd and Matze79 you will achieve for sure a definitive solution. Mine was just something I did in my spare time combining two already existing things into one.

Reply 93 of 98, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry, I have already created a new topic on the advice of Feipoa.
Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter
Your solution certainly has an advantage, because it is a real COM-port, and no system is able to detect a substitution.

Also, I have a few recommendations on designing the hardware and software of the matze79 converter to improve compatibility with PS/2 mice.
Can I tell their here?

Reply 94 of 98, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

true, I've been using Madowax's card without issues 😀
I believe a better place to discuss the matze79 stuff is on it's thread here: PS/2 to Microsoft Serialmouse Adapter Converter / Updated First Post / Firmware Update added

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 95 of 98, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rio444 wrote:
I'm sorry, I have already created a new topic on the advice of Feipoa. Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter Your solution […]
Show full quote

Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter
Your solution certainly has an advantage, because it is a real COM-port, and no system is able to detect a substitution.

Also, I have a few recommendations on designing the hardware and software of the matze79 converter to improve compatibility with PS/2 mice.
Can I tell their here?

I`m really interested into this 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 96 of 98, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Probably best to create a new topic.?

Madowax wrote:

You can also continue here, it's no problem for me.

Rio444 wrote:

For a new design such as Rio444's 8-bit ISA plug-in card emulator, you will have increased viewership in a new thread rather than burried down on page 5 of another thread. It will also make it easier to google search in years to come.

Reply 97 of 98, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to order a couple of these boards, get a part list, and firmware?
I don't mind building it myself. I could really use these for a few of my retro systems.
Also there is a regular retro computer meat up in Dallas, I'd be happy to test it on a crazy amount of old hardware.

Thanks 😀