VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where can i find ( and what is name) of a plastic tool for removing a socket7 CPU in a non ziff socket? I not want to use a screwdriver

tnks

Reply 1 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea about name or where to find. I have one with "Kingston" on it (evidently from one of their Evergreen products). Tbh though, I'd just as soon use a knife. Use a plastic knife if you want to be sure you don't damage stuff.

Reply 2 of 10, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought only socket 1 came in non zif then eveything after was zif and had a leaver?

this is the tool for removing non zif socket cpus, maybye those numbers will help you track it down

1600px-Intel_CPU_removal_tool.jpg

Reply 3 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's be realistic, it's hard to find specific Intel tools. Therefore you should settle on the next best thing - chip extractor tool.
s-l300.jpg

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 10, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Let's be realistic, it's hard to find specific Intel tools. Therefore you should settle on the next best thing - chip extractor […]
Show full quote

Let's be realistic, it's hard to find specific Intel tools. Therefore you should settle on the next best thing - chip extractor tool.
s-l300.jpg

That one is intended to remove PLCC chips from their sockets. This one might make it a bit easier:

410wPTwh9GL._AC_SY400_.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 5 of 10, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Must be for socket 7

Reply 6 of 10, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the Intel tool grips the first row of pins on socket 7, but I am curious is this a custom socket? as far as I know everything socket 3 + is a zif with a leaver

IMG-20190617-215253.jpg

Reply 7 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish I had used an extractor tool on a recent 8088 pull, I'm guessing it's still functional put I did a number on one row of pins.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 8 of 10, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote:
the Intel tool grips the first row of pins on socket 7, but I am curious is this a custom socket? as far as I know everything s […]
Show full quote

the Intel tool grips the first row of pins on socket 7, but I am curious is this a custom socket? as far as I know everything socket 3 + is a zif with a leaver

IMG-20190617-215253.jpg

Its a socket7 NON ZIF coming from a SBC where the space is very important. I think is not really uncommon, is like a 386DX socket but with a Pentium pin number.

Reply 9 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As an alternative, have you tried modding an old expansion slot cover?

cover.jpg

You could even Dremel in a few teeth if it would make it better.

Reply 10 of 10, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i have undestand that i must build myself a good handmade tool... also because i have found a fantastich SBC 486DX2 with a socketed non zif cpu