VOGONS

First post, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to make my MIDI keyboard work with Fast Tracker 2 (version 2.09) using gameport from my YMF724 sound card. MIDI keyboard is connected to gameport with gameport-midi cable. I have tested my MIDI keyboard with AdLib Tracker 2 (version 2.3.52) and it works there. (At least I can play my MIDI keyboard. Haven't yet figured out how to use it in record mode though, but that's totally separate issue...)

Is there something I need to enable in Fast Tracker Settings to make it work? I checked 'FT2.DOC' and couldn't find anything. In AdLib Tracker I had to edit .ini-file to add support for mpu-330 interface (AT2 manual helped). After that it worked fine. In Fast Tracker settings it reads "MIDI Port 330". There are some settings for midi and most of them seem to be enabled right away. I have ticked some on and off and can't just get any life out of my MIDI keyboard in this program.

Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing right. . .

Last edited by RegTheEvil on 2019-07-03, 21:16. Edited 1 time in total.

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me

Reply 1 of 7, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have any idea where to look for answers? I haven't been able to find a forum that focuses on MS-DOS trackers. I found Starbreeze's old web page archived (http://web.archive.org/web/19980530082846/htt … starbreeze.com/) and it reads there -> "Note: We don't have time to answer mail about Fasttracker 2 anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience."

I might have some general issues here. I tried impulse tracker as well and had no clue how to setup midi keyboard there either. Maybe my sound card or something else in my system is incompatible with Fast Tracker 2 (or Impulse Tracker)? I have no idea. Do the software require intelligent mode from MPU-401? I think mine only supports UART.

I also tested XG Works in Windows 98SE. I didn't have to do anything. I just started playing MIDI keyboard right away and it worked.

Comics made by me

Reply 2 of 7, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also went ahead and tested Doom 2 in both DOS (7.10) and Windows (98SE) using gameport from YMF724 sound card connected to Yamaha DD-65 (midi drums) to test general midi playback with that game and it works just fine.

Comics made by me

Reply 3 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember how to set up MIDI specifically for FT2, but I know it can be done. The ModArchive forums aren't super busy, but someone over there will likely know the answer if you're patient.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 7, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you can find an updated version of FT2: https://16-bits.org/other.php
The developer seems to have access to the original source and might be of help with this.
FT 2.09 is considered buggy btw, try 2.08 or the one I linked.

YouTube

Reply 5 of 7, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I will check these soon... I have been a bit busy but I'll get back to this as soon as possible and report how it gets going... 😀

Comics made by me

Reply 6 of 7, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I finally registered to The Mod Archive Forums and asked about it. I also emailed the developer of the version 2.10c. Now I just wait for answers... But in the meanwhile after my just ordered Aureal Vortex PCI sound card arrives I will test it with FT2 to see if I can make my MIDI keyboard work through that instead. Of course I have other uses for that sound card but gonna try this out as well. . . . . . .

Comics made by me

Reply 7 of 7, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested FT2 with Aureal Vortex AU8810A1 PCI sound card with Doom, AT2 (version 2.3.52) and FT2 (version 2.10c) with similar results and again FT2 being the only one that didn't work. I also earlier tested FT2 2.08 with YMF724 sound card. No go.

This is what Olav Sørensen (the maker of FT2 version 2.10c) told me when I emailed him about getting MIDI keyboard to work with FT2.

"As far as I know, MIDI in FT2 will only work with original Sound Blaster cards or Gravis Ultrasound."

The Mod Archive forum topic is still ongoing but I won't hold my breath. It looks like I will have to settle with this https://16-bits.org/ft2.php FastTracker 2 clone for Windows if I really want to use FT2 with MIDI keyboard...that is...until I get myself a proper retro system. Might take a very long time. I havent tested this clone yet and only assume it can be used with MIDI keyboard. Will check later in the future... That...or just keep using Milky Tracker for sample based music. Unless somebody knows and tells me how to make it work with my current retro system. If I find success some day, I will post it in this threat. . . . . . .

Comics made by me