K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.4.51

Postby t9999clint » 2019-2-28 @ 19:52

I figured someone already did that. That's good, it means a lot less work for me to do. They still don't have all the features I'm looking for but it'd be a good start.

Fluidsynth was what I was planning to use as well, I also figured I'd try just using falcosoft midiplayer in wine through qemu translation, but I wasn't expecting that to run well...
Just got my Ras Pi 3 B+ today so I'm gonna start tinkering around. I also got my MiSTer fpga today so I'm gonna have some midi fun with that as well.
t9999clint

Postby t9999clint » 2019-3-15 @ 07:09

I couldn't get very close to 500mb, The closest I could manage was 800mb, I posted it up as the GM Basic soundfont. Still though, that's about a gig that I was able to remove while having it sound 90% as good. I haven't tried running it on a raspberry pi yet, but I'm going to be doing that first thing tomorrow morning. Stay tuned. ;)

Also I have a minor bugfix for the complete soundfont. I'm gonna finish that up and upload that tomorrow as well. It'll be version 4.52
t9999clint

Postby t9999clint » 2019-3-16 @ 21:58

I wasn't able to get Zynthian to run, i think it needs a different dac or something, but I was able to get it to work with a base install of rasbian lite.
I'm testing out some zram settings to see if I can load one of my larger soundfonts in there, but I doubt it'll work.

I've found a few more things to change with the bugfix, so that'll have to wait for a little bit...

I started a new project page for the Raspberry PI stuff, I've decided to name it WavePi, here's the link for that... viewtopic.php?f=62&t=65908
t9999clint

Re: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.4.75

Postby t9999clint » 2019-5-12 @ 04:43

StrixSoundfontTeam sent me a significantly size reduced version of my basic soundfont. I tweaked this a bit and fixed a few glitches that it had with Fluidsynth. I released this as the TINY soundfont. It's only 522mb!!
(Yes I know that this is still huge to most people)
I've also fixed a number of bugs and updated the samples for the GM Complete Pack.
Testing out the GM Basic soundfont, I've found it's probably the most GM Compatible of all the soundfonts and is the one I'd suggest to use with 99% of MIDI games. It doesn't sound as good as the larger soundfonts, but it has the best overall tone to it. (I think my Complete and Orchestra soundfonts might be stuck in the uncanny valley right now)

This project is making very slow progress as of late due to some health issues. Most of the updates I released today were basically done a few months ago, I just wasn't able to do my final tests on them until now.
t9999clint

Re: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0

Postby t9999clint » 2019-5-21 @ 08:45

Released Version 5 of my soundfont.
I think it sounds different enough to justify a version number upgrade. I think I finally have Tyrian sounding proper now.
I still have to change the basic and tiny soundfonts to match the new changes, this shouldn't be hard to do, I just need to do more testing with my raspberry pi to make sure everything is still working before I release those.
They will be at version 1.0 when that's done.

I will be doing a fairly major update after this. I'm probably not going to have a GM Complete and Orchestra release after this (other than bugfixes). GM Basic will be the main version, and I will add a GS Compatible addon to replace the complete and Orchestra packs. It's goal will be to be 99% SC-55 compatible and be below 2gb.
We will see how that goes...

I really need to work on my own drum presets, but I can't seem to find good samples that match the acoustic signature of the GM standard. I still have some ideas that I can try with sound 3D room audio synthesization that might help, but I need to do some research on the GM spec first. (I've kind of ignored that until now)
If anyone wants to help, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to make something that sounds pretty similar to the Musescore General soundfont's Drumset, but with more velocities than they use (4 per key). This will only be used on the GS Compatibility addon and not the others. (I'll still use Musescore General for those).

Example of new soundfont in action... https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault/ ... main-theme
t9999clint

Postby t9999clint » 2019-5-31 @ 02:42

I heavily modified a pre-existing soundfont. It now loosely resembles my KOR Soundfont, but is only 14.3MB!!!
I'm still getting permission from the original author to redistribute, but it's looking pretty promising so far. I'm digging out my AWE64 Gold as we speak to see if it'll run this thing.
t9999clint

Postby t9999clint » 2019-6-07 @ 06:50

Got permission to redistribute my own version of the soundfont. It's getting damn near the quality of the TINY soundfont version. It's about 19mb and growing, but as long as I keep it below 20mb it should be fine.
Link to that project is here... https://www.retroimperfections.com/pro7use/
t9999clint

Postby t9999clint » 2019-6-30 @ 07:35

WavePi project is going along smoothly now, the K.O.R. Tiny and Basic soundfont's run great on it.
There's a few things I want to update just to get Tyrian 2000 working better. Decent and DOOM sound amazing though. I'll get that done after I finish the youtube video for it.
Also, I just got an another offer to help with an interesting project. I'm gonna keep everything hush hush for now, but I will be porting this soundfont to another much more obscure platform. Just waiting for the dev kit to show up.
It's gonna be LIT AF!!
t9999clint

Postby t9999clint » 2019-7-07 @ 18:47

OK, I think negotiations and whatnot are far enough along that I can announce this.
My soundfont project is getting a version made for the Dreamblaster synth hardware. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to keep GPL for that version, but I'll keep the samples and sourcecode available for the GPL stuff from the main soundfont.

I'm making some more progress on a few other things with this project, but nothing big enough to release yet.
Expect a AWE64 compatible version as well.
t9999clint

Previous

Return to Release Announcements