512.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Various sticks of 128/256MB PC133 SDRAM - $Free
  • 512MB SDRAM - $Free
  • Two Sticks of 512MB DDR - $Free
  • Two Sound Blaster Live! CT4780 - $5 each
  • Sound Blaster Audigy SE - $Free (incorrectly labeled in pic!)
  • Two 1Gbit NIC - $Free
  • nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 - $5
  • nVidia Riva TNT2 Ultra 32MB - $5
  • nVidia Geforce 2 MX400 - $5
  • ATI Radeon 9200 128MB - $Free
  • ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Mac/Pc Edition - $5
  • Domex Fast/Ultra Narrow SCSI card - $Free

Reply 29321 of 52896, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Nvidia 7950GT for my XP PC. It was delivered by a random person in their car rather than Royal Mail / DPD etc. It also arrived like this:

5Ryivw2l.jpg
Just one bit of cellotape holding the flap down.

It seems to be working OK though.
w8ONnHDl.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 29323 of 52896, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All purchased from Re-Pc in Tukwila Washington yesterday, got the Voodoo 3 2000 for $2 😎

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0719.jpg
    File size
    630.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0718.jpg
    File size
    1.4 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0716.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0716.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0715.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0715.jpg
    File size
    629 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0714.jpg
    File size
    415.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 29324 of 52896, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet another mysterious Japanese Yamaha CD-ROM:

kamonegi 1.jpg
Filename
kamonegi 1.jpg
File size
92.28 KiB
Views
File license
kamonegi 2.jpg
Filename
kamonegi 2.jpg
File size
123.14 KiB
Views
File license

This is a disc version of an old online music magazine by Yamaha (and longer ago it was on paper), with extra software thrown in:
- Midplug control for XG v1.01b-J and Midplug for XG v1.01-J (both PC, I guess the first is the beta version) and v1.10 for Mac
- S-YG20T trial softsynth (PC-only)
- S-YXG50 trial softsynth (Mac and PC)
- S-YXG100 trial softsynth (PC)
- SoundVQ (Mac and PC)
- XGWorks v3.01 Trial (PC)
- RakuRaku-whatever and some other program of which I can't read the name (both PC)
- A folder titled "Digicame-Trial" (oopsie by Yamaha? 😲 ) that contains Acrobat Reader, MA71w (which is a Yamaha product code, no clue what software it refers to), and the Yamaha MIDI driver for Windows 95.
- And various other stuff.

Based on the original price of the CD (2,500 yen) I expect all software to be trial versions.

The CD-ROM has a PC and Mac side.

The Mac side is pretty spare, containing the three Mac programs listed above and also a local copy of one issue of the online magazine and information on various products. One thing has that I haven't seen on other Yamaha CD-ROMs yet is that it contains AWM (not explicitly XG, AWM) MIDI files. AWM is Yamaha's sound generation method use on their more advanced synthesizers at the beginning of the 1990s.

The PC side is more extensive, with Macromedia Flash games with MIDI music (which I haven't tried yet because my vintage PC has no Flash installed) and a lot of software. Unfortunately it appears to have some authoring errors resulting in blank folders and empty files. However, it lacks the AWM files...

Reply 29325 of 52896, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Efflixi wrote:
My haul over the past couple of weeks: […]
Show full quote

My haul over the past couple of weeks:

vintage cards.jpg
  • 512MB SDRAM - $Free
  • Two 1Gbit NIC - $Free

I'm sorry but that is not an TnT2 Ultra but just another m64 (64bit) version.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 29326 of 52896, by Efflixi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:
Efflixi wrote:
My haul over the past couple of weeks: […]
Show full quote

My haul over the past couple of weeks:

vintage cards.jpg
  • 512MB SDRAM - $Free
  • Two 1Gbit NIC - $Free

I'm sorry but that is not an TnT2 Ultra but just another m64 (64bit) version.

You are correct, damn! I thought I scored with that card. Oh well...

Reply 29327 of 52896, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought what appears to be either a MSI or a Chicony board (UL on the underside points to MSI though) that somebody removed the cache from. According to Keppu's thread, it's a TK8498F/GP 4N D228, though mine might be a higher revision....

Looks pretty nice - VLB, CR2032 socket (Keppu's board uses a barrel type battery), Socket 3, 72pin SIMMs.

Might have a shot at soldering some cut up BIOS sockets in place and using some cache I have on another older board (SIS 461 I think) to see if it works.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 29328 of 52896, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Searching for Microchannel (MCA) sound devices in this thread yields me close to zero. As Adlib Golds has become increasingly common these days (like 5-6 pcs sold this year and I might have missed some?), I've slowly switched focus on hardware being harder to obtain - and MCA sound cards - yep, they certainly fill the criteria here 🤣

I have very warm feelings towards the IBM stuff, and their lovely PS/2 line in particular. Finding sound cards for them is not easy, though, but I am quite content what I came up with within a relatively short period of time (say 1-1,5 months). So here we go..! 😀

IBM M-ACPA (M-Audio Capture And Playback Adapter/A). Pretty much useless in gaming and not Sound Blaster compatible. Is said to sound pretty cool when playing waveform audio and those few YouTube videos seem to back this up. Certainly a keeper (if not for games) especially when coupled with an ActionMedia II further down.

kORptQoh.jpg

IBM ActionMedia II Display Adapter/A 2MB with an additional Capture Card (ActionMedia II Capture Option). This definitely is an impressive device, not a pure sound device, though. Presented here as it can take output from the abovementioned M-ACPA (and I got it as an added bonus).

wbwvcbch.jpg

A lot of (some of them weird) cables inside. Time for a manual, may be.

JDR6A6Zh.jpg

BIG Mutha *ucka.

QFdIYiQh.jpg

IBM Audiovation Adapter/A. This is *the* real deal, not the more common ISA version. Sound Blaster emulation in a DSP, which is said to be usable in games in a DOS window under Windows.

oX2UgqDh.jpg

A lot of cool stuff inside here as well!

mEooXT6h.jpg

NNIcWLEh.jpg

g8TZ2Dhh.jpg

I like when folks are proud of their achievements.

c71Om1th.jpg

I don't enjoy much of getting things naked (when it comes to computer hardware, at least 🤣) but with this I did make an exemption and yes, it was worth it 😎

Roland Midi Processing Unit MPU-IMC. Nice thing is, this is a later revision (n:o 3?) where IRQ is adjustable by a jumper switch on the card.

l26gfREh.jpg

Creative Labs SOUND BLASTER PRO MCV CT5330. 😎 Not much else to comment here.

hZtBK7gh.jpg

cXqF4iAh.jpg

4DRmF9th.jpg

Simply beautiful.

wQYb1uvh.jpg

Getting yourself the Mickey Mouse might be an alternative to MCA sound cards (which, admittedly, are not that easy to come by). Anyone remembering the "Rocketeer"..

EKaVHcJh.jpg

HjgDn31h.jpg

Oh, that is cheap (back then may be 🤣 ).

o48F2zkh.jpg

Now someone just give me a hint of that SoundPiper or ChipChat 😉
*cough*

Reply 29329 of 52896, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome stuff in the post above!

Finaly the last pieces of my boxed ASUS collection made it into port, and I can now show a updated collection picture.

I really appreciate ASUS box art and style, and I love collecting these. I have more loose cards, that I someday hope I can reunite with their proper boxes
IMG-6445.jpg
IMG-6444.jpg
IMG-6443.jpg
IMG-6448.jpg

Every card is in perfect working order, with the exception of the TI7700 TI/VX, which have memory artifacts and needs to be diagnosed and repaired.

From left to right and front to back:

ASUS V8420 Geforce 4 TI4200
ASUS V8460 Geforce 4 TI4600 Ultra
ASUS V8440 Geforce 4 TI4400
ASUS V7700 Geforce 2 TI/VX
ASUS V7100 Geforce 2 MX Deluxe Combo
ASUS V6800 Geforce 256 DDR Deluxe
ASUS V7700 Geforce 2 GTS Deluxe
ASUS V7100 Geforce 2 MX
ASUS V3800 RIVA TNT2 Ultra Deluxe
ASUS V8200 Geforce 3 Deluxe
ASUS V8200T2 Geforce 3 TI500

The hunt continues..

Have a nice day

Reply 29330 of 52896, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@rikukos

Yeah, those MCA sound cards are rare and expensive when you can find them. This is the only reason I did not purchase a hardware proprietary IBM PS/2.

Reply 29331 of 52896, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@rikukos

I have 2 Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro cards (both NX Pro and NX Pro 16) that has Disney Sound Source integrated, along with Covox Speech Things, Adlib, Sound Blaster Pro/2.0 (Genuine Yamaha YMF-262M OPL3), and different CD-ROM drives are supported either integrated or optional expansion boards: Panasonic, Mitsumi, SCSI (option board required), and Sony (option board required). My newly acquired, boxed Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 (Reveal SC400), also supports Windows Sound System and a WaveTable header (works in Windows only, sadly, as DOS games only worked on port 330h).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29332 of 52896, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple Number 9 S3 Vision 968 PCI Video cards.

Attachments

Reply 29333 of 52896, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@bjwil1991
Generally, there are plenty of choices when switching over to ISA side of things, and many of them are easily obtainable. I remember posting in this thread about the (boxed) Sound Galaxy PRO 16 (Extra) a while ago (may be similar to one of yours). Unfortunately, these things are not an option if you want run things on a microchannel machine.

Reply 29334 of 52896, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@rikukos: A man with proper taste. Like you said, Adlib Gold has become a bit meh - the more exciting to see what you got. Very nice.
@skanque: Quite the collection. Just imagine what it could look like when merging our both collections into one... 🤣

Last edited by blurks on 2019-06-30, 16:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29335 of 52896, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@blurks haha, I have had exactly the same thought 😁 So when will you be sending your boxes across the pond? Just kidding, your collection inspired me. I still have a long way to go to equal your 3dfx collection, only have the one box atm hehe

Reply 29337 of 52896, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ blurks. I would also consider your collection near complete.
My aim would be to get one of each version of the card. Not to have each PCI and AGP version along with each PC and MAC variant of those. The engineering prototypes are for enthusiasts, I appreciate 3dfx a whole lot, but I also collect other stuff, so not going so deep down the rabbit hole.
I would not consider your collection "nothing too special" (:, I think it has the perfect size to represent 3dfx. I hope I can amass a similar collection at some point.

I was sure that you where US based, but nice that we are on the same continent.

Reply 29338 of 52896, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
Yet another mysterious Japanese Yamaha CD-ROM: […]
Show full quote

Yet another mysterious Japanese Yamaha CD-ROM:

kamonegi 1.jpg
kamonegi 2.jpg

This is a disc version of an old online music magazine by Yamaha (and longer ago it was on paper), with extra software thrown in:
- Midplug control for XG v1.01b-J and Midplug for XG v1.01-J (both PC, I guess the first is the beta version) and v1.10 for Mac
- S-YG20T trial softsynth (PC-only)
- S-YXG50 trial softsynth (Mac and PC)
- S-YXG100 trial softsynth (PC)
- SoundVQ (Mac and PC)
- XGWorks v3.01 Trial (PC)
- RakuRaku-whatever and some other program of which I can't read the name (both PC)
- A folder titled "Digicame-Trial" (oopsie by Yamaha? 😲 ) that contains Acrobat Reader, MA71w (which is a Yamaha product code, no clue what software it refers to), and the Yamaha MIDI driver for Windows 95.
- And various other stuff.

Based on the original price of the CD (2,500 yen) I expect all software to be trial versions.

The CD-ROM has a PC and Mac side.

The Mac side is pretty spare, containing the three Mac programs listed above and also a local copy of one issue of the online magazine and information on various products. One thing has that I haven't seen on other Yamaha CD-ROMs yet is that it contains AWM (not explicitly XG, AWM) MIDI files. AWM is Yamaha's sound generation method use on their more advanced synthesizers at the beginning of the 1990s.

The PC side is more extensive, with Macromedia Flash games with MIDI music (which I haven't tried yet because my vintage PC has no Flash installed) and a lot of software. Unfortunately it appears to have some authoring errors resulting in blank folders and empty files. However, it lacks the AWM files...

Very nice. Can we get an image of that to put up on vogonsdrivers... or at least on my Yamaha XG repository? Do you have any other random XG disks?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK