VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29340 of 52730, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small update on the TK-8498F board I got.

Installed some PARADIGM cache chips from a Freetech SiS-based 486 board I have, along with new caps. No POST, CPU warms up (i486DX-50MHz, SX710) and jumpers set accordingly but other than that it's doing nothing, no beeps or anything.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 29341 of 52730, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Already have a few Slot 1 BX boards, but none from QDI, so...

QDI Legend BrillianX IS.jpg
Filename
QDI Legend BrillianX IS.jpg
File size
851.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

QDI Legend BrillianX IS

Reply 29343 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I responded to an ad for a "massive pile of free electronics" today. I went over and the guy was putting TONS of things out into the driveway for people to take - mostly old radio gear, test equipment, stuff like that. He was losing his rental & had to move in a hurry, so everything had to go. Here's what I snagged:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
372.81 KiB
Views
File license

^^ two towers of power, four Genexxa speakers (we looked everywhere for the grills for the 3.5" ones but sadly they were nowhere to be found 🙁 ), two classic Gravis joysticks, two 1-in, 4-out VGA splitters (one in box, one loose), a Trinitron monitor and a handy Dell E177FPb.

Also not pictured: an original Xbox (for parts, probably), another sick-as-hell boombox, a Realistic hi-fi EQ, a tape head demagnetizer, and a few other odds & ends. I ended up giving the guy $20, just because I've been in that situation too and it sucks donkey nuts. Fair's fair.

So what's in the towers? Well, for starters, here's the black one:

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
359.68 KiB
Views
File license
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
409.94 KiB
Views
File license

^^ an EVGA 3-way SLI board with a Q6600, 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 (PC2-6400 5-4-4), two single-slot 8800GTs, a complete brute of an Antec 1kW power supply, and even a pair of hard drives (40GB IDE & 500GB SATA.) Hell yeah. I fired it up and it booted to Vista off the 40GB drive; everything seemed to be working fine. This was a pretty amazing gaming rig back in the day.

And the beige one?

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
372.84 KiB
Views
File license

How about a PIII-500 on a compact BX board with an ISA slot, 128MB SDRAM, a modem, ethernet card, the worst I/O shield I've ever seen, and a 16MB Voodoo3 2000? Not bad!

I fired it up and was greeted by a lovely white Emachines boot screen, so definitely not the original board that was in this case. Which explains why the proprietary LED panel was bodged on to the front. Looks like it was originally built by Seanix, who were a fairly-popular mail-order(?) distributor in this area in the '90s, but somebody "upgraded" it with leftover Emachines parts a couple years later.

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
206.02 KiB
Views
File license

The cases are both pretty dirty and are missing parts, so they're going to E-waste, and I'll probably pass the P3 board onto someone else who needs a retro system, but the Voodoo3 was a nice find!

I'll hang onto the SLI system for now; I have one last project I need to do before I move on from the platform. 😉 What a cool setup though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29344 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CameraZOOM-20190630143439016.jpg
Filename
File size
241.83 KiB
Views
File license

^^ Oh yeah, said boombox. I guess I "collect" these now. Great.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29346 of 52730, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

That would not look out of place next to a couple of 1980s Yamaha FM keyboards (same colours). 😀

Reply 29347 of 52730, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Very nice. Can we get an image of that to put up on vogonsdrivers... or at least on my Yamaha XG repository? Do you have any other random XG disks?

Currently in my possession:

- Internet Singer Song Writer 4 + bonus disk (very extensive JP sequencer with tons of Roland & Yamaha extras)
- Yamaha Special CD-ROM XG selection & others (drivers, MIDI files, Daisuke Asakura pictures 😘 🤣 )
- Yamaha Special Edition '96 (like previous except no pictures)
- XGWorks 4.0 CD that was packed with Hello Music packages
- XGWorks ST (SOL-lite)
- Midradio Music Data Easy Search CD-ROM (PDF-catalogue of online Yamaha service)
- Roland Musi-kun CD-ROM
- Yamaha Visual Arranger (full version)
- CV01 Hatsune Miku demo version
- CV03 Megurine Luka demo version

I really should be getting myself an external disk to store disk images on (before uploading them), eh 😊 ? *adds it to the list of stuff to buy using the holiday allowance*

Reply 29348 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
xjas wrote:
The attachment CameraZOOM-20190630143439016.jpg is no longer available

That would not look out of place next to a couple of 1980s Yamaha FM keyboards (same colours). 😀

L0L, it was literally next to a couple of '80s Yamaha keyboards when I took the picture. They were just out of frame. 😜

DSCN1466.JPG
Filename
DSCN1466.JPG
File size
297.36 KiB
Views
File license

Speaking of Yamaha, @Cyclone3D: is this one you don't have yet?

DSCN1471.JPG
Filename
DSCN1471.JPG
File size
176.79 KiB
Views
File license
DSCN1472.JPG
Filename
DSCN1472.JPG
File size
214.74 KiB
Views
File license

^^ Still sealed... Apparently I used this card for a few years & never realized there was anything cool on the disc. Now I have no idea where the card's gone. 🙁

Reply 29349 of 52730, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Currently in my possession: […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

Very nice. Can we get an image of that to put up on vogonsdrivers... or at least on my Yamaha XG repository? Do you have any other random XG disks?

- Internet Singer Song Writer 4 + bonus disk (very extensive JP sequencer with tons of Roland & Yamaha extras)
- Yamaha Special CD-ROM XG selection & others (drivers, MIDI files, Daisuke Asakura pictures 😘 🤣 )
- XGWorks ST (SOL-lite)
- Midradio Music Data Easy Search CD-ROM (PDF-catalogue of online Yamaha service)
- Roland Musi-kun CD-ROM

I really should be getting myself an external disk to store disk images on (before uploading them), eh 😊 ? *adds it to the list of stuff to buy using the holiday allowance*

Please do image them so they can be added to the VogonsDrivers archive and the XG repository of cyclone3d

Reply 29350 of 52730, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Already have a few Slot 1 BX boards, but none from QDI, so...

QDI Legend BrillianX IS

I always liked QDI boards, they are not features rich but they are quite reliable. Of the BX series I love this one:

gXliX0m.jpg
QDI Legend BrillianX 9

Nice catch btw

Reply 29351 of 52730, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

does it take PIIIs?

I'll need to update the bios but yes, it will support P3 coppermines to 800MHz

w00t nice find!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 29352 of 52730, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
Currently in my possession: […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

- XGWorks ST (SOL-lite)
- Roland Musi-kun CD-ROM

Sweet. I'll add all those to my repository if you image them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29353 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had never intended to collect any 286/386 era hardware but lately I've just been coming across these things and for good prices, usually below $20 per motherboard. This one here was on sale for $15 only. I grabbed it. Untested and has some battery damage but it should work I would think.

Unknown 286-10 01.JPG
Filename
Unknown 286-10 01.JPG
File size
326.43 KiB
Views
File license

Has an AMD 286-16 on it and a fixed amount of ram. I wonder how fast that is compared to the current 386SX-25 I am working on right now.. I can't wait to put this in a suitable case alongside my Adlib clone and MusicQuest clone to play some sweet Sierra games 😀

Unknown 286-10 02.JPG
Filename
Unknown 286-10 02.JPG
File size
245.09 KiB
Views
File license

Only question is, what is that unpopulated IC socket to the north of the CPU? Coprocessor? Hmm..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29354 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picked this up for a bottle of wine today:
full.jpg

Power Mac G5 1.8 DP PCI-X. The most powerful Mac you could buy 15 years ago. Also one of the heaviest non-server computers you could buy. My back is not going to be happy with me tomorrow. Upshot: even though my metro this afternoon was very busy, I had my own seat 😉

Reply 29355 of 52730, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Picked this up for a bottle of wine today: https://tweakers.net/ext/f/crqEI7C6jh4b1yszqrEAUPyB/full.jpg […]
Show full quote

Picked this up for a bottle of wine today:
full.jpg

Power Mac G5 1.8 DP PCI-X. The most powerful Mac you could buy 15 years ago. Also one of the heaviest non-server computers you could buy. My back is not going to be happy with me tomorrow. Upshot: even though my metro this afternoon was very busy, I had my own seat 😉

Apple has always had a penchant for making beautiful machines. I love the chrome, acrylic, and white glossy plastic of the power mac PCs, such a great aesthetic.

Reply 29357 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote:

[...]

Apple has always had a penchant for making beautiful machines. I love the chrome, acrylic, and white glossy plastic of the power mac PCs, such a great aesthetic.

Great - and functional - design. It's not just beautiful, it has thermal/airflow management that puts most enthousiast homebrew stuff to shame, it's effortlessly easy and intuitive to open up and mess around in. But you paid through the teeth for that privilege of course, and the almost religious fanaticism of users was also a bit off-putting. Fortunately neither are an issue here. If it works I still have to figure out what to actually do with it, but a MacOS 10.4 Tiger / Linux dualboot on an SSD is sort of what I'm thinking now.

Edit:
Just hooked it up to see what state it was in. Seller told me he'd wanted to wipe the disks and leave a clean install of MacOS, but messed up the latter. Not quite sure why he thought that though, as it booted straight into MacOS 10.5.8. Still urgently needs an SSD, but it's clear the system is in perfect working order 😁

Reply 29358 of 52730, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still in transit;

1) The Blasterboard from one of our fellow Vogoners (maybe I should type that as Vogon'ers)

2) Yamaha DB51XG daughterboard (finally found one for a 'decent' price)

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 29359 of 52730, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
I had never intended to collect any 286/386 era hardware but lately I've just been coming across these things and for good price […]
Show full quote

I had never intended to collect any 286/386 era hardware but lately I've just been coming across these things and for good prices, usually below $20 per motherboard. This one here was on sale for $15 only. I grabbed it. Untested and has some battery damage but it should work I would think.

Unknown 286-10 01.JPG

Has an AMD 286-16 on it and a fixed amount of ram. I wonder how fast that is compared to the current 386SX-25 I am working on right now.. I can't wait to put this in a suitable case alongside my Adlib clone and MusicQuest clone to play some sweet Sierra games 😀

Unknown 286-10 02.JPG

Only question is, what is that unpopulated IC socket to the north of the CPU? Coprocessor? Hmm..

I have a number of 286 Headland based boards, looks like the FPU socket. Interesting to see multi IO on the board itself. You don't see that to often on 286 boards.

Hopefully that battery didn't do to much damage. Love to see a other photo of it once you've got it cleaned up!