VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29380 of 52359, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I scored a great deal on a Voodoo 3 PCI today 😁. It was still maybe the most I have paid for a retro part, but much less than the going rate for PCI voodoo cards these days.

s-l1600.jpg

I have a socket 7 build and a socket 478 machine. My hope is that I can get the voodoo card to work for glide games and use my FX card for openGL and directX. If they refuse to play nice together, then I'll put it in my dos machine instead.

Reply 29381 of 52359, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget to add a fan to that thing. Learnt that the hard way with my first VooDoo3 2000 PCI card. My V3 3000 PCI card has a fan on it (added one myself) and it still works.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29382 of 52359, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Don't forget to add a fan to that thing. Learnt that the hard way with my first VooDoo3 2000 PCI card. My V3 3000 PCI card has a fan on it (added one myself) and it still works.

Yeah that is definitely part of the plan. It would make for one expensive coaster.

Reply 29383 of 52359, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally found an IBM 365 for a half-way reasonable price.

ebay seller images:
kIIo7LWm.jpg
nDpD2F7m.jpg
m33DBxxm.jpg
MKXYthqm.jpg

I'll know in 7-17 days if the door survives the trip around the world.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 29384 of 52359, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hope it survives, man.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29385 of 52359, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

My 3000 does not have a fan, and it still works 😀

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 29386 of 52359, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I don't notice my V3 2000 getting hot to the touch, just a bit warm. I even ran it at 75MHz AGP for a while with no issues. It has a bigger heat sink than the one pictured though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29387 of 52359, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I saw this and made him an offer as the price was too much for me... especially in unknown state. I hope it survives the trip as the case is in nice condition and it actually works when you put in the cpu(s).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 29388 of 52359, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I saw this and made him an offer as the price was too much for me... especially in unknown state. I hope it survives the trip as the case is in nice condition and it actually works when you put in the cpu(s).

@kixs

Yea, I know. total gamble. but for some *censored* reason people want 5-6 hundred dollars for the damn things. I got lucky. I had a small windfall of money, and I just had to take it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 29389 of 52359, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last really high end s3 chipset, the vision968 on a diamond card with the excellent ti dac (same on the famous matrox millennium).

benchmarks here:
Fastest video card for DOS, Socket 3 VLB / Socket 5 / Socket 7 / Slot 1 FPS comparison

possible config here:
Re: Socket 5 @ 1995.05 - Pentium 120, ARK Logic ARK2000PV, Sound Blaster AWE32, Gravis Ultrasound

Attachments

• 20190705_081649.jpg
    Filename
    20190705_081649.jpg
    File size
    458.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29391 of 52359, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

retro workstation build incoming 😀

tyan_mpx.jpg
Filename
tyan_mpx.jpg
File size
335.49 KiB
Views
File license

also my current way of trying to acquire more retro hardware isn't terribly efficient, I particularly dislike that the scrappers remove all metal parts, most cards missing their slot covers and some of the motherboards that otherwise look fine sometimes have damage on the chipset from ripping the heatsinks off, and then there's of course just a bunch of parts just being outright broken or damaged, but still better than nothing I guess.

hardware05.jpg
Filename
hardware05.jpg
File size
385.95 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 29393 of 52359, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote:
The last really high end s3 chipset, the vision968 on a diamond card with the excellent ti dac (same on the famous matrox millen […]
Show full quote

The last really high end s3 chipset, the vision968 on a diamond card with the excellent ti dac (same on the famous matrox millennium).

benchmarks here:
Fastest video card for DOS, Socket 3 VLB / Socket 5 / Socket 7 / Slot 1 FPS comparison

possible config here:
Re: Socket 5 @ 1995.05 - Pentium 120, ARK Logic ARK2000PV, Sound Blaster AWE32, Gravis Ultrasound

I got one of those in the AMD 5x86-133 I built. It is quite a good card for that machine.

Reply 29394 of 52359, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

retro workstation build incoming 😀

tyan_mpx.jpg

Tyan Tiger MP/MPX?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29395 of 52359, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:
arncht wrote:
The last really high end s3 chipset, the vision968 on a diamond card with the excellent ti dac (same on the famous matrox millen […]
Show full quote

benchmarks here:

possible config here:

I got one of those in the AMD 5x86-133 I built. It is quite a good card for that machine.

The original price was $389, not too many people paired with a cheap cpu 😀 maybe in 96 was a little bit outdated, but the trio64v+ was always muchmuch cheaper.

Reply 29397 of 52359, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a new case for my 233MMX project. I'll be using its current case for something else because it has some sentimental value to me, but it just didn't turn out to be the fit I needed for this build.

My purchase was an AOpen H700A. It may not be 100% time period correct, but it was new old stock and will do exactly as I need. Seems to be from around 2002, so not too terrible. Seller pics attached.

yWbmBNXl.png UHlu0mql.png

The reason from changing from my current case is quite simple - this case has the four additional hard drive bays above the PSU, which is exactly what I needed for the build having a total of six HDDs.

It will still require some minor modifications to make it how I want it and to remove some of the "new" factor from it. Plans include swapping out the clippable 5.25" covers with regular ones from that big box of covers I found awhile back. Replacing the front USB area with some smoked acrylic and a MHz display which I have laying around and chopping up some of my blank ATX IO covers to support AT keyboard and have holes for Serial and Parallel ports.

Having a brand new PSU in there is a bonus too, but I'll find another home for that.

Also having so many 80mm fan locations will keep everything nice and cool - and a cool system is a happy and long lasting system! Looking at an archive of the AOpen site seems to indicate around seven fan slots. Absolutely wonderful.

Looking forward to it. 😀

Reply 29398 of 52359, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Finally found an IBM 365 for a half-way reasonable price. […]
Show full quote

ebay seller images:
kIIo7LWm.jpg
nDpD2F7m.jpg
m33DBxxm.jpg
MKXYthqm.jpg

It wont.

I have one of those (mines the 486 version of that chassis though). Its literally the most brittle plastic I've ever seen. It exploded into about 20 different pieces just trying to get the front plate off. And the damn computer doesn't work anyways.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 29399 of 52359, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the SE7221BK-E new with complete accessory

HuKJnv9.jpg
l8qIhCJ.jpg

got custom backplate since i don't want to bend my board with the stock intel cooler
AkKHvYn.jpg

also got the sk478 asus 915 board (the bottom pci-e slot was modded to test my friend sata raid card)
j7I5wCs.jpg

and also this bad boy:
MSI OEM IBM z-pro mainboard with dual 3.06 xeon 604 proc.
sRK5069.jpg

but for some reason, if i populate all 4 ram slot with the 1G DDR ECC REG, the board will faulted two random slot (sometime all slot is faulted)
the module i used is these:
MSeeHFC.jpg