VOGONS

ebay NOS dual pentium pro build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was very lucky that inside it was protected in plastic as fedex messed up and delivered it on the monday I had to go back to canada for work, but the first thing I did was fire it up and play planet X3. I love how it just works. I am trying to see if I can get down to texas to dig around at computer reset and see if i can get a CGI monitor for it an my tandy 1000 as well as some other goodies. I can believe how good of shape it is in.

Reply 42 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no damage at all, the outer box was slightly wet, but not even so bad as to let any moisture past that first layer.

on the pent pro board, are there any bios updates? I cant stand the fact that a server needs a ps2 keyboard to boot... 🤣

Reply 43 of 74, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats really nice bud. I would love to have somthing like that. May want to consider changing out all of those annoying little fans on the CPU heatsinks for something quieter. Personally little fans like that drive me up the wall. Also get that speaker away from your harddrives if all possible get rid of it altogether or find a tiny speaker, that can be mounted far away from any kinda magnetic storage.

Reply 44 of 74, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe there's a "halt on error" setting set in the bios that you can disable ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 45 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

Thats really nice bud. I would love to have somthing like that. May want to consider changing out all of those annoying little fans on the CPU heatsinks for something quieter. Personally little fans like that drive me up the wall. Also get that speaker away from your harddrives if all possible get rid of it altogether or find a tiny speaker, that can be mounted far away from any kinda magnetic storage.

Those little fans are actually very quiet. Without measurement equipment, I'd say they are in the 15-20db range.

The magnet size required to affect a hard drive is MASSIVE. That little pissant speaker wont even register. Now if you stored floppy disks on your desk and used a speaker as a paperweight...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 46 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

unfortunately no

and the fans arent loud, but they are in an annoying frequency range

Reply 47 of 74, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Electrohacker wrote:
Deksor wrote:

unfortunately no

Everyone's hearing is different. Science tells me I shouldn't be able to hear certain high frequencies that teenagers do, yet I do. So I get it. To me, those dual fan HSFs are whisper quiet compared to other server grade HSFs I've worked with, but I'm comparing that to Dell and Compaq rack servers I worked with for years in a data center. I would highly recommend you hold on to those if you do decide to replace them as those particular Socket 8 HSFs are not easy to find anymore and those are very high quality server grade coolers that Unisys sold with their Socket 8 based servers including the ALR 6x6.

Reply 48 of 74, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Warlord wrote:

Those little fans are actually very quiet. Without measurement equipment, I'd say they are in the 15-20db range.

The magnet size required to affect a hard drive is MASSIVE. That little pissant speaker wont even register. Now if you stored floppy disks on your desk and used a speaker as a paperweight...

THe magnets are just a pet peve of mine out of paranoia from having experienced rare cases of this actually happening when I worked as a computer repair tech around the early 2000. Also my ears are sensitive, and things give me headaches like stinky perfumes. and noises, I also have food fetishes and there is tons of things I wont eat.

Reply 49 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

THe magnets are just a pet peve of mine out of paranoia from having experienced rare cases of this actually happening when I worked as a computer repair tech around the early 2000. Also my ears are sensitive, and things give me headaches like stinky perfumes. and noises, I also have food fetishes and there is tons of things I wont eat.

umm...

Want to take another shot at that, chief?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 50 of 74, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Warlord wrote:

umm...

Want to take another shot at that, chief?

you dont have pet peeves?

Reply 52 of 74, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ya you are right about the magnets requiring a lot of force but it can happen. Maybe not with that little speaker Magnet. But having it near a HDD makes me cringe. The children in this video were able to make it happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EbpXUa-Pmk

Reply 53 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Electrohacker wrote:
Deksor wrote:

unfortunately no

Everyone's hearing is different. Science tells me I shouldn't be able to hear certain high frequencies that teenagers do, yet I do. So I get it. To me, those dual fan HSFs are whisper quiet compared to other server grade HSFs I've worked with, but I'm comparing that to Dell and Compaq rack servers I worked with for years in a data center. I would highly recommend you hold on to those if you do decide to replace them as those particular Socket 8 HSFs are not easy to find anymore and those are very high quality server grade coolers that Unisys sold with their Socket 8 based servers including the ALR 6x6.

oh they're going nowhere, I might just trade out the fans or hook up a fan controller of some kind... or do nothing, they arent that bad to be honest, just not as quiet as my threadripper (but what is with pwm controlled noctua fans?

Reply 54 of 74, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn that really is a fine looking machine, the Quad CPU fan's give it a this is some serous hardware look about it, although yeh you could replace just eh fans with something modern and quiet and probably get just as good cooling if it bothers you too much.

re the PS2 keyboard, You could just use a USB to PS2 adapter and keep it happy?

Funny coincidence I ended up having to replace the PSU on my duel PPro out of this haul, and got the 500W version of yours as it's only got a couple of CF cards. Mine didn't have the 4 pin break away on the motherboard connector though!?
I just swapped it with my Socket 775 machine with another Corsair PSU that did have the break away but was surprised

What's your plans for it now it's up and running?

Reply 55 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure, windows 2000 seems to be network incompatible with windows 7 and windows 10 and my raspberry pi's so I'll have to do some research to figure that out for file sharing, and I really want to see if someone makes a browser that is more compatible with the modern web, I know there will be some limits because of some missing cpu instructions but there has to be something better than firefox 10.7

Reply 56 of 74, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think your talking about NTLM
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/9827 … windows-2000-or

In addition newer version of Win10 (around about 1803 or 1809 onward) also disable SMB v1
https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2696 … -windows-server

I'd say browser will be the biggest challenge!

Reply 57 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so as an update to this I will be doing a tear down a rebuild soon to tidy up the wiring and add some case lighting so I can see the board better through the window. I will likely also dress up the cuts I made at the top a little better and finalize a few things with the mounting of the USB hub and adaptor hardware (it makes all the from USB work)

also I never ended up using it as a file server due to lack of time to figure out why i couldnt see the files from windows 10 and I made an unraid server from my old AMD FX machine (now up to 24TB)

I have also been focusing on my 286 luggable and tandy 100HX upgrades.

oh but I did get flash floppy installed on the gotek, that was a nice upgrade.

Reply 58 of 74, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice to see you are still enjoying the systems. I think a lot of people are going to revisit some projects due to the various lockdowns going on across the globe. As they say, through adversity comes innovation.

Reply 59 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2020-03-28, 16:16:

Nice to see you are still enjoying the systems. I think a lot of people are going to revisit some projects due to the various lockdowns going on across the globe. As they say, through adversity comes innovation.

even goodwill's online auctions are shrinking as they lose employees to not being essential... it's a bit weird. really shows [political comments ommited]