VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29461 of 52691, by hageir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rescued two Apple Performa 5200 and 5260/120 from the junkyard the day before,
the 5200 was a bit more beat up (broken plastic shell) but actually booted to 7.5.1.
The 5260/120 was in better shape, physically, but the CRT was a bit flimsy, took it apart (without breaking the brittle plastic -MASSAGING/WARMING up the plastic and patience is the key) and cleaned it thoroughly and now it boots up fine (OS 8.5)
just installed a IDE -> CF card adapter in the 5200, having trouble moving files over (SCSI CD-ROM, probably doesn't read CDs over 650 MB or something)

Found this stuff yesterday in a dumpster ..... (bunch of ISA video and sound cards) along with a bunch of DIN cables

isa-pci-kort.jpg
Filename
isa-pci-kort.jpg
File size
72.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and this fantastic Hyundai Pentium 1 Computer with a bunch of ISA and PCI slots

hyundai.jpg
Filename
hyundai.jpg
File size
140.32 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 29462 of 52691, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never intended to buy 286 era hardware but then I saw this board listed locally for a reasonable sum, and it had onboard I/O, FDC and IDE controllers so I couldn't say no.

Unknown 286-16 HT12-A3A0050.JPG
Filename
Unknown 286-16 HT12-A3A0050.JPG
File size
499.67 KiB
Views
File license

But then I removed the battery and oh, the horror.. This is what it looks like after an quick wipe down with alcohol wipes:

Unknown 286-16 HT12-A3A0050 Battery Damage.JPG
Filename
Unknown 286-16 HT12-A3A0050 Battery Damage.JPG
File size
1.78 MiB
Views
File license

Lots of vinegar and alcohol will be needed for this. A lot of traces are gone, I'll be spending quite a few nights checking for continuity and soldering botch wires before I will even test it for POST.

I hope it's repairable at my skill level 😒

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29465 of 52691, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hageir wrote:
Found this stuff yesterday in a dumpster ..... (bunch of ISA video and sound cards) along with a bunch of DIN cables […]
Show full quote

Found this stuff yesterday in a dumpster ..... (bunch of ISA video and sound cards) along with a bunch of DIN cables

isa-pci-kort.jpg

hyundai.jpg

Man I need a better dumpster 😀 Nice!

Reply 29466 of 52691, by hageir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
hageir wrote:
Found this stuff yesterday in a dumpster ..... (bunch of ISA video and sound cards) along with a bunch of DIN cables […]
Show full quote

isa-pci-kort.jpg

hyundai.jpg

Man I need a better dumpster 😀 Nice!

🤣
and I’m in Iceland of all places! Talk about rarities!!

Reply 29468 of 52691, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Murugan wrote:

Oh these silent killers...

Well.. it wasn't as bad as it looked, after some vigorous vinegar, alcohol and sanding:

Unknown-286-16-HT12-A3-A0050-Battery-Damage.jpg => Unknown_286-16_HT12-A3A0050_Battery_Repair_2.jpg

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-07-18, 21:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29470 of 52691, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I met a friendly local today to get a few parts, they had a box and several folders full of CPUs for me to go through and pick... but to not break the bank I only took a handful for now, might get back to them though if I need something specific, was mostly "newer" stuff though ^^

I collected a bunch of Pentium IIs already but not a single 300 for some reason but now I got one to downgrade my slot 1 system with... downgrade? yes, because that was my original configuration, and I'm trying to rebuild it ^^
also for some reason there wasn't a single tualatin in all the scrap boxes I bought, so now I got one too and a 1400 at that... also golden orb 😊
the case is going to need some fixing up though ^^

hardware09.jpg
Filename
hardware09.jpg
File size
110.56 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 29471 of 52691, by hageir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:
I met a friendly local today to get a few parts, they had a box and several folders full of CPUs for me to go through and pick.. […]
Show full quote

I met a friendly local today to get a few parts, they had a box and several folders full of CPUs for me to go through and pick... but to not break the bank I only took a handful for now, might get back to them though if I need something specific, was mostly "newer" stuff though ^^

I collected a bunch of Pentium IIs already but not a single 300 for some reason but now I got one to downgrade my slot 1 system with... downgrade? yes, because that was my original configuration, and I'm trying to rebuild it ^^
also for some reason there wasn't a single tualatin in all the scrap boxes I bought, so now I got one too and a 1400 at that... also golden orb 😊

hardware09.jpg

AMEN!
That's the spirit, I do agree on slower speeds (especially MIDI Sequencers for example)
I'll give you a tour of the place if you come back to Iceland hehehehe

Reply 29472 of 52691, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:
I met a friendly local today to get a few parts, they had a box and several folders full of CPUs for me to go through and pick.. […]
Show full quote

That case looks familiar! JB Weld Plastic Bonder works wonders, just get a dremel and sand a groove along the inside of the crack for it to bond to.

This piece of tech came in today. It should help me get at least one of my XT clones working. I love the craftsmanship of Monotech. The white PCB and clear silkscreen labels are great.

20190717_175452.jpg
Filename
20190717_175452.jpg
File size
492.8 KiB
Views
File license

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 29473 of 52691, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's flea market acquisitions: a circa 1995 monitor, 3 new mice, and an ISA ethernet card.

Attachments

• 20190718_111836-1.jpg
    Filename
    20190718_111836-1.jpg
    File size
    604.28 KiB
    Views
    File license

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 29474 of 52691, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

last flea market I went to was a total bust, just a bunch of laptops and TFTs from the "boring era"... only hardware parts were a box full of DDR and newer ram.

Reply 29475 of 52691, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of these Ram upgrade kits....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-500-OnBoard-0- … BoAAOSw~RVaFYzl

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 29476 of 52691, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This (not so) little beauty:
L8t8kEi.jpg

According to the FCC ID, it's a Dih Shin DS-2000 keyboard, and it's from 1990. It certainly feels old, but in very good shape, and with nice clicky MX Blue switches. The keycaps are particularly impressive, thick heavy double-shot OEM profile caps - although probably ABS, not PBT. I'd been looking for a pre-Windows-keys-era board with MX Blue, and I now definitely have one. Plus it's much more solid than a Cherry G80-3000 (and easier to find than a G80-1000 with MX Blues apparently). Next week I should put it head to head with an old Alps White board 😉

Reply 29477 of 52691, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

another antec case.

Antec SLK1650

Antec SLK1650.jpg
Filename
Antec SLK1650.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 29478 of 52691, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:

found this gem for the price of shipping 😀

hardware08.jpg

OMFG I used to have one of those! It looks like it's in great shape. I'm jealous.

Reply 29479 of 52691, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it has a few tiny cracks in the case and is a bit rough, but I should be able to fix it up I guess... it is the PC version.
apparently you can still get them here: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/accesori.htm