VOGONS

First post, by an81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have a Radeon 9600pro running in my Windows 98SE pc with the Catalyst 5.2 driver. I've noticed that forcing AA in Half-life seems to have no effect, in Direct3d it's fine. I can have AA with this very same system in WinXP and Catalyst 5.8. Why is this and can R420 do OpenGL AA under Win98?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I seem to remember some problems of that kind on both ATI and Geforce cards. I think the game uses a way of writing to the screen buffer so that the driver doesn't have access it for anti-aliasing. That technique was probably faster on some old hardware. My guess is that the windows XP drivers do not allow that kind of rendering so Half-Life uses a more "standard" method. Here are some things you can try:

Upgrade to a newer version of Half-Life
Using 32-bit color (put -bpp 32 in the command line)
Look in the ATI drivers for something related to buffer flipping (probably not there anymore in driver from 2005).
You can also try to change gl_d3dflip to 1 in the console followed by vid_restart.

Hope any of this helps.

Reply 2 of 8, by an81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lost77 wrote:
I seem to remember some problems of that kind on both ATI and Geforce cards. I think the game uses a way of writing to the scree […]
Show full quote

I seem to remember some problems of that kind on both ATI and Geforce cards. I think the game uses a way of writing to the screen buffer so that the driver doesn't have access it for anti-aliasing. That technique was probably faster on some old hardware. My guess is that the windows XP drivers do not allow that kind of rendering so Half-Life uses a more "standard" method. Here are some things you can try:

Upgrade to a newer version of Half-Life
Using 32-bit color (put -bpp 32 in the command line)
Look in the ATI drivers for something related to buffer flipping (probably not there anymore in driver from 2005).
You can also try to change gl_d3dflip to 1 in the console followed by vid_restart.

Hope any of this helps.

This may be it, I just realized that I forgot to mention my Windows 98SE HL version is WON 1.1.1.0 and Windows XP one was some unofficial Steam-rip-like mod assemblage that would not install on 98SE (because of the installer used). I've since fiddled with unofficial service packs and may give it another go. I should also mention AA wasn't working with Catalyst 4.2 either. Thank you for the color depth suggestion though, will try that as well.

Reply 4 of 8, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got a similar problem with a Radeon 9800 Pro and windows 98. Downgrading to an older driver version fixed it for me. I used 3.8 since that was the only old one I had readily available.

Maybe ATI didn't bother supporting it in the late windows 98 drivers and just disabled it in the drivers?

Last edited by lost77 on 2019-07-25, 10:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you please try it with Catalyst 3.10?

https://www.helpjet.net/Fs-82532769-59851182- … 16-devices.html

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 8 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a 32-bit color limitation with Radeon MSAA initially (that's R300 and newer). I think later drivers worked around that by silently forcing 32-bit. I ran into this back in the day with X-Wing Alliance.

The Rage3D forum is good for finding old info via search btw.