VOGONS

First post, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game requires some serious memory management to run it with SB support, and back when I had a real DOS machine I used QEMM for it. Unfortunately, the game doesn't work under DOSBox with SB, and QEMM will obviously have no effect under DOSBox. Any suggestions?

Reply 3 of 55, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

search the forum

Ok, I did, and I saw alot of people had similar problems. I think I found the thread you wanted me to find, here's a quote:

robertmo wrote:
Finally I have managed to run "Innocent Until Caught" with sound blaster and I do hear sound effects :) […]
Show full quote

Finally I have managed to run "Innocent Until Caught" with sound blaster and I do hear sound effects 😀

I just had to use ct-voice.drv from this driver update "Updated DOS Drivers for SBPro 2 (CT-1600) (v1.0) (OLD)" from creative labs downlad page.
It works with DosBox 0.60 and with CVS

Those drivers doesn't work:
"Updated DOS Drivers for SB 2.0 (v1.0) (OLD)"
"Updated DOS Drivers for SB 1.5 (v1.0)"
Just for you to know that you cannot just grab any driver pack 😉

Now I wonder whether it could be usefull to add this working ct-voice.drv and a line "SET SOUND=place where DRV folder is located" to the new version of DosBox
for example:
when driver is in c:\sound\drv\ct-voice.drv
it looks like these:
SET SOUND=C:\SOUND
(without an ending backslash)

Well, I did that, and it worked! Thanks.
Now I have a different question that I don't think was brought up here:
Are there suppsoed to be any sound effects in the intro? Disk 3 of my original copy got bad sectors, so I had to download the game, and I don't hear any sound effects in the intro. The first sound effect I hear is when Jack's space ship lands right before gameplay begins.

Reply 8 of 55, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I got them by going to soundblaster.com, support, downloads. Then you have to choose country, the catch is not every path there leads to the files 😀
By choosing, Europe, Austria,Albania,english is a good way for example. Then choose soundblaster, others, pro. Next page tells you the suport has been dropped, click on search archive. Next pae just exchange XP with Dos and you will strike gold 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 55, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

I got them by going to soundblaster.com, support, downloads. Then you have to choose country, the catch is not every path there leads to the files 😀
By choosing, Europe, Austria,Albania,english is a good way for example. Then choose soundblaster, others, pro. Next page tells you the suport has been dropped, click on search archive. Next pae just exchange XP with Dos and you will strike gold 😀

Bingo, but....

Now the game says it cannot open the driver. I made sure the SOUND= line was correct and it was, but it still won't run the game.

Reply 10 of 55, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

did load the driver?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 55, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a direct link to downlaod the driver from Creative Labs, it's not easy to find: CLICK HERE

Now, avatar_58, make sure you put the drivers in C:\SOUND\DRV and the game in C:\IUC.
Then mount your entire drive C: in DOSBox (mount c c:\). It should work.

robertmo wrote:

Your version is ok. I even have a cd version but it the same as floppy. It has just a language to choose.

Really? All that spaceship action in the intro and no sound effects? It "sounds" too quiet to me... and it's weird that when Jack lands his spaceship right before gameplay starts, you DO get a (not so great) spaceship sound effect.

Reply 13 of 55, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man this is starting to bug me.... 😒

I've tried everything and it still won't work. I mounted everything properly, SET SOUND is correct, the DRV version is correct.....game's sound set to "Soundblaster".....nothing.

I tried in CVS and in 0.63 and I get the same answer "Unable to install sound driver" 😵

Arg....

Reply 15 of 55, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should add that:

"Updated DOS Drivers for SBPro 2 (CT-1600) (v1.0) (OLD)" works with type=sbpro1 and type=sbpro2

"Updated DOS Drivers for SB 2.0 (v1.0) (OLD)" works with type=sb2

"Updated DOS Drivers for SB 1.5 (v1.0)" doesn't work with dosbox cause dosbox doesn't emulate sb1.5

I also wonder about type=sb1
Was there a ctvoice.drv for sb1? and if not does this mean that Innocent until caught and other games using ctvoice.drv don't work with sb1?

Reply 17 of 55, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also download ctvoice.drv for sound blaster 16 but it is 30kB. It will not leave enough memory for the game itself. You should try to figure out how you have been able to play this game with your sb16 cause i am very curious too.

Reply 18 of 55, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are also 2 more small ctvoice.drv available at Home Of The Underdogs.

Mok's Alternate Sound Blaster card driver for 'Innocent Until Caught'. […]
Show full quote

Mok's Alternate Sound Blaster card driver for 'Innocent Until Caught'.

If you have problems with the sound, you can try using this
driver instead of the one that comes with the download at HOTU.

It's worked for quite a few people, so it's worth a try, but as
always, your mileage may vary. 😀

I wonder what cards are these two ctvoice.drv for, cause i wasn't able to run them with any of my awe32, awe64 cards, nor in any configuration in dosbox or vdmsound

SirGraham: Do you still have the same copy of the game you played in the past on your Sound Blaster 16? Maybe you have drivers for that card, or even the whole old computer.

Reply 19 of 55, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I do have that old computer stored somewhere, although it's not really accessible right now. It has some original SB16 drivers that came with the hardware. I am planning on booting it up one of these days so I can take the drivers from it (as well as other stuff).
But I do remember how I made the game work with SB16 - I used QEMM, without it the game didn't have enough memory.
And by the way, I'm still using the same copy of the game that I used on that old 486.