VOGONS

Sound effects in Colonization

Topic actions

First post, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I've been told that we shouldn't make game-specific requests for features we'd like in DOSbox, so I thought I might start a thread to try and get to the bottom of the _technical_ reason why sound effects are horked in Colonization in DOSbox, and as far as I can tell, always have been.

That is, they are when you select any kind of SoundBlaster for the effects, and the SoundBlaster selections have by far the best effects (I know, I've heard them when they work!) The game just doesn't seem the same without an Indian war cry when an Indian raid occurs, etc. 😉

Weirdly, you do seem to get some kind of effects when you use the Covox setting, not sure why as I didn't think DOSbox was meant to emulate the Covox. However when you select any kind of SoundBlaster, no matter what DOSbox is emulating (I've pretty much tried all the combinations of Colonization settings and DOSbox sound emulation settings), you just get VERY loud static instead of proper sound effects. Anyone technical know why this might be and how we can fix it?

BTW I can attach a copy of Colonization if it's needed for testing purposes.

== Jez ==

Reply 1 of 21, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON PREVIOUS POST:

I've just discovered that actually, selecting Covox doesn't give you any extra sound effects. The stuff I heard with MIDI/Covox was just the MIDI being used to give something akin to a digitized sound effect. The same happens with Adlib selected for music. But it's not proper sound effects.

So, sound effects either don't work at all, or you just get nasty loud static with all SoundBlaster options. In addition, normal/dynamic core makes no difference. What is unique about Colonization that causes this (I haven't noticed this with any other games)?

== Jez ==

Reply 2 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jez wrote:

BTW I can attach a copy of Colonization if it's needed for testing purposes.

NO. That isn't supported here.

And, besides, I am moving your post to the DOSBox Games/Apps. section of the forum, because I don't know what it has to do with DEVELOPMENT.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2006-02-16, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I have already told you via PM, let's hear what some DOSBox developer (Qbix, Harekiet) have to say about this.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a gray area as to which section of the forum this belongs. I would say development *if* there's no chance that the issue can be solved via configuration of the game or DOSBox.

Reply 8 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I had a brief look at colonozation. They play the sound effect from ems mapped memory.

The location of this thread is fine in games/apps

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 21, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These games work in dosbox with proper sound effeccts whey you boot from a hdd image with this line in config.sys:

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe frame=e000

- Return of the Phantom,
- Colonization,
- didn't check Dragon Sphere, as I think it has digitized sound effects only on a cd and i think it is not possible to use cd with hdd image in dosbox

Reply 14 of 21, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I just went to all the trouble (and it is quite a bit of trouble!) of creating and setting up a bootable hard disk image, copying useful DOS files and apps to it, as well as Colonization, setup config.sys to use himem.sys and that emm386 line, and...

The goddamn sound effects are just as b0rked as BEFORE!!! robertmo, I hope you never see me, because if so you won't be around to see much else...

😜

== Jez ==

Reply 16 of 21, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

Tests with emm386 are useless because it runs in v86 mode and
is only an ems emulator, that's why i asked whether somebody
knows if it ran with ems boards.

Dragon Sphere and Return of The Phantom work with my AST Rampage card configured to provide expanded memory in a 286 computer.

Reply 18 of 21, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I was just testing whether these games work, but wasn't testing with a sound card.

Dragon Sphere (floppy version) has digitized sound effects when you jump down the well.

I have managed to make my AST Rampage card configured to provide expanded memory working in a 386 and also 486 computer too.

So Colonization works too.

Although I have noticed that digitized sound effects are not played properly in all three games with ems card - You hear only a loud noice - same as it was in dosbox in the past.